Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I like Vilardi and think he has a shot to be a very good player as well. Like Mittelstadt, Andersson and some of the other prospects that I put into a similar grouping, he has his flaws and concerns. But I think he's another one who is an incredibly intelligent player and could play for a very long time, without ever scoring 30 goals or 70 points.

Frankly, I think Andersson and Vilardi play a much more similar game than most people have touched on. I would argue that Andersson's numbers in the OHL would probably be similar to Vilardi's and both project to fill similar roles in the NHL.

I think this is bang on. I also wanted Vilardi at #7, but Anderson is proving to have more of a potential impact than I was expecting.

I don't care if he quietly amasses points or if he dangles a couple guys to get them. If he constantly keeps the puck moving in the right direction, then all of these points that seem like happenstance will become the norm.

Reminds me of how (and not comparing the two) Quickie is like Where's Waldo when you go back and look at important playoff goals for us over the last few years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think this is bang on. I also wanted Vilardi at #7, but Anderson is proving to have more of a potential impact than I was expecting.

I don't care if he quietly amasses points or if he dangles a couple guys to get them. If he constantly keeps the puck moving in the right direction, then all of these points that seem like happenstance will become the norm.

Reminds me of how (and not comparing the two) Quickie is like Where's Waldo when you go back and look at important playoff goals for us over the last few years.

Vilardi is a heck of a prospect, and it's shocking he fell the way he did.

Even though he projects somewhat similar to Andersson, I think he was on the radar a bit longer (for better and worse) and people are always going to have a greater comfort level with CHL prospects.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Its common these days to be wary of prospects with skating concerns. There are question about Lias's skating, there are even bigger questions about Vilardi.

That said I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up the best center from the draft. Just like it wasn't shocking Getzlaf became the best center from his. He's very skilled.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Its common these days to be wary of prospects with skating concerns. There are question about Lias's skating, there are even bigger questions about Vilardi.

That said I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up the best center from the draft. Just like it wasn't shocking Getzlaf became the best center from his. He's very skilled.
Yeah this is where I'm at too. He seems to have some sick skills but I'm super hesitant to use a great pick on anyone who nearly everybody agrees has a skating issue, especially with how the league has evolved in the past few years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For me, the skating issue is important, but somewhat overblown these days.

Yes, the league is faster than ever.

Yes, it can be the difference between whether a player is a star or a support player, or whether or not they make the NHL.

But, I also think the players with higher hockey IQs tend to do fine. Maybe it prevents them from being a first line, high octane center, but they're still likely to have long, highly successful careers.

I get that some teams wanted to roll the dice on what they felt was more "homerun" potential, but I doubt a guy like Andersson or Vilardi doesn't make it because of skating.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Good goal in my book. We need someone who can get greasy goals around the crease.

One of the things Andersson has shownis a tendency to know where to be on the ice.

It made me think about something Beacon said earlier about not necessarily standing out and yet somehow having 8 points in 10 (I'm paraphrasing him, I know).

That video kind of sums it up. As you watch, you're really not paying attention to Andersson and then suddenly there he is and he puts the puck in the net. That's kind of what he's often about - he understands where he needs to be.

There are a lot of young players out there with skills to burn - be it skating, shooting, stick handling, etc. But a lot of them really struggle with knowing where to be, or how to be in a position to maximize their chances of success. Andersson tends to get that.

Obviously he's still a work in progress, as all teenage hockey players are, but I think it's something that is going help him as he adjusts and grows as player.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
One of the things Andersson has shownis a tendency to know where to be on the ice.

It made me think about something Beacon said earlier about not necessarily standing out and yet somehow having 8 points in 10 (I'm paraphrasing him, I know).

That video kind of sums it up. As you watch, you're really not paying attention to Andersson and then suddenly there he is and he puts the puck in the net. That's kind of what he's often about - he understands where he needs to be.

There are a lot of young players out there with skills to burn - be it skating, shooting, stick handling, etc. But a lot of them really struggle with knowing where to be, or how to be in a position to maximize their chances of success. Andersson tends to get that.

Obviously he's still a work in progress, as all teenage hockey players are, but I think it's something that is going help him as he adjusts and grows as player.
Well put. You can see him anticipating the puck coming out there and you can also see that nobody on the opposing team has that anticipation. Of course, this is AHL competition but still for a 19 year old to have that sense already is a great sign.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Gaborik will be remembered for his speed and skill but a huge contributor to his success were the dirty goals he scored right around the net. It was like he always knew where the puck would end up. He could be invisible for long stretches and just find a way to be in the right place at the right time even though he couldn't out muscle anyone.

Some of that is instinct but a lot of it is the tenacity to work for open space and the ability to finish. Lias has all 3.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Gaborik will be remembered for his speed and skill but a huge contributor to his success were the dirty goals he scored right around the net. It was like he always knew where the puck would end up. He could be invisible for long stretches and just find a way to be in the right place at the right time even though he couldn't out muscle anyone.

Some of that is instinct but a lot of it is the tenacity to work for open space and the ability to finish. Lias has all 3.

Drury was great at those dirty goals too.

In Buffalo.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think if you add up Andersson's totals for the year it comes to 27 goals and 19 assists in 59 games (as per Amazing Kreiderman's stats). Pretty good for a 19 year old who has played for five teams.

And aside from his national team games, all in pro leagues. Not college hockey, not junior hockey. No, actual pro-hockey in the SHL, CHL and AHL.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Good goal in my book. We need someone who can get greasy goals around the crease.
That isn't grease really, he just has very good fundementals around the net, and that was a helluva shot from up close. How often do we see Vesey or some grinder just pound that into the pads or if they do manage to lift it just straight at the chest

Reactions: haveandare

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
A friend who's a scout gave them to me :)
I think they're publicly available too at hockeynews but i hate that site.
Ah, nice. I've got a friend who works with stats but he couldn't get a hold of the advanced stats.
I've only seen Corsi for each game at hockeynews. And agreed, it is a horrible site.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
That’s how LA does it. He did the same in the summer wjc thing.. he always seems to be in the right position with the right timing to swoop in and pot it.. should work out great.

The young D (especially ADA) guys are getting shots that force nice rebounds, we haven’t been able to consistently jump on those.

Reactions: haveandare

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Ah, nice. I've got a friend who works with stats but he couldn't get a hold of the advanced stats.
I've only seen Corsi for each game at hockeynews. And agreed, it is a horrible site.

Yeah, there are those who keep track and add after each game from hockeynews though, i'm guessing that's how he got them.

Reactions: Aahlstroem
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad