Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
jeez, what is up with the sabres taking guys with troubled histories/bad boy reputations? kane, eichel, mittlestadt

heck, didn't ryan o'reilly (not taken, but still their property) crash his car into a building or something?

that fact makes me think of phil kessel. unfortunately for him, i don't think he has that shot

While intoxicated.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
First round recap:

Okay, admitted: I'm a bit drunk and just got home from work. This makes me just three to six times more knowledgeable than Pierre McGuire. Which is admittedly embarrassing.

1 NJ -- C N. Hischier: we all know I was pro-Patrick, but I said all along that other way we get our franchise center. I'm very happy and the Devils have the best group of F prospects in the NHL this side of Arizona.
2 PHI -- C N. Patrick: Patrick will be a great player and I wish him the best.
3 DAL -- LD M. Heiskanen: small chance he will be the best D from the 2017 draft, but he will make the most immediate impact
4 COL -- RD C. Makar: just a dynamic and special talent, Colorado finally gets something right, very likely the best D from the class of 2017
5 VAN -- C/LW E. Pettersson: Vilardi or Glass would have been more popular picks in Vancouver, but Pettersson/Necas had just as much upside
6 LV -- C C. Glass: reminiscent of Scheifele, this kid has a ton of upside and was a brilliant pick
7 NYR -- C/LW L. Andersson: worst pick in the draft. Andersson is a swiss army knife and coach's dream, but Rangers have long lacked a franchise C and the Rangers passed up on three to try to win now, which they lack the ability to do. Rangers had a shot at Andersson at #21 and should have traded down if they were this sold on him.
8 BUF -- C C. Mittelstadt: gutsy call, maybe most offensive upside of any F in draft but also conditioning issues and bust potential
9 DET -- C M. Rasmussen: Arnott-like power C is not typical Detroit pick but gives them added dimension in top 6
10 FLA -- RW O. Tippett: Florida addresses glaring lack of goal-scoring Ws in organization
11 LAK -- C G. Vilardi: Kings must have been shocked that 'Patrick-lite' fell this far
12 CAR -- C/RW M. Necas: unbelievable offensive upside/competitive edge, could be steal of draft
13 LV -- C N. Suzuki: McPhee gets his 1st/2nd line centers out of the way right away
14 TB -- RD C. Foote: highest floor D in draft, this kid is just solid, steady and skilled
15 LV -- RD E. Brannstrom: with 3 first rounders, McPhee could afford to take chance on high-upside offensive D
16 CGY -- LD J. Valimaki: loaded with talent at F, Flames take steady but unspectacular young D
17 TOR -- RD T. Liljegren: Leafs swing for the fences with boom/bust offensive D
18 BOS -- LD U. Vaakanainen: Bruins GM Sweeney continues to make baffling picks, could have traded down 10-15 spots and still got him and Boston has far superior D in prospect pipeline
19 SJ -- C J. Norris: I don't think this pick was as surprising as media made it out to be, Norris is can't-miss, two-way 2nd line C
20 STL -- C R. Thomas: Blues address organizational thinness at C with talented young London pivot
21 NYR -- C/LW F. Chytil: where I lambasted Rangers off the board pick at #7, I really like their off the board pick here. Chytil has dynamic, top-line upside
22 EDM -- RW/LW K. Yamamoto: best pick in second half of first round, dynamic Gaudreau clone could top 90+ points one day on line with McDavid
23 ARI -- LD P. Joseph: Coyotes desperate for young D, make awful deal of #7 with Rangers then reach for Joseph (though Hjalmarsson deal was shrewd)
24 WPG -- LW/RW K. Vesalainen: in two years, top line of Scheifele/Laine/Vesalainen will be downright dirty
25 MTL -- C R. Poehling: could high-upside power-C Poehling be answer to Habs endless quest for #1 C? It's a miracle he fell this low.
26 DAL -- G J. Oettinger: Stars trade up to get the answer for their woes between the pipes
27 PHI -- C M. Frost: although I am a fan of most of Hextall's moves, trading Schenn for a F who will not likely be as good as Schenn and likely would have been available into the mid-second round is baffling
28 OTT -- C S. Bowers: Sens make shrewd grab of prototypical power second line C with speed
29 CHI -- RD H. Jokiharju: normally I am a huge fan of Bowman, but the Hjalmarsson trade was awful and Jokiharju is a big reach here
30 NSH -- LW/RW E. Tolvanen: GM Poile is a shark on draft day -- Tolvanen is a sniper with 40 goal upside
31 STL -- RW K. Kostin: would have gone in top 15 were it not for injuries and Russian surname, great grab for Blues

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
DEVILS DAY TWO DRAFT TARGETS

The Devils pick very soon, at #36. Exactly the guy they need has inexplicably fallen out of the first round: Conor Timmins. A smooth-skating and slick passing RD, Timmins also excels in his own zone and is not afraid to play physical. The Devils have certainly seen a lot of Timmins, as he plays in Sault Ste. Marie with Devils prospects Blake Speers and Colin White.

If Timmins goes in the first 5 picks of the second round, the Devils will likely have a shot at a group of very high upside Fs in Alex Lipanov, Joni Ikonen, Alex Heponiemi and Jaret Anderson-Dolan.

In the third round and beyond, I expect the Devils to focus on the blueline. High upside players to watch include Samberg, Samorukov, Minulin, Ferraro, Gildon, Farrance, Phillips, Miller, Brook, Mitchell.

It should be a very interesting day. Keep in mind the Devils are absolutely loaded with blue-chip young Fs now: Hall, Hischier, McLeod, Zacha. Not even to mention very good prospects in Anderson, Bastian, Maltsev, Speers et al. Things are really looking up, but today will be crucial for the future.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Why would a top ten pick risk waiting that long to go UFA? Usually you think of the late risers (third round pick that blossoms) being the ones to try that.

Besides, I'm sure Mittelstadt grew up dreaming of being a Ranger. I look forward to his piece in the Players Tribune.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Timmins
Boqvist
Lind
Comtois
Gildon
Samberg

I'm disliking the Muller trade even more...I hope I'm wrong about him

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
First round recap:

Okay, admitted: I'm a bit drunk and just got home from work. This makes me just three to six times more knowledgeable than Pierre McGuire. Which is admittedly embarrassing.

1 NJ -- C N. Hischier: we all know I was pro-Patrick, but I said all along that other way we get our franchise center. I'm very happy and the Devils have the best group of F prospects in the NHL this side of Arizona.
2 PHI -- C N. Patrick: Patrick will be a great player and I wish him the best.
3 DAL -- LD M. Heiskanen: small chance he will be the best D from the 2017 draft, but he will make the most immediate impact
4 COL -- RD C. Makar: just a dynamic and special talent, Colorado finally gets something right, very likely the best D from the class of 2017
5 VAN -- C/LW E. Pettersson: Vilardi or Glass would have been more popular picks in Vancouver, but Pettersson/Necas had just as much upside
6 LV -- C C. Glass: reminiscent of Scheifele, this kid has a ton of upside and was a brilliant pick
7 NYR -- C/LW L. Andersson: worst pick in the draft. Andersson is a swiss army knife and coach's dream, but Rangers have long lacked a franchise C and the Rangers passed up on three to try to win now, which they lack the ability to do. Rangers had a shot at Andersson at #21 and should have traded down if they were this sold on him.
8 BUF -- C C. Mittelstadt: gutsy call, maybe most offensive upside of any F in draft but also conditioning issues and bust potential
9 DET -- C M. Rasmussen: Arnott-like power C is not typical Detroit pick but gives them added dimension in top 6
10 FLA -- RW O. Tippett: Florida addresses glaring lack of goal-scoring Ws in organization
11 LAK -- C G. Vilardi: Kings must have been shocked that 'Patrick-lite' fell this far
12 CAR -- C/RW M. Necas: unbelievable offensive upside/competitive edge, could be steal of draft
13 LV -- C N. Suzuki: McPhee gets his 1st/2nd line centers out of the way right away
14 TB -- RD C. Foote: highest floor D in draft, this kid is just solid, steady and skilled
15 LV -- RD E. Brannstrom: with 3 first rounders, McPhee could afford to take chance on high-upside offensive D
16 CGY -- LD J. Valimaki: loaded with talent at F, Flames take steady but unspectacular young D
17 TOR -- RD T. Liljegren: Leafs swing for the fences with boom/bust offensive D
18 BOS -- LD U. Vaakanainen: Bruins GM Sweeney continues to make baffling picks, could have traded down 10-15 spots and still got him and Boston has far superior D in prospect pipeline
19 SJ -- C J. Norris: I don't think this pick was as surprising as media made it out to be, Norris is can't-miss, two-way 2nd line C
20 STL -- C R. Thomas: Blues address organizational thinness at C with talented young London pivot
21 NYR -- C/LW F. Chytil: where I lambasted Rangers off the board pick at #7, I really like their off the board pick here. Chytil has dynamic, top-line upside
22 EDM -- RW/LW K. Yamamoto: best pick in second half of first round, dynamic Gaudreau clone could top 90+ points one day on line with McDavid
23 ARI -- LD P. Joseph: Coyotes desperate for young D, make awful deal of #7 with Rangers then reach for Joseph (though Hjalmarsson deal was shrewd)
24 WPG -- LW/RW K. Vesalainen: in two years, top line of Scheifele/Laine/Vesalainen will be downright dirty
25 MTL -- C R. Poehling: could high-upside power-C Poehling be answer to Habs endless quest for #1 C? It's a miracle he fell this low.
26 DAL -- G J. Oettinger: Stars trade up to get the answer for their woes between the pipes
27 PHI -- C M. Frost: although I am a fan of most of Hextall's moves, trading Schenn for a F who will not likely be as good as Schenn and likely would have been available into the mid-second round is baffling
28 OTT -- C S. Bowers: Sens make shrewd grab of prototypical power second line C with speed
29 CHI -- RD H. Jokiharju: normally I am a huge fan of Bowman, but the Hjalmarsson trade was awful and Jokiharju is a big reach here
30 NSH -- LW/RW E. Tolvanen: GM Poile is a shark on draft day -- Tolvanen is a sniper with 40 goal upside
31 STL -- RW K. Kostin: would have gone in top 15 were it not for injuries and Russian surname, great grab for Blues

Carolina is going to be scary.... soon. If they end up flipping a D for say a Duchene or Galchenyuk, that team is a solid G away from being trouble for a very long time.

The last 2 picks of the round were great value.

Thanks for the write up STI!

The Devils pick very soon, at #36. Exactly the guy they need has inexplicably fallen out of the first round: Conor Timmins. A smooth-skating and slick passing RD, Timmins also excels in his own zone and is not afraid to play physical. The Devils have certainly seen a lot of Timmins, as he plays in Sault Ste. Marie with Devils prospects Blake Speers and Colin White.

If Timmins goes in the first 5 picks of the second round, the Devils will likely have a shot at a group of very high upside Fs in Alex Lipanov, Joni Ikonen, Alex Heponiemi and Jaret Anderson-Dolan.

In the third round and beyond, I expect the Devils to focus on the blueline. High upside players to watch include Samberg, Samorukov, Minulin, Ferraro, Gildon, Farrance, Phillips, Miller, Brook, Mitchell.

It should be a very interesting day. Keep in mind the Devils are absolutely loaded with blue-chip young Fs now: Hall, Hischier, McLeod, Zacha. Not even to mention very good prospects in Anderson, Bastian, Maltsev, Speers et al. Things are really looking up, but today will be crucial for the future.

I hope they get Timmins just based on how much you've talked about him. Don't forget about Quennville in that young core of forwards you mentioned.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
how does that affect getting Timmins? Plays on the other side and if need be, it won't cost 2x second rounders to move 4 spots.

It doesn't really. But I'm not very high on Muller and with the talent sliding the Devils could've picked up two players with solid upside in the 2nd and still had the possibility of stealing someone at the COL pick. Now that the pick is gone they're at the mercy of other teams to see who falls all the way to the 3rd...unless Shero can/wants to deal up.

That group I posted is my wishlist of players to grab two of today. Without the trade, the Devils would've been positioned well to grab at least two of them. Now, they'll have the opportunity to get one, but after that who knows. As far as Timmins specifically and moving up, if they wanted to do it probably would've cost the COL 3rd. Without that additional 2nd, a deal up locks in one player and wipes out (potentially) any other pick of significance for the rest of the draft.

I'm going to trust the FO on Muller and hope he pans out.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Timmins
Boqvist
Lind
Comtois
Gildon
Samberg

I'm disliking the Muller trade even more...I hope I'm wrong about him

Yep, it would be much better to have 36 & 49 than Mueller.
I dislike the trade immensly.

I know we have s lot of forward prospects but I hope we dont pass on high end offense skilled players like Ikonen or Boqvist just to draft defense.

I like Timmons and Farrance though, but not Any other of tge vanilla safe defensive prospects still on the board and think Gildon will bust

Huge day for the NJD franchise today!

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
jeez, what is up with the sabres taking guys with troubled histories/bad boy reputations? kane, eichel, mittlestadt

heck, didn't ryan o'reilly (not taken, but still their property) crash his car into a building or something?

that fact makes me think of phil kessel. unfortunately for him, i don't think he has that shot

Eichel had neither of those things

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Yep, it would be much better to have 36 & 49 than Mueller.
I dislike the trade immensly.

I know we have s lot of forward prospects but I hope we dont pass on high end offense skilled players like Ikonen or Boqvist just to draft defense.

I like Timmons and Farrance though, but not Any other of tge vanilla safe defensive prospects still on the board and think Gildon will bust

Huge day for the NJD franchise today!

We needed someone on the left side and we acquired a guy who just turned 22 years old and already played several games at the NHL level. Mueller has some upside to his game and I don't understand how anyone can be down about the move, knowing what we went through with Larsson and Severson. Blueliners aren't like forwards, they rarely make a immediate impact right out of the gates, so patience is the key word here.

The guy we would've picked with the 2nd rounder we tossed SJ's way wouldn't be ready to crack our roster anyways and is probably 3 to 4 years from doing so. It's not like we don't have another 2nd or 3rd to stock up our pipeline.

Here's the guys I want at #36...

Timmins, Lipanov, Ikonen, Heponiemi, Ratcliffe and Anderson-Dolan.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We needed someone on the left side and we acquired a guy who just turned 22 years old and already played several games at the NHL level. Mueller has some upside to his game and I don't understand how anyone can be down about the move, knowing what we went through with Larsson and Severson. Blueliners aren't like forwards, they rarely make a immediate impact right out of the gates, so patience is the key word here.

The guy we would've picked with the 2nd rounder we tossed SJ's way wouldn't be ready to crack our roster anyways and is probably 3 to 4 years from doing so. It's not like we don't have another 2nd or 3rd to stock up our pipeline.

Here's the guys I want at #36...

Timmins, Lipanov, Ikonen, Heponiemi, Ratcliffe and Anderson-Dolan.

I like that list except for Ratcliffe.

Last year they chose size in Bastian over overall skill upside in Dahlen or Kuokkanen, let's not make the same mistake in consecutive years.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I like that list except for Ratcliffe.

Last year they chose size in Bastian over overall skill upside in Dahlen or Kuokkanen, let's not make the same mistake in consecutive years.

Ratcliffe has a very solid mix of size and speed... he'd be very effective alongside Hischier IMO. He and Anderson-Dolan looked great at the U-18 for Canada and I was really impressed with how smooth his skating was, for a kid who's 6'5.

I forgot Comtois, who would be a excellent pick at #36 as well. I like his mix of skill and grit... and he brings it every single shift. The kid was labeled as a lottery pick for over a year and didn't really do anything to drop this low. Would be a steal at #36 IMO.

If Castron loves guys with pure skill, Anderson Dolan/Comtois is our guy IMO.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Ratcliffe has a very solid mix of size and speed... he'd be very effective alongside Hischier IMO. He and Anderson-Dolan looked great at the U-18 for Canada and I was really impressed with how smooth his skating was, for a kid who's 6'5.

I forgot Comtois, who would be a excellent pick at #36 as well. If Castron loves guys with pure skill, Anderson Dolan/Comtois is our guy IMO.

#Ikonen/Boqvist for pure skill

JAD and Comtois if you want a little more grit.

I like Timmins too if he's still on the board.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008

The exactly!!! My other option might be to try and trade back a few spots from 36 to maybe 40-41 and then take Samberg or one of those forwards while picking up another 3rd rounder. Then, trade 63 and the the later 3rd to move up into the late 2nd around 52-54 and grab Samberg, Hildon, or Josh Brook. Then with our out third we can look at a sleeper pick like Geekie....

But yes - Primary target at #36 is Timmins...but since Arizone is right before Us, I also consider trading a 4th to move up 2 spots to pick 34 if Timmons is there....Charyka always seems to take the guy I want a pick or two before us and mark my words, he's take timmons if he's there...!!!

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
[NHL2][/NHL2]
#Ikonen/Boqvist for pure skill

JAD and Comtois if you want a little more grit.

I like Timmins too if he's still on the board.

I do agree that both Ikonen and Boqvist are more offensively gifted if you will then both Anderson-Dolan and Comtois but I find both Dolan and Comtois bring more to the table if their offensive games doesn't translate 100% at the pro level.

Dolan is a diminutive forward with sick wheels and can turn on a dime to create separation from his opponent. Comtois is like a bull in a china shop, with a knack for scoring clutch goals and has good speed as well.

I want Timmins first and foremost but I'd be thrilled if we took one of the two Canadian kids as well.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
I count 14 Euro-descent players in the first round. That seems high relative to previous years, but I wouldn't know for sure. Great to see how the game has spread and evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad