Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I can't imagine any of those lists being purposefully skewed by teams just to throw other teams off. They spend so many resources on scouting these guys year round, these teams trust their scouting departments to deliver. To almost throw it to the wayside or even question their own list because of a consensus list like that is silly. Like if a team has Heiskanen at ~8 would they suddenly go against their scouts because of this list? I really doubt that.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I can't imagine any of those lists being purposefully skewed by teams just to throw other teams off. They spend so many resources on scouting these guys year round, these teams trust their scouting departments to deliver. To almost throw it to the wayside or even question their own list because of a consensus list like that is silly. Like if a team has Heiskanen at ~8 would they suddenly go against their scouts because of this list? I really doubt that.

I'm saying the lists they submit to McKenzie.

I don't think they change their own list. But let's say the Devils like Mittlestadt. I'd put him at 7 in the list I submit with Heiskanen and Makar ahead of him.

If they polled 15 staffs, these mind games would probably even out anyways.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I don't think they change their own list. But let's say the Devils like Mittlestadt. I'd put him at 7 in the list I submit with Heiskanen and Makar ahead of him.

Yea but I'm just saying I don't think those mind games are throwing anyone off. Team X's scouting department won't start second guessing the list they've spent years gathering information for and shaping just because a consensus list like this differs from their own.

Anyway, can't wait for the lottery on Saturday so we can finally start getting a good idea of who we could be drafting. There are so many players I'd be open to landing which is a nice feeling.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yea but I'm just saying I don't think those mind games are throwing anyone off. Team X's scouting department won't start second guessing the list they've spent years gathering information for and shaping just because a consensus list like this differs from their own.

Anyway, can't wait for the lottery on Saturday so we can finally start getting a good idea of who we could be drafting. There are so many players I'd be open to landing which is a nice feeling.

It absolutely shouldn't since all these scouts have been following these players all year.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If we aren't picking first or second I really want Glass or Mittelstadt. Kind of obvious but they to me fit exactly what we are trying to do and have less question marks than a Tippett or Liljegren

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It absolutely shouldn't since all these scouts have been following these players all year.

But there has to be some degree of who is picking who involved.

You have your own list sure, but you definitely would like to know what other teams or other scouts.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
But there has to be some degree of who is picking who involved.

You have your own list sure, but you definitely would like to know what other teams or other scouts.

Sure but it still shouldn't change much. You just shift to the next guy on your list if you know the guy you really want is going to be taken (or start working out a trade).

There isn't much reason to change your list because of what other scouts have since the list is completely based player skill and organizational need.

Knowing the other team's list allowed Shero to successfully trade back and still get his guy, but we were always taking McLeod there most likely. Ottawa wanting Brown wouldn't of changed our pick if we decided to not trade back.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If we aren't picking first or second I really want Glass or Mittelstadt. Kind of obvious but they to me fit exactly what we are trying to do and have less question marks than a Tippett or Liljegren

I think I would be ok with Maker as well. Necas intrigues me too if Mittelstadt is gone.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Both have obvious question marks which makes me lean towards forward. Makars level of competition and Liljegren being almost the definition of boom or bust.

True, I think pretty much every player ranked 1-30 has a question mark of some kind.

Scouts will earn their pay this time around compared to most drafts.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
True, I think pretty much every player ranked 1-30 has a question mark of some kind.

That's true, personally I just would feel more comfortable with one the forwards should we miss out on the first or second pick.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Both have obvious question marks which makes me lean towards forward. Makars level of competition and Liljegren being almost the definition of boom or bust.

Devils aren't in a position to take the risk of Liljegren after this season, especially not in the top 8.

I wouldn't mind Makar, but that would mean that Castron and Co. think he will translate his skills to better competition

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Devils aren't in a position to take the risk of Liljegren after this season, especially not in the top 8.

I wouldn't mind Makar, but that would mean that Castron and Co. think he will translate his skills to better competition

If Makar goes top 10 I imagine a lot of scouts think his skills will translate.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think depending on what other moves we make, we might trade back into the 1st to grab a falling DMan. Just a gut feeling.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Shero does like moving around the draft as we have seen, so definitely possible.

I think he'll try to make another Palms-eqsue trade, try to get a roster player for a few draft picks and maybe our own lack-luster roster player. I just think Shero will be aggressive this off-season, it's the perfect storm for him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think he'll try to make another Palms-eqsue trade, try to get a roster player for a few draft picks and maybe our own lack-luster roster player. I just think Shero will be aggressive this off-season, it's the perfect storm for him.

imagine he will try both avenues. He will almost definitely move around the draft though, even if it is in the later rounds.

He has done a draft move in both drafts.

I could see him doing another trade back like last year if we are picking 3-6 and he knows his guy will be there.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey

That's why I'm glad we have Castron with us this time around. Last year's draft was money.

As for a defenseman, I'm still in the Mittlstadt/Glass camp, but am open to taking Makar or Liljegren (heck even Heiskanen too) just because while they might take longer, we do need to add one of those dynamic d-men into our organization without selling the farm...best way to do that is through the draft.

In terms of quick rudimentary rankings in my opinion:

Speed (straight-away skating):
-Makar
-Liljegren
-Heiskanen

Agility (edgework):
-Liljegren
-Makar
-Heiskanen

Hockey IQ:
-Heiskanen
-Makar
-Liljegren

Defensive Play:
-Heiskanen
-Makar
-Liljegren

Shot:
-Makar
-Liljegren
-Heiskanen

As you may be able to tell, I'm still really high on Liljegren. After the season he's had, I think it would be worth it to try and trade up to snag him...but just looking at skillsets and game footage, Makar really fits into what Shero is trying to build. He's almost like the defense version of McLeod: ridiculously fast, one of the fastest skaters in the draft, extremely difficult to contain, scores a boatload at even-strength, and thinks the game two to three plays ahead. Makar is working on his defensive play, but his skating allows him to never really be out of position even after taking some risky pinches in the offensive zone, and he has a good stick too.

Heiskanen is just a ridiculously smart player too, probably the smartest of the three, and has the best all-around game...very safe player. He should at least be a surefire NHLer; maybe not as high of a ceiling as the other two.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I think depending on what other moves we make, we might trade back into the 1st to grab a falling DMan. Just a gut feeling.

If that's the case, I wouldn't mind taking Valimaki. I liked him since the World Juniors and think he's a bit underrated among the top defensemen in this draft.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

I wondered about this as well - I would think some of this would be in play with the lists being submitted. Then again, the scout is also submitting their own personal rankings, not the consensus rankings for their team.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I have the same feeling. I think the first half of the 1st round will be very forward heavy and we'll see some defensemen fall. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Shero traded back into the 1st round to get a defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad