2017 NHL Draft Part III (June 23-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Trying to be realistic:

RD1: #9 Mittelstadt before Glass before Makar before Necas
RD2: #38 Lipanov before Chytil before JAD before Fleury
RD3: #71 Ferraro (only if we don't take Makar)
RD3: #79 Petruzzelli over Zhukov
RD3: #83 Walford
RD3: #88 Lodnia or Heponiemi
RD4: #100 Walsh or Gallant
RD5: #131 Hawel
RD6: #162 Knierim
RD6: #164 Cates
RD7: #193 Will leave that to Hakan

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
#9 Martin Necas
#38 Urho Vaakanainen
#69 Jonathan Smart
#71 MacKenzie Entwistle
#83 Ivan Chekhovich
#88 Dmitri Samorukov
#100 Shawn Boudrias

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Some of the top ranked D prospects:

Miro Heiskanen 6' 2", 172 lbs
Cale Makar 5' 11.25", 187 lbs
Timothy Liljegren 5' 11.5", 187 lbs
Juuso Valimaki 6' 1.5", 211 lbs
Erik Brannstrom 5' 9", 179 lbs
Callan Foote 6' 4", 215 lbs
Nicolas Hague 6' 5.5" 207 lbs
Conor Timmins 6' 1.5" 184 lbs

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Trying to be realistic:

RD1: #9 Mittelstadt before Glass before Makar before Necas
RD2: #38 Lipanov before Chytil before JAD before Fleury
RD3: #71 Ferraro (only if we don't take Makar)
RD3: #79 Petruzzelli over Zhukov
RD3: #83 Walford
RD3: #88 Lodnia or Heponiemi
RD4: #100 Walsh or Gallant
RD5: #131 Hawel
RD6: #162 Knierim
RD6: #164 Cates
RD7: #193 Will leave that to Hakan

Would be really sweet to nab Lodnia at #88

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Would be really sweet to nab Lodnia at #88

I don't know if it is realistic or not, but at the end of the day the third round always looks much different than it did before the draft in all of the various draft guides and mocks.

It would be great if we could get a pick for Howard (retained). I somewhat expect Holland to send one of those thirds to Vegas to take an ugly contract off of our hands and I want as many picks as possible.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I don't know if it is realistic or not, but at the end of the day the third round always looks much different than it did before the draft in all of the various draft guides and mocks.

It would be great if we could get a pick for Howard (retained). I somewhat expect Holland to send one of those thirds to Vegas to take an ugly contract off of our hands and I want as many picks as possible.

I want as many picks as possible as well.

I see Holland trading a 3rd or two to protect his boys he had to leave unprotected.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I asked Brock Otten, who covers the OHL who he thought had the best offensive potential of any defenseman ranked outside of his top 10.

This was his reply-
Most definitely Samorukov, Hoefenmayer, and Phillips.

In particular, Samorukov has the highest potential of any defender available from the OHL this year IMO. Consistency is an issue. There were times where he looked absolutely lost this year. But, there were other times where he looked like he could be one of the better defenders in the OHL. He was great in the 2nd half and at the U18's, so there was definite progression. Physical intensity is there. Skill with the puck is there. Skating ability is there. Just needs to refine his decision making at both ends. Super high potential though.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
which would be asinine logic on his part but that would be a typical holland move.

I see it as another test of where Holland's head is at. I don't think he will move them to protect people, but I could see him sending a pick to Vegas to encourage them to take Helm. At this point in the team's life cycle I have zero interest in freeing up a ton of cap space. Free agency sucks these days. The only tangible benefit I see to it is to facilitate bona fide hockey trades. Since Holland does not make bona fide hockey trades, it has even less value to this particular organization. Move Howard retained for a draft pick and use that pick in the draft (or trade it for a prospect if the right deal presents itself). That is the best possible result in my opinion.

Since we cannot guaranty ourselves a top-three pick with today's lottery, it is absolutely imperative that we increase the number of draft picks we have each year until we become more competitive. It isn't enough to acquire elite talent, we need to acquire a critical mass of elite talent of a similar age. This requires overachieving big time outside of the first round, which requires a lot of draft picks.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
He's the best goal scorer in juniors. I don't see his game translating to the NHL.

Having a great shot is one thing. Knowing how and when to use it is another.

The thing about Necas and Pettersson is if they can't make it at center they better damn well be better wingers than Tippett. That's the thought that has me leaning towards picking a D. The top 5 centers will be off the board. We're not getting a top anything, I am fine with just about anybody at this point. My hopes were dashed weeks ago lol.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I see it as another test of where Holland's head is at. I don't think he will move them to protect people, but I could see him sending a pick to Vegas to encourage them to take Helm. At this point in the team's life cycle I have zero interest in freeing up a ton of cap space. Free agency sucks these days. The only tangible benefit I see to it is to facilitate bona fide hockey trades. Since Holland does not make bona fide hockey trades, it has even less value to this particular organization. Move Howard retained for a draft pick and use that pick in the draft (or trade it for a prospect if the right deal presents itself). That is the best possible result in my opinion.

Since we cannot guaranty ourselves a top-three pick with today's lottery, it is absolutely imperative that we increase the number of draft picks we have each year until we become more competitive. It isn't enough to acquire elite talent, we need to acquire a critical mass of elite talent of a similar age. This requires overachieving big time outside of the first round, which requires a lot of draft picks.

It would be pretty disappointing and surprising, if he went through the trouble of acquiring all these picks, which is imperative to re-building, just to give some away to free up cap. Considering freeing up cap space doesn't even do us much good at this juncture. None of our players are good enough to command a huge raise, and there aren't any noteworthy UFA's with the exception of Shattenkirk, who I really don't see coming here.

The goal this summer, and any summer for the foreseeable future, should be to add as many prospects to the pipeline as possible.

Only trading of picks I'd be in favor of is to potentially move up in the draft, or if someone has a "troubled" but talented young guy they want to get rid of like DeAngelo. Otherwise hold onto these picks and let's swing for the fences.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The thing about Necas and Pettersson is if they can't make it at center they better damn well be better wingers than Tippett. That's the thought that has me leaning towards picking a D. The top 5 centers will be off the board. We're not getting a top anything, I am fine with just about anybody at this point. My hopes were dashed weeks ago lol.

But which defenseman do you like? I'm not sure Heiskanen is going to be that much of a point producer, probably see him being more a guy like Lindholm or Reilly. And I don't really want to move up to the top 3 or top 5 for that.

Makar has a good skill set, but I think that's a damn risky pick. Lots of red flags there, and I don't have a great feeling about it. But wouldn't be the worst pick.

Valimaki is maybe the one I like most, but even him I don't necessarily "love". I feel much better about Glass, Necas, Petterson, or maybe someone like Mittelstadt dropping.

Would people be pissed off if we took Hague? He's kind of interesting to me. Not sure guys who have high goal totals but low assist totals translate well. He's got that type of big shot that could be a PP weapon. But I remember saying that about Sproul too.... and Pulkkinnen... man I just bummed myself out.

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I know many are not as high on Liljegren as I am. I think he becomes the best dman in the draft and returns to his stellar scoring ways.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
But which defenseman do you like? I'm not sure Heiskanen is going to be that much of a point producer, probably see him being more a guy like Lindholm or Reilly. And I don't really want to move up to the top 3 or top 5 for that.

Makar has a good skill set, but I think that's a damn risky pick. Lots of red flags there, and I don't have a great feeling about it. But wouldn't be the worst pick.

Valimaki is maybe the one I like most, but even him I don't necessarily "love". I feel much better about Glass, Necas, Petterson, or maybe someone like Mittelstadt dropping.

Would people be pissed off if we took Hague? He's kind of interesting to me. Not sure guys who have high goal totals but low assist totals translate well. He's got that type of big shot that could be a PP weapon. But I remember saying that about Sproul too.... and Pulkkinnen... man I just bummed myself out.
I like Valimaki a lot. I like Liljegren about as much as I like the European forwards, I think maybe he's a little more risky. I really don't think Mittelstadt would fall to 9, I'd be OK with Pettersson or Necas. I'd be OK with Tippett or Suzuki. I don't think we're officially rebuilding yet and we'll look for bigger pieces in 18/19/20. This draft is about depth and complimentary pieces in my eyes. I have a good feeling about Valimaki, I think he could be a 2 or 3 down the road.

I'd like Valimaki 9 and Lipanov 38. Something like that. Or alternatively Necas and a D at 38.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Makar kinda reminds me of when the Lions were drafting 5th overall and took Ansah. Sometimes the risk is worth the reward. Hes got a pro bowl to his name already and is much better than anyone drafted around him.

I havent watched Makar play but I like the idea of taking the high risk high reward guy if we get the chance because thats what the wings need. We're not going to draft a guy at 9 thats gonna turn the wings around next season. I'd say go high risk high reward, if it worked for a team as unlucky as the lions with Ansah, maybe the wings will get some too

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I know many are not as high on Liljegren as I am. I think he becomes the best dman in the draft and returns to his stellar scoring ways.

I only see him during u18 this year and he looks very sloppy, like something was going on with his head , hope it was just temporary

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I think both will be better NHL players than Tippett, even if they ultimately land on the wing. Hockey IQ goes a very long way these days and is required of all players, not just centers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think both will be better NHL players than Tippett, even if they ultimately land on the wing. Hockey IQ goes a very long way these days and is required of all players, not just centers.

What is your take on Suzuki? Some people (Pronman) think he might have the best hockey IQ in the draft.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
What is your take on Suzuki? Some people (Pronman) think he might have the best hockey IQ in the draft.
I would probably take Suzuki before Tippett if I was the Wings. From (very) limited viewing, he kind of makes me think of Fabbri.

Looking at the rankings, I'm hoping that Tippett is taken before we pick. Not a huge fan of his and that would leave us with at least one player I'd be quite happy with at #9: Patrick, Hischier, Heiskanen, Mittelstadt, Pettersson, Vilardi, Glass, Necas, Makar. Obviously the drop after these guys isn't huge, but there aren't many guys I'd be super pumped about. Suzuki might be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad