Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Unless we drop or the Devils are planning to trade down.

Or the Devils draft board is completely different.

This is exactly the kind of draft where there will be names no one expects taken where no one expected them to be taken.

Unless we're 1 or 2, it's hard to project who will be our pick. Its not like the past two years where the top 4 or 5 were pretty easy to project. If we're 5th, there's upwards of 7 or 8 players that could realistically be possibilities.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Or the Devils draft board is completely different.

This is exactly the kind of draft where there will be names no one expects taken where no one expected them to be taken.

Unless we're 1 or 2, it's hard to project who will be our pick. Its not like the past two years where the top 4 or 5 were pretty easy to project. If we're 5th, there's upwards of 7 or 8 players that could realistically be possibilities.

Devils shock everyone...trade down, take Vesalainen

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He is a skilled and big center and youngrr than Patrick.

I'm not sold on a huge upside though, but, he looks to be a good player.

I think Glass' upside is basically Jason Arnott - big, skilled 1C, but not a perennial All-Star. He would be a good pick, from what little I've seen.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Grant McCagg now has the Devils taking Kristian Vesalainen at #5. Hadn't heard of him before. He played in the SHL this year, putting up 1 goal and 6 points in 26 games. Also played in SuperElite, putting up 4 goals in 10 games, and Liiga, with 1 goal in 9 games.

I imagine his rise has more to do with the U18s he just had, putting up 6 goals and 13 points in 7 games.

Don't know anything else aside from the fact he's 6'3 and can play both wings.

McCagg also has Miro Heiskanen going #1.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I'm getting shades of Jaromir Jagr watching Vesalainen's highlights.

Big, long reach, great hands, phenomenal cycle work. Just highlights, but they're hella impressive.

Looks like the kind of player than can control the game from the wing. Seems a lot smarter than Tippett.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Yeah I'm not buying that mock at all. He is influenced too much by u18s and wanting to go against the grain.

Patrick isn't dropping to 3

He had McLeod #3 last year.

For me, it's about how divided scouts are on this draft. It's not a disaster if we fall a couple spots. Lots of gems to be found.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
We'll never know Castron's board. I trust his judgment. If we take Vesalainen (for instance) I'll embrace the pick. I don't see it being him, but I don't see a Conte-situation where we have to rationalize the choice.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm getting shades of Jaromir Jagr watching Vesalainen's highlights.

Big, long reach, great hands, phenomenal cycle work. Just highlights, but they're hella impressive.

Looks like the kind of player than can control the game from the wing. Seems a lot smarter than Tippett.

How is his skating? Shot?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We'll never know Castron's board. I trust his judgment. If we take Vesalainen (for instance) I'll embrace the pick. I don't see it being him, but I don't see a Conte-situation where we have to rationalize the choice.

We aren't taking Vesalainen and leaving Mitt on the board.

Grant is basically doing a power rankings gimmick and needs to keep his mock changing daily to get views.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Grant is basically doing a power rankings gimmick and needs to keep his mock changing daily to get views.

I would hope not. If the Devils stay at 5 and Mittelstadt is still there I expect a sprint to the podium to grab him.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey

I really like Grant's insight and opinions, it just seems that he is a very "what have you done for me lately?" type scout with his rankings.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Grant McCagg now has the Devils taking Kristian Vesalainen at #5. Hadn't heard of him before. He played in the SHL this year, putting up 1 goal and 6 points in 26 games. Also played in SuperElite, putting up 4 goals in 10 games, and Liiga, with 1 goal in 9 games.

I imagine his rise has more to do with the U18s he just had, putting up 6 goals and 13 points in 7 games.

Don't know anything else aside from the fact he's 6'3 and can play both wings.

McCagg also has Miro Heiskanen going #1.

I had not at all considered him, really didn't know his stats, but his resume is more then just a one year thing.

Yes he did lead all scorers at the U-18's this year, but he was solid last year as well posting 6 points in 7 games. And had 4-4-8 in 5 in last years U-17, which was 2nd on the team behind Tolvanen's 9 goals and 1 assist.

His over all U 20 #'s 4-3-7 in 12 pale in comparison to Tolvanen's 7-9-16 in 15.

His pro #'s this year do not stand out, but he is still 17(turns 18 in June). Great size.

Sounds like he could be great pick in the teens, but at 5? Can't see that happening.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I really like Grant's insight and opinions, it just seems that he is a very "what have you done for me lately?" type scout with his rankings.

Grant does get critiqued for that but, he does correctly point out that fans should not judge a player a year later but rather 4 to 5 seasons later.

Looking back, a lot of times the best players in drafts are not selected in the Top-5 or even Top-10.

I think we are all guilty of wanting instant gratification and sometimes judge a player to quickly, me included with PZ vs Ivan and others.
However, sometimes it's quite obvious that a player was a mistake rather quickly too (not saying that about PZ).

snwbdgislife

Sep 14, 2016
Because it is Grant's first year for the site it's hard to know if he is overreacting to news, making changes to keep people checking, or if it is just a reflection of how unpredictable this particular draft is. For months we've read that 3-15 would be very unpredictable, it seems (per Grant and Bob McKenzie) as if this has crept to #1 and 2 as well.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

His rankings are interesting but need to be taken with a grant of salt.

It is nice to look at them though because you can have an idea of who is rising up on the draft boards with recent performances. He just happens to overreact often.

I think if you balance McCagg (or Button's draft boards) with the consensus rankings you could probably get a draft board that resembles an actual NHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad