2017 NHL Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-lots-of-talent-after-patrick-hischier-1.702428

Craig Button seems to agree with my assessment. Both are certainly exciting prospects.

I'm very surprised by how far Tippett has fallen, and how high he has Necas. Not at all surprised to see Makar moved up, as I have him even higher on my list.

Another big surprise for me is how low he has ranked Robert Thomas. I would be thrilled if he fell to us in round 2 and we took him.
Concerns about his hockey IQ are the reason that Owen Tippett has fallen. He possesses impressive physical tools -- blistering speed and a terrific shot -- but he is primarily a north-south player, and his play away from the puck is rather shoddy.

He is the epitome of the powerful, fast, north-south sniper. The fact that some players of this type simply haven't panned out is the reason for the hesitation with regards to this player. There are questions about whether he can translate his game to the NHL level.
I'd still take him top 10 at the moment, but there are valid reasons to not have him as a top 10 guy. He suffers from tunnel vision, and his play off the puck is quite lacking, to the extent he can look lost. His ability to mesh with top players due to how puck dominant he is, is questionable. His speed, size and shot are all amazing at the OHL level, but his cycle game and general IQ could be his downfall at the next level. At the moment, I'd comfortably have Patrick, Hischier, Mittelstadt and Vilardi ahead of him. He's with that next batch of guys such as Liljegren, Pettersson, Heiskanen, Necas, Glass and Tolvanen. I'd actually question anyone who has claimed to of watched him a lot if they haven't seen these limitations.
Can I cosign this?

I find Tippett, when he's not coming alive with the puck on the rush or sniping one, supremely irritating for every one of these reasons. Closely watching him on a shift-to-shift basis can be an exercise in frustration, in every zone. So skilled and has all the physical tools.......but talk about a player who really CAN be defined by his highlight reel.

Last edited by a moderator:

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Gadjovich at 37 would be nice, he's really changed his approach to the game in the second half, drives the play a lot more, more determined, just a better player....45 goals is always nice in the second round.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Thomas has been rising and turning lots of heads; good chance he gets taken in the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad