NFL: 2017 NFL Season News & Notes Discussion Thread (Bucs keep Koetter/GB signs Adams)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
^sort of has to at times, in order to find his man. Can't see over the likes of Joeckel.:laugh:
If the coverage downfield is good he'll just take off.
He basically has to do it all, because even though pass pro is leaps and bounds better than it was early in the season...these guys still can't run block.

Yeah they can't. I'm just saying its hard to block for Russell because you have no idea where he is. :laugh:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Can't agree enough. Stuff like this is helping drive fans away. The rules have gone stupidly complex in too many areas, leaving for too many games to be decided by rules interpretations instead of by the players.

I dunno, that one seemed pretty cut and dry to me. He lost control momentarily and when he regained control, he was out of bounds.

If they want to loosen up the possession/control rules I wouldn't be upset, but that looked like the right call to me based on the precedent already set.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I dunno, that one seemed pretty cut and dry to me. He lost control momentarily and when he regained control, he was out of bounds.

If they want to loosen up the possession/control rules I wouldn't be upset, but that looked like the right call to me based on the precedent already set.
The point is the rule and precedent are stupid. When I started watching the NFL, that was a catch. It was a great catch.

But somewhere along the way when replays became high def super slow mo, the catch rule turned into something counterintuitive and needlessly complex.

What's the point of changing the rule to take away that catch? For all of the work the league did to benefit the passing game fans love so much, it makes no sense for the league to also embrace rules that turn catches into incompletions.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The point is the rule and precedent are stupid. When I started watching the NFL, that was a catch. It was a great catch.

But somewhere along the way when replays became high def super slow mo, the catch rule turned into something counterintuitive and needlessly complex.

What's the point of changing the rule to take away that catch? For all of the work the league did to benefit the passing game fans love so much, it makes no sense for the league to also embrace rules that turn catches into incompletions.

To the bolded: That very well may be, but it exists and they are bound to it through a certain level of consistency. If they changed the rules in the off-season to allow more of these types of catches to stand, I wouldn't take major issue with that. But as it stands now, that is not a catch.

A simple change would to simply remove the two-foot in bounds rule. It is the only league in the world that has that rule. CFL, College and HS rules all only require 1 foot inbounds for a completed catch.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Why would that ever be a catch? Take it to the extreme. What if he bobbles it for 5 seconds before corralling it out of bounds? Because he got two feet and possession doesn't make it a catch either. Is a split second of all those factors a catch? I don't think so. I think this is one of the least egregious catch controversies of the season.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
171205_jake_mr_inside2.jpg

This might not be the place for this, but I find this picture pretty creepy in the context of what's going on in this country right now. Look at the look on his wife's face.

Called it

Panthers owner facing misconduct allegations

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
See you later Richardson. Jerry is a horrible human being even before this from what I've heard. If Donald Sterling was forced out, Richardson will be too.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
See you later Richardson. Jerry is a horrible human being even before this from what I've heard. If Donald Sterling was forced out, Richardson will be too.

Richardson was at the top of my list already for "creepiest NFL owners" and I just always had a gut feeling he was like that.

Feb 24, 2017
Its really between him and Brady at this point. Would be nice for him to finally win one but Brady has more than earned another one at this point.
“Russell” has never been the best player in football. This isn’t Oprah Winfrey’s league where everybody gets one.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The talk of the Packers going to the Super Bowl if they got into the playoffs was amusing while it lasted.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The talk of the Packers going to the Super Bowl if they got into the playoffs was amusing while it lasted.

I kept saying, I like Rodgers and the Packers but man that got old fast last week. Their team is flawed and a banged up Rodgers was never going to be the band aid they needed to make the playoffs in this tough NFC field.

Gonna be an interesting year without the Giants, Cowboys, Packers, or Seahawks in there.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

If we had won last week (lost thanks to some questionable officiating) there would be a good chance we would make the playoffs and then after that - who knows. This team isn't that much different from the one last year that made the conference title game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad