NFL: 2017 NFL Season News & Notes Discussion Thread (Bucs keep Koetter/GB signs Adams)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Disagree, but your entitled to an opinion.

He was supposed to have a 5 year contract extension, not sure if it's been offered to him yet but if it hasn't, things are not looking good for him.

Of course you'd be a Portnoy fanboy and Nuke will get his contract.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Casuals say they are outraged and don't watch on the internet but do anyway. I imagine you are the same.

I never said I wasn’t watching. I am. It’s merely getting more difficult to do so.

I have started to skip some games now, even my own team’s. Previously it was must-see TV. It’s not some kind of conscious decision, they’re just slowly losing my interest.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
When will most deadline deals happen?

They probably won't. There's usually like a max of 1-2 trades (if that) in the last week before the deadline.

On the other hand

He's not what he used to be, but he'd still be a good addition to anyone's secondary.

He has not really worked out there but he's had some pretty bad injuries too

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
People say that all the time, of all ages and races - it's an expression that means you can't have the employees running the company, has nothing to do with racism. It's crazy how hyper sensitive everyone is these days, people just need to chill

One thing is crystal clear - Roger Goodell has completely lost control of the league and things are rapidly spiralling downwards. He's mismanaged this whole thing so badly from the beginning with Kaepernick and let things get to this point. Really hope he gets fired

I'm pretty sure he was just dumb to the expression and actually inserted the wrong word. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people mistakenly say a cliche or saying wrong by putting a wrong word in somewhere.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Trading Graham for o-line help has made sense to me for a long time. He's generally been misused here anyway.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Should be a little less than that depending on how exactly the signing bonus is structured. His base salary for 2017 is just $900K, roster bonus $600K, workout bonus $250K, plus his $6.3 million signing bonus. Cash wise, he made $8.05 million of his $21 million contract. His cap hit this year is only $3.85 million (base, workout, roster money, plus his prorated signing bonus). I doubt his signing bonus is structured so that the Packers can get back $4.2 million of it (some players when they retired, the team actually went to the player to get part of the signing bonus paid back). That's the only portion of his contract that was guaranteed. Meaning, that next season, the Packers have to take a $4.2 million dead cap hit for his unapplied signing bonus.

As for Jimmy Graham, he definitely has not worked out in Seattle. Miscalculation on the part of the Seahawks on their ability to integrate Graham into their offence. He's not a blocker, which is the type of TE that the Hawks offensive scheme calls for.

But, as for the Hawks being able to move him in a deal for a OL, I don't see it happening. Best OL available are Staley, but he still has term on his contract and if SF does draft a QB in the upcoming draft, it would be nice to have a veteran top tier LT to protect his blindside. Brown from Houston, maybe, but don't really see it. Hawks gave up their 2nd rounder in 2018 in the Richardson deal. And a 1st for Brown is too much.

For Seattle and Graham, one thing that teams always consider is the draft pick compensation that they can get for players. You get a comp pick if a player leaves via free agency (but only if their contract has expired, you don't get a comp pick for a player that you cut.) So, depending on who the Hawks sign and let go this off-season, they can get back a 3rd round pick (if Graham signs for $9 million or more per season), or a lower round pick if he signs for less than that.

You saw that with NE and Collins last year. With NE signing Gilmore, that would have wiped out any comp. pick that they would have received if they kept Collins and let him leave via free agency. thus they made the deal with CLE to get a 3rd round pick.

Very few trades are ever made a the deadline. And usually you end up with underperforming guys being dealt for day 3 draft picks.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I don't see Zimmer waiting too long if Teddy shows he's ready to go in the next few practices.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I don't see Zimmer waiting too long if Teddy shows he's ready to go in the next few practices.

Minny can rely on their D to win games. As long as keenum manages the game they can wait until trddy is healthy. Man, this does seem like the end of the line for Bradford.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Minny can rely on their D to win games. As long as keenum manages the game they can wait until trddy is healthy. Man, this does seem like the end of the line for Bradford.

Yeah, they'll go with Keenum until they know for sure Teddy is good to go. Keenum hasn't been nearly as good as his numbers might suggest but the main thing is he's not costing them games.

As for Bradford, the Vikings have been very vague on his status from the beginning and I've yet to see any positive reports from the media. It doesn't look good for him but it's Bradford so he'll probably find a way to get $20M/yr from some team in the offseason.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Trading Graham for o-line help has made sense to me for a long time.

That's what the Saints thought too.

Problem is, good offensive linemen are even harder to find now than they were in 2014. Other than a true #1 CB, a good OL is the scarcest commodity in the game.

The truth about Graham is, he hasn't been the same player since the Seahawks defense punked him in that playoff game in 2014. Before that he was arrogant and that made him good. After that he just became another big-bodied TE with better than average hands and there are TEs like that all over the league.

In hindsight his peak was probably too off-the-charts good to ever be sustainable.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Marshon Lattimore hasn't given up a reception over the last 139 minutes of game time. That's two full games plus 19 minutes. Opposing passer rating against him in that span is 0.0. Hell you could have a completion percentage of 0% and still get a 39.5 passer rating.

PFF has Lattimore at 95.0 after today, #1 CB in the league. DROY? DPOY maybe even, if he keeps this up. Best season for a CB to this point in the season since 2011 Revis.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am no longer convinced Goodell will get his new contract. This season has been a massive disaster for him.

*gets two TD's, including the game winner*

Football Gods are funny.

Honestly, for the good of the NFL going forward, they need a new face. Goodell has made plenty of money, over $200 million since becoming commission. Likely will be close to $300 when his contract expires. He won't be hurting for money. He's 58, might be a good time to let someone else deal with declining TV ratings, PA, and CTE.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
stephen holder, beat writer for indy, says that at least two teams have had discussions about trading for frank gore.

hopefully he's traded and gets another shot at the ring.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Eagles are supposed to be one of the teams in on Gore.

I'd guess Carolina might be the other since they seem to be throwing in the towel on McCaffrey as a conventional tailback. The only real RB they have right now is Jonathan Stewart and he's not the most durable guy around.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I'd guess Carolina might be the other since they seem to be throwing in the towel on McCaffrey as a conventional tailback. The only real RB they have right now is Jonathan Stewart and he's not the most durable guy around.

Eagles do need a good RB.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

They'd trade for Hilton before they traded for Gore. McCaffrey is the same size as McCoy. He's going to be fine. But right now, the run blocking isn't giving either guy a chance. They brought in Cameron Artis-Payne to shake things up but nothing changed. They're going to have to win with their defense (which might be Carolina's best ever) and a sort of Lions/Patriots short passing attack that's an extension of the run game.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
They'd trade for Hilton before they traded for Gore. McCaffrey is the same size as McCoy. He's going to be fine. But right now, the run blocking isn't giving either guy a chance. They brought in Cameron Artis-Payne to shake things up but nothing changed. They're going to have to win with their defense (which might be Carolina's best ever) and a sort of Lions/Patriots short passing attack that's an extension of the run game.

McCaffery rushing numbers are abysmal. Its not all blocking.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
McCaffery rushing numbers are abysmal. Its not all blocking.

I mean, he's not breaking tackles either, but he's not getting carries best suited to his skill style. Regardless, another RB is not exactly high on the list of priorities, I don't think. T/C, a speedy WR, CB, or S would all make more of a difference if they're looking to make a move before 4:00 (which I don't think they are).

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wouldn't trade for Gore. What contender is a 34 year old RB going to help?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad