Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #22

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Timothy Liljegren -- 57.66%
2. Kasperi Kapanen -- 89.47%
3. Travis Dermott -- 83.75%
4. Carl Grundstrom -- 55.23%
5. Yegor Korshkov -- 35.67%
6. Jeremy Bracco --34.48%
7. Andreas Johnsson -- 25.48%
8. Andrew Nielsen -- 42.07%
9. Andreas Borgman -- 31.45%
10. Joseph Woll -- 31.54%
11. Eemeli Rasanan -- 26.67%
12. Kerby Rychel -- 27.87%
13. Calle Rosen -- 36.67%
14. Adam Brooks -- 43.42%
15. Dmytro Timashov -- 31.75%
16. Miro Aaltonen -- 34.38%
17. Frederik Gauthier -- 46.67%
18. JD Greenway -- 41.05%
19. Martin Dzierkals -- 19.51%
20. Dakota Joshua -- 15.53%
21. Ian Scott -- 20.00%

Nikolai Chebykin
Garrett Sparks
Vladislav Kara
Tobias Lindberg
Jesper Lindgren
JJ Piccinich
Fedor Gordeev
Justin Holl
Pierre Engvall
Rinat Valiev
Nicolas Mattinen
Keaton Middleton
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Trevor Moore
Vladimir Bobylev

Nolan Vesey
Jack Walker
Ryan McGregor
Ryan O'Connell

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11
Prospect Ranking #12
Prospect Ranking #13
Prospect Ranking #14
Prospect Ranking #15
Prospect Ranking #16
Prospect Ranking #17
Prospect Ranking #18
Prospect Ranking #20
Prospect Ranking #21

2016 Final Result
2015 Final Result
2014 Final Result
2013 Final Result
2012 Final Result
2011 Final Result
2010 Final Result

Suggest who I should add next. :D

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm perplexed a little as to why Sparks isn't being voted on. Voting Scott before him is even more questionable.

Don't be surprised if he outplays McBackup in camp.

Meh.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'm perplexed a little as to why Sparks isn't being voted on. Voting Scott before him is even more questionable.

Meh.

I think the way he finished the 15/16 season left a bitter taste in people's mouths.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think the way he finished the 15/16 season left a bitter taste in people's mouths.

I know and I sort of get it. Sparks was behind the worst team of the NHL at that time. It's not like Scott did any better on a bad CHL team. Sparks at least can say that he's been incredibly consistent for the Marlies through the last few years but injuries have slowed him down quite a bit.

Either way, it's just opinions. I just really don't get it. I'd be shocked if Scott was any better than Sparks is right now.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Meh.

They're close enough that its not worth crying over IMO.

Sparks was what, the 12th goaltender taken in a deep G crop...
Riemer was like the 16th or 17th goaltender taken in a much weaker G crop...

What has me perplexed is Dzierkals in the top 20... He's not in my top 30.
Bracco at 6 is too high too IMO.

Sparks vs Scott... I have them within one or two spots of each other.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I know and I sort of get it. Sparks was behind the worst team of the NHL at that time. It's not like Scott did any better on a bad CHL team. Sparks at least can say that he's been incredibly consistent for the Marlies through the last few years but injuries have slowed him down quite a bit.

Either way, it's just opinions. I just really don't get it. I'd be shocked if Scott was any better than Sparks is right now.

This isn't a rankings of who is better right now though.

Its a prospect ranking... I vote primarily on who I think will be better in the future... or another way to think of it... Who would hold the most value in a trade?

Would I trade Scott for Sparks? No.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This isn't a rankings of who is better right now though.

Its a prospect ranking... I vote primarily on who I think will be better in the future...

It's a mix of future vs now though.

I disagree that Scott will be better in the future. Just because he's younger, it doesn't make him more likely to become better. He will need a big season to change my mind there.

And let's not forget Sparks has been great in the AHL and has some of the more impressive stats since joining the Marlies. A bad NHL stint doesn't remove his value, especially when you consider how bad the team was. He deserves another shot in front of an actual NHL team and I think he'll be a lot better than McBackup. The question is can he stay healthy?

But it's a matter of opinions I guess.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Oh I agree. Not to mention we were all sort of cheering for him to fail as we wanted that 30th spot. I think Lindgren is being underrated.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
It's a mix of future vs now though.

I disagree that Scott will be better in the future. Just because he's younger, it doesn't make him more likely to become better. He will need a big season to change my mind there.

And let's not forget Sparks has been great in the AHL and has some of the more impressive stats since joining the Marlies. A bad NHL stint doesn't remove his value, especially when you consider how bad the team was. He deserves another shot infront of an actual NHL team and I think he'll be a lot better than McBackup.

But it's a matter of opinions I guess.

Yeah, fair enough... I really like Sparks (Had him ranked at 21, but Scott one or two spots ahead)...

I still think Sparks will be in the NHL... but if I were a betting man, the possibility of Scott trumping Sparks outweights the possibility of him busting.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think Sparks is anything special. I have him as our 4th best goalie prospect, and realistically I have no idea where he/scott/Kaskisuo should slot in. Almost getting to the point where they should get their own poll because they're basically impossible to rank.

Went with Trevor Moore. It doesn't look like he's gonna win though, so I wish I picked Lindgren (even though I'm confused why people like him over a NCAA star that has one good AHL season under his belt).

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think Sparks is anything special. I have him as our 4th best goalie prospect, and realistically I have no idea where he/scott/Kaskisuo should slot in. Almost getting to the point where they should get their own poll because they're basically impossible to rank.

Went with Trevor Moore. It doesn't look like he's gonna win though, so I wish I picked Lindgren (even though I'm confused why people like him over a NCAA star that has one good AHL season under his belt).

Young talented swedish d-man with Erik Karlsson comparisons will make anyone excited even if the odds he reaches that point are less than 10% (maybe even lower).

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Young talented swedish d-man with Erik Karlsson comparisons will make anyone excited even if the odds he reaches that point are less than 10% (maybe even lower).

Lol Erik Karlsson was only a comparable because they were the same size, Swedish, and offensive. Lindgren has NEVER been semi-close to him as a prospect. Vatanen was a fair comparable, but even that is looking like a major stretch at this point.

I've always liked Lindgren, but he hasn't grown as a prospect since he's been drafted.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Dzierkals would be in my top 30, but it would be in the Chebykin and Engvall range (25-28).

Moore should have taken his spot at 19.

I am not voting for Sparks because I do not think he's a prospect so much anymore (same with someone like Holl), so that's probably why he's dropping: Others probably feel the same way.

I am good with Bracco at 6. He's on the same level as someone like Korshkov and really, it's up to position and style preference in the 6-10ish range.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Have you seen Dzerkals play?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Have you seen Dzerkals play?

He still had a down year in the QMJHL. Was good in the WJC for a poor team. Easily one of the best young Latvians out there, and likely more skilled than the rest. With the skill of our pool though, he's still not top 20. Chebykin and Engvall had strong year and played against men and they will likely only find themselves at the edge of the top 30 this year.

He'd need to show a lot more in the CHL if he goes back there though, or start to do some stuff in the KHL with Riga if he goes over there. I do not know which I would prefer. Probably Riga, only because he will probably get good ice time and he plays against men. He definitely has yet to dominate against boys on the smaller ice surface though, and the Marlies should not even be considered at all since we have 2 more years of control on him.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
He still had a down year in the QMJHL. Was good in the WJC for a poor team. Easily one of the best young Latvians out there, and likely more skilled than the rest. With the skill of our pool though, he's still not top 20. Chebykin and Engvall had strong year and played against men and they will likely only find themselves at the edge of the top 30 this year.

He'd need to show a lot more in the CHL if he goes back there though, or start to do some stuff in the KHL with Riga if he goes over there. I do not know which I would prefer. Probably Riga, only because he will probably get good ice time and he plays against men. He definitely has yet to dominate against boys on the smaller ice surface though, and the Marlies should not even be considered at all since we have 2 more years of control on him.

He looked great in his first year with RN anytime I saw their games. Very fast and elusive with a bit of grit added in. Not the biggest but plays that energy type of game that Babcock likes. Seemed to struggle a bit more last year, but had some injury problems.

Needs to bulk up, but see him as a similar type of player as Leo down the road, but with a bit more creativity and quickness. Most definitely a top 20 prospect IMO.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He looked great in his first year with RN anytime I saw their games. Very fast and elusive with a bit of grit added in. Not the biggest but plays that energy type of game that Babcock likes. Seemed to struggle a bit more last year, but had some injury problems.

Needs to bulk up, but see him as a similar type of player as Leo down the road, but with a bit more creativity and quickness. Most definitely a top 20 prospect IMO.

He will not be anything like Leo. He's more likely to become a better Soshnikov, assuming he works on his defensive game once he gets to the Marlies. Soshnikov can become a better Soshnikov as well.

As of right now, he should not be a top 20 prospect. The Leafs have too many good ones to say a guy who did not have the best year or had injuries should be in the top 20. I do not see anyone questioning Lindberg dropping out of the top 30, even though he was excellent for the Marlies in many roles (mostly a grinding one, which is why he doesn't have a ton of points) before getting injured. Had Lindberg been healthy all year, he'd easily be a top 20 prospect.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Scott before Sparks is just silly. Scott is a massive project. Sparks looks like a decent bet to be an NHL backup. I get potential vs proximity but that's just silly.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Scott before Sparks is just silly. Scott is a massive project. Sparks looks like a decent bet to be an NHL backup. I get potential vs proximity but that's just silly.

especially for goalies, I get the idea of voting for the guy with the ceiling. Backups are dime a dozen, I'd take a guy with a 20% chance to be a good starter and 80% chance to be a non-NHL'er every time over a sure bet to be a backup because of the scarcity of one commodity and abundance of the other

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
McGregor intrigues me because I like the hidden gem mythology building about him already but going Middleton this round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad