Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #11

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He seemingly didn't get as much ink as some of the other guys, including Boqvist and Walsh, but you make a good point.

I understand this as well. Bastian's past season could be considered mildly disappointing, which is going to be the case when you don't increase your PPG, but in hindsight not too bad overall. I think some people are already writing him off though.

Might be a couple more polls before he's the pick, but I don't think there should be that much of a gap between him and Boqvist in the rankings...but I certainly understand it. I haven't voted for Bastian yet either, but agreeing that we may look back on this and realize he was ranked too low - hopefully that's the case.

Bastian and Popugayev both have the ability to sky rocket up the rankings. But based on their performance last year, they leave you wanting a bit more hence the rankings.

For the first time in a long time, we have some prospects in the teens that have a legit shot of being more of impact players rather than fourth line fodder.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bastian and Popugayev both have the ability to sky rocket up the rankings. But based on their performance last year, they leave you wanting a bit more hence the rankings.

That explaination is reasonable until you see a prospect like Mueller overwhelming take the 11th spot.
The theory breaks down quickly when you see a prospect 4 years from his draft year and has gone from 39 NHL games to 11 to 4 while not doing much of note in the AHL.

There is probably not another prospect in our pool that has desended more since their draft year than Mueller...

when you consider Wood and Santini are from the same draft year, Wood taken 98 picks after and has accomplished much more, you would think that there would be more space between Wood and Mueller...and that space would be/ should be filled with prospects like Bastian and Popugayev.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
That explaination is reasonable until you see a prospect like Mueller overwhelming take the 11th spot.
The theory breaks down quickly when you see a prospect 4 years from his draft year and has gone from 39 NHL games to 11 to 4 while not doing much of note in the AHL.

There is probably not another prospect in our pool that has desended more since their draft year than Mueller...

when you consider Wood and Santini are from the same draft year, Wood taken 98 picks after and has accomplished much more, you would think that there would be more space between Wood and Mueller...and that space would be/ should be filled with prospects like Bastian and Popugayev.

I think the Mueller vote is largely driven by what we gave up to acquire him. He's going to be in the NHL this year since we can't try to pass him through waivers and he should at least be a bottom pairing defenseman as you don't give up a 2nd rounder and expose Merrill for a healthy scratch.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Mueller was ranked around 10th for the sharks who we have a much better pool than, however, before the year he was top 5 by most accounts. He's not some scrub to his credit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad