Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #11

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
[table="head;width=3500]Rank|Player|POS|Draft Position|2016-17 Team(s)|Vote %|2016 Result|2015 Result
#1|Nico Hischier|C|2017 #1|Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)|---|Pavel Zacha|Pavel Zacha
#2|Michael McLeod|C|2016 #12|Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)|82.02%|Michael McLeod|Steven Santini
#3|Steve Santini|D|2013 #42|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|71.26%|Steven Santini|John Quenneville
#4|John Quenneville|LW/RW|2014 #30|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|68.18%|John Quenneville|Reid Boucher
#5|Blake Speers|C/RW|2015 #67|Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)|33.3%|Mackenzie Blackwood|Stefan Matteau
#6|Yegor Rykov|D|2016 #132|SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)|22%|Joseph Blandisi|MacKenzie Blackwood
#T-7|MacKenzie Blackwood|G|2015 #38|Albany Devils (AHL)|30.61%|Miles Wood|Blake Coleman
#T-7|Jesper Boqvist|C|2017 #36|Brynas IF (SHL)|30.61%|Josh Jacobs|Josh Jacobs
#9|Joey Anderson|RW|2016 #73|University of Minnesota-Duluth (NCHC)|50.63|Blake Speers|Blake Speers
#10|Miles Wood|LW|2013 #100|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|56.16%|Nathan Bastian|Joseph Blandisi

[/table]

Please remember to vote for who you want to add to the poll next. Most votes gets included in the next poll

[table="head;width=150]Eligible Prospects
Michael Kapla
Yaroslav Dyblenko
Ken Appleby
Colby Sissons
Aarne Talvitie
Jocktain Chainey
Yegor Zaitsev
Matthew Hellickson
Evan Cormier
Jeremy Davies
Colton White
Brett Seney
Josh Jacobs
J.D. Dudek
Brandon Baddock
Ryan Kujawinski
[/table]

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I've been bouncing back and forth on the next 5 (Mueller, Walsh, Popugayev, Bastian, and Zetterlund)

I think I would have to rank them Mueller, Walsh, Bastian, Popugayev, and Zetterlund -- in that order.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Man, I have to think about this one for a bit.

Crazy we are at 11, yet last years 2nd round pick, the first pick in the 3rd rnd of this years draft, a 22 yr old former first round pick, and 2 other recent 3rd rounders are still on the board.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I'm cooler on him than most, but I went Big Poppa. Almost went with Mueller. He's closer than almost everyone else, but I know so little about him.

Add Chains

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Torn between a few guys. I'm leaning towards Mueller just because he'll more than likely be with the team this whole year and I think he has much more to give than what he did with the Sharks. I really like Gignac's game, and I think he's AHL eligible this year so it'd be interesting to see how he does if he makes that jump. I'm not too high on Bastian as others but he's still in the mix here, could still make for a good 3rd liner. Hell, I'd even thrown in Big Poppy and Walsh into the mix here just based on their potential.

In the end I think I'm gonna go with Mueller. He's definitely the most NHL ready and I'm optimistic he can at the very least prove himself as an NHL defenseman this season.

Add Sissons.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
aight going Mueller. Shero thought enough of him to use a 2nd rounder on him, so that kind of put's him ahead guys like Walsh and Zetterlund right? And he's going to get NHL minutes starting this season.

Add Chainey.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
aight going Mueller. Shero thought enough of him to use a 2nd rounder on him, so that kind of put's him ahead guys like Walsh and Zetterlund right? And he's going to get NHL minutes starting this season.

Add Chainey.

In my eyes Mueller is either going to be a guy that will look like we should've ranked him much higher or he will just drop out of sight. Which pretty much means that we don't know much of anything on the guy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
In my eyes Mueller is either going to be a guy that will look like we should've ranked him much higher or he will just drop out of sight. Which pretty much means that we don't know much of anything on the guy.

So 11 is fair here.

I think you have to factor in NHL readiness in these no matter what, at least to some extent. Some guys might have higher ceilings but when you are so far away it is much harder to predict if you will ever reach that ceiling.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
So 11 is fair here.

I think you have to factor in NHL readiness in these no matter what, at least to some extent. Some guys might have higher ceilings but when you are so far away it is much harder to predict if you will ever reach that ceiling.

Agreed. This is the first time I've voted for him but I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised that he belongs in the NHL.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So 11 is fair here.

Ya, we don't know much about Mueller, but we do know he has played NHL games, and we are pretty certain he will be playing in NJ this upcoming season.

The rest of list? Good possibility any one of those guys never make it to an NHL game.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya, we don't know much about Mueller, but we do know he has played NHL games, and we are pretty certain he will be playing in NJ this upcoming season.

The rest of list? Good possibility any one of those guys never make it to an NHL game.

That is the big thing. I am not sure any of the 7th rounders we picked this year or guys like White or Jacobs ever play in the NHL.

Walsh might become something good but that is so far away it is nearly impossible to predict.

Mueller has played NHL games. Same with Wood

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I keep forgetting Mueller is even on this list.

I voted him for 11th, though maybe he should have been a couple spots higher.

He definitely should be higher than everyone else still in the poll and maybe a couple guys that beat him out in the first 10.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Mueller should be 7th on this list and Miles Wood should be 6th. The guys like Rykov Blackwood Boqvist Anderson, we don't even know if they're ever going to play an NHL game. Wood and Mueller have already.

But then I guess you could look at it as : Going forward, who would I rather have? Boqvist or Mueller? and I'd probably pick Boqvist.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I have a feeling when we look back at this we are going to say "How wasn't Bastian in our top 10"

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I have a feeling when we look back at this we are going to say "How wasn't Bastian in our top 10"

Yeah, I was just thinking about how much Bastian is dropping. I think we may be overreacting to his point production drop & lack of flash at development camp. He still put up decent numbers, particularly in the playoffs, despite being put in a new position on a less talented line.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah, I was just thinking about how much Bastian is dropping. I think we may be overreacting to his point production drop & lack of flash at development camp. He still put up decent numbers, particularly in the playoffs, despite being put in a new position on a less talented line.

He was ranked 10 last year. He hasn't done anything to warrent a jump up in the rankings.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

He definitely stood out at development camp. Created the first goal and scored the game winner for his team.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He definitely stood out at development camp. Created the first goal and scored the game winner for his team.

He seemingly didn't get as much ink as some of the other guys, including Boqvist and Walsh, but you make a good point.

He was ranked 10 last year. He hasn't done anything to warrent a jump up in the rankings.

I understand this as well. Bastian's past season could be considered mildly disappointing, which is going to be the case when you don't increase your PPG, but in hindsight not too bad overall. I think some people are already writing him off though.

Might be a couple more polls before he's the pick, but I don't think there should be that much of a gap between him and Boqvist in the rankings...but I certainly understand it. I haven't voted for Bastian yet either, but agreeing that we may look back on this and realize he was ranked too low - hopefully that's the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad