Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #10

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bratt could tear up the OHL or flame out like Tony Romano. You really never know. I will go out on a limb and say he puts up 85 points this season.

I think he will do quite well in the OHL. He's coming from a league where he was one of the youngest guys in it, to a league where he will be amongst the most seasoned.

Looking at the plateau in production, I do wonder if maybe he was rushed a bit into the men's league, and that hurt his development. But he did continue to fair well in international play amongst his peer's.

Conversely it's surprising how unimpressive Boqvist had been in international play.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
At 10? This isn't high at all. Walsh is 3+ years away.

Is this some kind of the most NHL ready prospects poll? The question is who will be the best player in the NHL someday.

It's all open for interpretation really. Everybody factors different things into their rankings. Some might factor in NHL experience or readiness over potential or vice versa.

Yeah, I base it mostly on a mix of ceiling and a likelihood of hitting it, plus what we've seen in whatever games/camps that have been available.

I really don't factor in NHL-readiness because there's a lot that can go into that besides on-ice play (Rykov's KHL contract, for example; college commitments for another; etc.). Whether a guy is NHL-ready next year or in three years means almost nothing to me.

To me, Walsh will likely end up a very good mid-pairing defenseman with a small chance of being a good top-pairing guy. And again, to me, Wood likely ends up a bottom-six winger - outside chance of top six if he can figure out things besides skating really fast.

One of those things is far more important than the other. Hence, my vote.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I base it mostly on a mix of ceiling and a likelihood of hitting it, plus what we've seen in whatever games/camps that have been available.

I really don't factor in NHL-readiness because there's a lot that can go into that besides on-ice play (Rykov's KHL contract, for example; college commitments for another; etc.). Whether a guy is NHL-ready next year or in three years means almost nothing to me.

To me, Walsh will likely end up a very good mid-pairing defenseman with a small chance of being a good top-pairing guy. And again, to me, Wood likely ends up a bottom-six winger - outside chance of top six if he can figure out things besides skating really fast.

One of those things is far more important than the other. Hence, my vote.
On what are you basing Walsh as a likely "very good mid-pairing d-man"?

Certainly not his draft position. Is it the developmental camp? Some in depth scouting report somewhere?

To me Walsh is a guy who right now you might really like, moreso then his draft position suggests, but we have to see how he develops before we get to giddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad