2017 fall Board of Governors meeting

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Karlsson and Senators face big-picture questions - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman notes

At the recent NHL board of governors meeting, commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly indicated a desire to solidify the futures of player and puck tracking. It’s taken too long to get to this point, but the league is pushing hard with the encouragement of its teams. Bettman indicated we’re looking at the 2019 playoffs at the earliest, with camera-based technology instead of chips embedded in the players’ equipment or pucks. (Daly indicated that was too expensive.)
Jogmo, a German company, made a pitch to be used at all-star weekend in Tampa. The NBA uses SportVU (a camera-based system) for its data and analysis, but there are doubts hockey will go that route. The NFL’s choice is Zebra Technologies. In 2016, their tags were put in players’ pads to track speed, acceleration and deceleration. Now, the balls themselves are tagged. Next season, the NFL will partner with Amazon Web Services, which powers MLB’s excellent Statcast.
I’m not sure which company the NHL will go with, since, as Bettman said, it is looking to “invent technology that doesn’t currently exist.”

And Friedman looks at the debate between NHL and NHLPA about how the concern over tracking may be more related to the science of tracking players' status. The concern is that those collected stats might be used against them in arbitration/contract negotiations. Some teams seem to have a more trustworthy reputation that others with that information.

Arbitration use is definitely a CBA thing.

But I can see stat geeks loving it (if they have access).

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
^^^^^

I understand the PA's thought that information could be used against them in negotiations and/or arbitration. However, if evidence exists that shows that certain players are not-so-fast skaters, and don't move around as much as they could, isn't that valuable information for teams in evaluating players?

What exactly are the players afraid of?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Evaluating players - sure. Not an issue.

But CBA restricts game stats used in arbitration to some specific #s. (And currently, that kind of information is not able to be included)

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Evaluating players - sure. Not an issue.

But CBA restricts game stats used in arbitration to some specific #s. (And currently, that kind of information is not able to be included)

Got it. So, it's perfectly valid in contract negotiations. But, not for use in arbitration, because the arbitration process is clearly defined in the CBA, and makes no mention of that information.

I can except that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad