2017 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
True. Vettel getting stuck behind Verstappen probably forced Ferrari to pit earlier than they wanted, Verstappen could've gone further with the super softs based on how long Ricciardo stayed out too.

It's just a very foolish decision by Ferrari, Vettel wouldn't have lost any positions had he pitted the lap Raikkonen's tyre blew up. Nothing to gain and everything to lose by staying out that extra lap.

Well, it was good for Kimi. I'm not going to like I like that team currently, due to compromising Kimi's strategy for Vettels good couple times. Good luck that Vette'ls tire broke, too.

This season has been great to watch. There is something I like about cars. Feels like real F1 season since long time.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Despite 9/10 teams voting against the proposal today, the FIA will be making the halo mandatory next year in F1. Comments or thoughts?

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
FIA has ultimate authority over "safety" issues, but I'll agree that Liberty would seem to be in a position to negotiate something between what the teams, fans and the FIA wants. My understanding is that FIA will issue a standard halo spec, but I would think given time the various designers of each team could come up with something better. If the teams were overwhelming in favor of this, I'd say so be it, but obviously they don't like this halo idea either.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Despite 9/10 teams voting against the proposal today, the FIA will be making the halo mandatory next year in F1. Comments or thoughts?

giphy.gif

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
My own opinion is that the halo looks stupid, and if you're going to put bars around a driver's head, why not just put a full canopy instead? I know it won't be an open cockpit anymore, but the halo looks dumb. At least a canopy can look better. If the priority is driver safety, then a canopy is safer too.

I know, it won't be an open cockpit anymore, but I personally don't really care all that much about that. The purists probably will.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The weirdest thing about the halo dispute is that FIA seems to have zero plans to implement it to F2/GP3 (or they haven't revealed it yet) for next season. Surely those are the two classes that need it more and could actually test it for F1, right?

Either do it properly or don't do it at all (for next season, I'm not 100% against the idea). Rushing the halo for next season has half-assed just because written all over it. The changes made after what happened to Bianchi (VSC, more cranes around the track, no tractors on track unless the whole grid is behind the SC) has lowered the chance of something hitting the driver's head from what it used to be. Sure the halo will stop a tyre, but what else? The spring that bounced off Massa's head? Nope, if it happens at the right angle. A sharp corner like what Bianchi hit? Again nope.

So we're getting a fix for the one thing that FIA supposedly has under control already, aren't the tyres meant to have wires or something along that to keep them from flying off when a crash happens?

TL;DR, the whole thing is a mess.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
So Sauber has dropped Honda and will run with Ferrari power units in 2018. And they will use 2018 spec Ferrari power units too. None of this year-old crap that they are doing this year.

As for the Halo...
The FIA has said that the halo will provide a 17% increase in safety.

Also, Hamilton thinks the Halos are the first step to F1 becoming a closed cockpit racing series and he thinks it should go that way because closed cockpit concepts looks way cooler than the halo (his words).
He also wants to see the halos used in lower categories, and it seems like the FIA will implement that too.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I know di Resta is their reserve driver, so technically that is his job to fill in, but they really couldn't find a younger driver? Someone like Gasly? I'm sure the top teams would loan their development driver for one race.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I know di Resta is their reserve driver, so technically that is his job to fill in, but they really couldn't find a younger driver? Someone like Gasly? I'm sure the top teams would loan their development driver for one race.

Gasly is doing Formula E now isn't he?

Di Resta did well to not qualify last considering he's never driven this car, and it's not like Stroll did much better, but Williams were always going to struggle at this circuit

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
There was a bit about the Halo on Channel 4's qualifying coverage earlier and it showed you a tyre being fired at the thing. To show that it can withstand the impact of tyres hitting it. Except the tyres are all tethered to the car now and are near completely unlikely to actually come off and hit the cockpit area with that sort of force. Are the Halos going to withstand the impact of a tyre hitting them when it has the force and weight of a car behind it? I doubt it, somehow.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
There was a bit about the Halo on Channel 4's qualifying coverage earlier and it showed you a tyre being fired at the thing. To show that it can withstand the impact of tyres hitting it. Except the tyres are all tethered to the car now and are near completely unlikely to actually come off and hit the cockpit area with that sort of force. Are the Halos going to withstand the impact of a tyre hitting them when it has the force and weight of a car behind it? I doubt it, somehow.

The halo is absolute ****ing garbage

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Buemi is having to keep the steering wheel tilted to the right down the straights to keep it in a straight line and he's still managing to overtake these Formula E jobbers

Surprised Hamilton hasn't sabotaged his car to live out a Senna fantasy like this

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Hats off to Lewis for letting Bottas overtake him in the last corner. I honestly wasn't expecting him to do that anymore, because Verstappen had caught up with Bottas and tbf Bottas was obviously slower in the last half of the race. We've seen countless times how the drivers ignore these team orders/agreements when Championship points are on the line. I absolutely expected Lewis to just get the extra points there and explain it by saying it was too risky to switch with Max so close.

I thought Ferrari would mess up by not switching positions but Hungaroring is one of those tracks where overtaking is really difficult without a massively faster car. Worked out perfectly for them eventually for both championship standings.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I thought Ferrari would mess up by not switching positions but Hungaroring is one of those tracks where overtaking is really difficult without a massively faster car. Worked out perfectly for them eventually for both championship standings.

It was definately the more risky approach in terms of getting the victory, but it likely offered the better chance to secure 1st and 2nd place, and it did pay off in the end. I'm not sure if Vettel would have been able to keep Hamilton and Bottas behind him, as his car was clearly not up to par.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
One day I'd love to see a full season of Verstappen where he doesn't hit anyone in the first lap. He's so fun to watch but **** like yesterday pisses me off.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
One day I'd love to see a full season of Verstappen where he doesn't hit anyone in the first lap. He's so fun to watch but **** like yesterday pisses me off.

He drives like ****. Started to hate him when he crashed Kimi multiple times last season or one before it..

I mean, he can drive fast, he might even be elite talent I think, but he cannot avoid crashing, and doesn't even want.

He is taking the code away from F1. He tursts that nobdy can get hurt with todays car.. if this was 90's, that guy would get his ass kicked by other drivers behind the dark corner, seriously.. Now it's just so long time from last driver death or serious injury that happened because crash (I'm not counting bianchi RIP 2014), that some drivers start to drive like bad persons. The cars are so safe I guess he thinks we can now evolve the racing to demolition derby.. I'm pretty sure if drivers like maldonado, verstappen ect get to drive so easily in F1 and too young drivers get in, we're getting if no death, some life time injuries sooner or later. Case maldonado was, he was just that bad driver. Case Verstappen is, he just doesn't care.

Luckily this one didin't end up being that dangerous. Still His overtake from Ricciardo was less than amateur.. That was what I see players who cannot play do in Xbox one F1 game.. Overtaking by ramming in some one's side, knokcing the other guy out of track, staying on track yourself and gaining position.

Last edited:

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Kubica completed 142 laps, 4th fastest in the Renault today during testing at Hungry. Wait until 2018, or bye-bye to Palmer this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad