2017 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You know Pirelli dropped the ball, when the softest compound is more durable than the two harder compounds.

Another boring race.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Kyvat goes into turn one like it's a video game. What a dummy.

Max is really having a nightmare season.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
You know Pirelli dropped the ball, when the softest compound is more durable than the two harder compounds.

Another boring race.

Was it though?
Massa started on the yellow tyres, and he lasted longer than anyone else. Some cars may have worked better on the ultra soft than on the super soft, but I wouldn't count that as a general "ultra soft held the longest".

Tyres in general seem to hold up a bit too well though. They already use the softest possible choices on most of the tracks, and it still isn' soft enough. Though to be fair, it is tough to find a proper solution. You don't want to have a situation where the tyres fall apart completely at a certain point, because then you'd probably run into the old issue of no one daring to take his car to the limit anymore. It's better to see them driving aggressively than to have them on tyre-saving mode for 90% of the race.

The race wasn't particularly interesting though, I agree on that one.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Was it though?
Massa started on the yellow tyres, and he lasted longer than anyone else. Some cars may have worked better on the ultra soft than on the super soft, but I wouldn't count that as a general "ultra soft held the longest".

Tyres in general seem to hold up a bit too well though. They already use the softest possible choices on most of the tracks, and it still isn' soft enough. Though to be fair, it is tough to find a proper solution. You don't want to have a situation where the tyres fall apart completely at a certain point, because then you'd probably run into the old issue of no one daring to take his car to the limit anymore. It's better to see them driving aggressively than to have them on tyre-saving mode for 90% of the race.

The race wasn't particularly interesting though, I agree on that one.
Bottas was lapping a consistent 1:09 on ultra softs for 44 laps, that's over half the race distance. It's not just the distance, it's the pace as well. That shouldn't be possible if the tyres were done right.

Super softs fit Ferrari better than Mercedes, Vettel was slightly faster than Bottas through the beginning of that stint and then really caught up at the end when VB's tyres died, Raikkonen was faster than Hamilton as well (caught Hamilton by like 6 seconds right after Kimi pitted) before Kimi lost 10+ seconds in traffic.

As for the bolded, is everyone doing the same strategy and driving in a queue that much better? Hamilton getting stuck behind Raikkonen is the perfect example of how it's close to impossible to overtake with this year's cars, unless the car ahead has completely dead tyres. The tyres maintain their life too well, that is the biggest issue that reflects on everything.

The FIA looked at the telemetry and decided Bottas didn't jump the start, but all the armchair stewards on twitter be like "BUT HE DID!! I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES!!" :laugh:
Bottas didn't jump the start, but at the same time he didn't react to the lights either. He was pretty much predicting when the lights will turn off and he would've been ****ed if there had been a delay due to a stalled car or some other issue.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The FIA looked at the telemetry and decided Bottas didn't jump the start, but all the armchair stewards on twitter be like "BUT HE DID!! I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES!!" :laugh:

I read that they have transponders in car and in grid, for every car, and they decide if its jump start. They allow ~inch of movement before transponder detects that as jump start, that has been in the rule for 20 years.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-start-penalty-austria-fia-928763/

Bunch of whiners who talk about jump start. I have seen movement before lights many times in F1 without penalty, but now when it's bottas these masses of Vettel ect fans are attacking him.

If it's good start by the rules, then it is a good start. Simple as that.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Haas has already matched their point total from last year, now sitting just 4 points back of 6th place Torro Rosso. That's pretty impressive.

Ferrari bringing Version 3 of their PU to the British GP next week. I think it's just an ICE upgrade, one that doesn't illegally (allegedly) burn oil.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
There's a report that Honda is killing the deal to supply Sauber with PUs and tech support in 2018 due to management changes at Sauber. Deal was just announced in April.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Danil Kvyat is the new age hybrid of Pastor Maldonado and Takuma Sato.

Poor guys like Alonso, Max, Lance get screwed every race by him.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Auto Bild Motorsport says that Sainz is going to replace Palmer for the Hungary GP and Gasly is the top contender to fill the empty Toro Rosso seat. Renault is apparently prepared to pay around 7M to buyout Sainz from his current contract.

Talk about a bombshell if that happens.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Auto Bild Motorsport says that Sainz is going to replace Palmer for the Hungary GP and Gasly is the top contender to fill the empty Toro Rosso seat. Renault is apparently prepared to pay around 7M to buyout Sainz from his current contract.

Talk about a bombshell if that happens.

Eddie Jordan said today that Palmer would be swapping seats with Wehrlein after Hungary...

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I would love if Bottas can snag the win from Lewis tomorrow. It wouldn't be as good as if Nico had done it but I'd love to see that cocky insincere patriotic little **** get beat at home, in fact even better if it's the Aussie that does it.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Eddie Jordan said today that Palmer would be swapping seats with Wehrlein after Hungary...
It's Eddie Jordan, his credibility has taken a beating lately.

Even if the Renault thing doesn't end up happening, something has to give with Sainz and TR/RB. That relationship went south quickly and as much as the RB brass have boasted about Sainz having a contract through next season, I really doubt they want a toxic enviroment like that with the team. Kvyat is 99.99% gone next season, imagine how that drama is going to affect Gasly if they keep Sainz around.

Naw lads

Robert Kubica is going to take his seat at Renault and Jolyon will be jobbing around in Formula E next year
I don't get the fascination people have on Kubica. The guy is 33 (at the end of the year), he hasn't driven in F1 since 2010 and he hasn't driven these current V6 turbo era cars at all (I think the test he did was with an older car, right?).

It's a shame what happened to him, but he's been away from the sport for too long.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
This could've been a really interesting race, had there been more pitstops. Every team doing a one stop kills any tension.

Oh well, championship lead is down to one point, that's good. I don't understand why Ferrari didn't pit Vettel right after Kimi's tyre exploded like RB did to Verstappen, Vettel wouldn't have lost anything with that extra stop and he would've re-joined in front of Raikkonen which is what Ferrari wants for the championship at the end of the day. Vettel threw away 9 points basically.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Don't forget they had lap one under caution to start, so these tire issues would have most likely happened one lap earlier if they ran the full race at speed. Perhaps it may have jumbled things even more in that scenario. Maybe not. Fluky end.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Don't forget they had lap one under caution to start, so these tire issues would have most likely happened one lap earlier if they ran the full race at speed. Perhaps it may have jumbled things even more in that scenario. Maybe not. Fluky end.
True. Vettel getting stuck behind Verstappen probably forced Ferrari to pit earlier than they wanted, Verstappen could've gone further with the super softs based on how long Ricciardo stayed out too.

It's just a very foolish decision by Ferrari, Vettel wouldn't have lost any positions had he pitted the lap Raikkonen's tyre blew up. Nothing to gain and everything to lose by staying out that extra lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad