2017 Draft

Klumppa

Jun 8, 2015
This is what I'm hoping goes on at tonights draft and its wishful thinking. I know.

To Vancouver:
3rd OA, Mark McNeil & Patrick Nemeth

To Dallas:
5th OA & Chris Tanev

To Winnipeg:
5th OA, Jamie Oleksiak & Remi Elie

To Dallas:
Jacob Trouba

To Arizona:
29th OA & 3rd round pick

To Dallas:
23rd OA - Dallas selects goaltender Jake Oettenger

revamped defence looks like
Klingberg- Trouba
Hamhuis-Tanev
Honka-Johns
Lindell

Klingberg is an RHD
Honka is an RHD

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Klingberg is an RHD
Honka is an RHD

So are Tanev and Trouba. If you acquire 5 right shot D, someone is playing LD. Now ... I don't think those trade scenarios are realistic, but in this crazy hypothetical, he probably picked the 2 guys who could best handle LD so I don't think that's the issue with those proposals.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Jeff Marek was on with Bob Sturm to discuss the draft and he loves Heiskanen. Thinks that should and will be the pick. He admitted an affinity towards the blue line, though.

He also said he had heard the rumors of NJ taking Makar and if Nolan and Heiskanen were both there, he said to trust the scouts though and go with the higher rated player...and that might still be Miro.

Likes what the Stars have done, but is still a little concerned about the goal-tending and defense. Loves Benn and Seguin and predicts a bounce back year from Klingberg, under Hitch.

So if New Jersey has Makar,Patrick and Heiskanen available they'll take Makar right or is there chance Devils take Patrick or Heiskanen.
And where's Hischier is he falling out of TOP3.
This gets me confused.

Timani

So if New Jersey has Makar,Patrick and Heiskanen available they'll take Makar right or is there chance Devils take Patrick or Heiskanen.
And where's Hischier is he falling out of TOP3.
This gets me confused.

I believe NJ likes Hischier and Philly likes Patrick, but I don't know which way Philly would roll if NJ ends up taking Makar at 1. IF it went Makar and then Hischier, I'm guessing Vegas would be putting on the full-court press on the Stars to move up for Patrick. What that entails, I have no idea, but if I knew the Stars could get Heiskanen at 6 (doubtful), I'd do the trade and try to get one of the mid-round picks to grab Valamaki. That would go so far in fixing the defense it would be worth it.

I still think most of this is smoke and it plays out as planned, though, and goes Hischier, Patrick and Heiskanen.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
With Philadelphia's history of sports hernia issues, I think the only way they take Patrick is if Hischier goes #1. If Makar goes number 1, I think Phili takes Hischier.

Last Laf

Who's Laffing Now
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Heiskanen Im super thrill!!! but to move up 3 spot to draft Ointment the goalie at 26!? lol hahaha....what a joke.

1. You drafted Jack Campell and he failed big time at 11th and now you are picking Ointment to be his successor.

2. Kari Lehtonen drafted 2nd overall and guess what he have been splitting time with Niemi the past 2 years and he is undrafted.

3. Your new starting goaltender who you just traded for and gave a big contract to was drafted in the 3rd round.

So the history (Campell) the present ( Lehtonen and Niemi) and the future (Bishop) is there for you to learn and still you picked Ointment at 26th lol. I bet anyone that Colton Point we drafted last year will be the starting goaltender for us down the road and not Ointment.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Heiskanen Im super thrill!!! but to move up 3 spot to draft Ointment the goalie at 26!? lol hahaha....what a joke.

1. You drafted Jack Campell and he failed big time at 11th and now you are picking Ointment to be his successor.

2. Kari Lehtonen drafted 2nd overall and guess what he have been splitting time with Niemi the past 2 years and he is undrafted.

3. Your new starting goaltender who you just traded for and gave a big contract to was drafted in the 3rd round.

So the history (Campell) the present ( Lehtonen and Niemi) and the future (Bishop) is there for you to learn and still you picked Ointment at 26th lol. I bet anyone that Colton Point we drafted last year will be the starting goaltender for us down the road and not Ointment.

Or perhaps Philippe Desrosiers. You can never have enough quality goalies. The more you have the better odds of finding a really good one.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013

Stop

serp

Jan 17, 2016
with what? the truth? history is not on our side when it come to drafting goalies in the 1st round.

Campell was Top 10 pick this is a late first rounder . THats different. The team wanted Oettinger so they took him.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Happy Nill went just the way I wanted him to...you could look it up, but I was and am stoked to get the best D (some discussion on Makar naturally, but ours if a leftie) and best G in the first round. How can you do better than that, especially when a good goal scoring forward drops to you at 39?

If anything comes from the rest of the draft, it is gravy, but most likely AHL depth, which it usually is anyway. Of course, stats would show probably at best 2 of our top 3 picks works out, as it always looks rosiest on draft day.

The entire goalie in the first round is dumb argument is overstated with specific examples. First round goalies make it about 40% to 70% for other draftees, so basically, you have a 50% less chance of Otter being an impact player than if you drafted something else. When you need a goalie, see a major talent available at your draft spot (or trade up 3 spots) you take him.

In reality, while 70% of first rounders make it, its still only about 40% when you get to the end of the first round anyway. If he was the player they liked, they took him, and it will probably work out.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hoping Green Star is being sarcastic.

As we all know, statistically, whatever happened with some former draft pick from a different GM (or even the same one) has little if anything to do with the chances of success of a current one.

Just like the announcers telling us we have lost our last 4 in XX. Doesn't mean we are going to lose the next one......

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Happy Nill went just the way I wanted him to...you could look it up, but I was and am stoked to get the best D (some discussion on Makar naturally, but ours if a leftie) and best G in the first round. How can you do better than that, especially when a good goal scoring forward drops to you at 39?

If anything comes from the rest of the draft, it is gravy, but most likely AHL depth, which it usually is anyway. Of course, stats would show probably at best 2 of our top 3 picks works out, as it always looks rosiest on draft day.

The entire goalie in the first round is dumb argument is overstated with specific examples. First round goalies make it about 40% to 70% for other draftees, so basically, you have a 50% less chance of Otter being an impact player than if you drafted something else. When you need a goalie, see a major talent available at your draft spot (or trade up 3 spots) you take him.

In reality, while 70% of first rounders make it, its still only about 40% when you get to the end of the first round anyway. If he was the player they liked, they took him, and it will probably work out.

Just imagine if DiPietro turns out to be better than Oettinger, and both Tolvanen and Kostin turn into impact top-6 players...

I thought it was a pretty good draft for us overall, nabbing Heiskanen and Robertson.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Just imagine if DiPietro turns out to be better than Oettinger, and both Tolvanen and Kostin turn into impact top-6 players...

I thought it was a pretty good draft for us overall, nabbing Heiskanen and Robertson.

Just imagine if Oettinger becomes an elite starter, and both Tolvanen and Kostin bust...

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The lottery gives the best odds to the team that finishes last but they have much larger odds of not getting the top pick than of drafting at #1. Do not think "we got the best defenseman." Do not think "we got the best goalie." The odds are heavily against either being true even if we do have the best odds because we had the most choices.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

You can go back to every draft and find flubs, what might have beens, etc. As an armchair/20/20 hindsight GM's, we can afford to throw out scenarios as if they will be true and sound smart. Nill and Co. had to make decisions based on a few years of hard study and a few minutes on the clock........

I get a good feeling about Otter V2, but then, Samsanov and a few others that haven't set the world on fire gave me similar feelings, so obviously, there are no guarantees. Statistically, they used a "free pick" obtained from the Ducks and I feel a lot better about using that on a lower % of success by position draftee.

But again, history means nothing. Scouting and development will.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
You can go back to every draft and find flubs, what might have beens, etc. As an armchair/20/20 hindsight GM's, we can afford to throw out scenarios as if they will be true and sound smart. Nill and Co. had to make decisions based on a few years of hard study and a few minutes on the clock........

I get a good feeling about Otter V2, but then, Samsanov and a few others that haven't set the world on fire gave me similar feelings, so obviously, there are no guarantees. Statistically, they used a "free pick" obtained from the Ducks and I feel a lot better about using that on a lower % of success by position draftee.

But again, history means nothing. Scouting and development will.

Goalies are just strange, as well. Matt Murray wasn't anything special until he got to the AHL. Price took what, almost 10 years after being drafted to get to his current level? Really hard to tell at any point what you've got with them.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Goalies are just strange, as well. Matt Murray wasn't anything special until he got to the AHL. Price took what, almost 10 years after being drafted to get to his current level? Really hard to tell at any point what you've got with them.

At one point, Halak stole the starting job from Price in the playoffs.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I realize he's only the second goalie taken in the first round of the NHL Draft over the last five years, but over time, some have been successful.

While it feels to some like drafting a goalie in the 1st round never seems to go well, I found some 2013 stats about goalies drafted in the 1st round from 1988-2008.

Out of a total of 44 goalies picked in round 1, 15 of them currently play in the NHL and 17 have retired - 32 of 44, or almost 75% "made it" at some level. About 14 were starters in 2013 and/or long time NHL starters, including Brodeur, Schneider, Luongo, Rask, Varlamov, Gigure, Kari, Ward, Bernier, Fleury, etc.

Granted, many more drafted in rounds 2 and 3, so first round isn't quite as statistically high to net a long time starter, but again, statistically, its a gamble, but not so much if you believe they are a player you need (and boy, do the Stars need another goalie of the future) but nowhere near "never, ever, never, ever" territory.

The "never" part is really typical fan over reaction. I am quite sure the teams that drafted those above feel okay about those picks (in general, each one has its own story) Then again, each current prospect has his story.

Dipetro may turn out to be equal or better than Otter, who knows. Nill had a decision to make, and he made it when it counted. Pretty easy to second guess from the upper deck. I mean, its not like second guessing LV for letting Methot go for such a low price.....although, both sides of fans are actually doing that, too.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I realize he's only the second goalie taken in the first round of the NHL Draft over the last five years, but over time, some have been successful.

While it feels to some like drafting a goalie in the 1st round never seems to go well, I found some 2013 stats about goalies drafted in the 1st round from 1988-2008.

Out of a total of 44 goalies picked in round 1, 15 of them currently play in the NHL and 17 have retired - 32 of 44, or almost 75% "made it" at some level. About 14 were starters in 2013 and/or long time NHL starters, including Brodeur, Schneider, Luongo, Rask, Varlamov, Gigure, Kari, Ward, Bernier, Fleury, etc.

Granted, many more drafted in rounds 2 and 3, so first round isn't quite as statistically high to net a long time starter, but again, statistically, its a gamble, but not so much if you believe they are a player you need (and boy, do the Stars need another goalie of the future) but nowhere near "never, ever, never, ever" territory.

The "never" part is really typical fan over reaction. I am quite sure the teams that drafted those above feel okay about those picks (in general, each one has its own story) Then again, each current prospect has his story.

Dipetro may turn out to be equal or better than Otter, who knows. Nill had a decision to make, and he made it when it counted. Pretty easy to second guess from the upper deck. I mean, its not like second guessing LV for letting Methot go for such a low price.....although, both sides of fans are actually doing that, too.

It's not that they "never" work out. I just think goalies shouldn't be a priority in the early stages of any draft unless you're talking about someone expected to go top 3, top 5 since it's such a crap shoot. Not only that but out of all the positions goalies are by far the easiest to acquire. Only ~60 get to play in the NHL. Compare that to 360+ for forward, and 180+ for defensemen. Supply and demand. There are always high end guys that are available pretty much every year and plenty of prospects more developed than those at the draft. Heck, how many years have we gotten by without a home grown goalie? We traded a bag of pucks for Kari and a 4th rounder for Bishop. There's always quality out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad