2017 Draft

________

Feb 6, 2006
Grant McCagg has had Heiskanen at one for months, and he had him in his Top 10 for most of the year. Friedman has speculated that New Jersey could go D for some time.

I wouldn't say the odds are great, but it's hardly 1 or 2 people saying this.

Yeah NHL scouts have Heiskanen in their top two.

Every NHL scout I know well has Heiskanen in their top 2...and they are all senior scouts.

I apologize if that's not what it says on the lists you look at....

(pre-draft lottery)
Yes....trust me..no NHL scouts are shocked...all of the ones I've talked to since the U-18 think he's top two and Colorado would be a great fit.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Haven't followedMcCagg much. I did see that by Friedman, but I'm pretty sure he suggested they're more likely to go center, I'll have to see if I can find that.

It's not really a draft I'd refer to as wide open. The last wide open draft (IMO) was 2014.

NHL teams lists vary a lot. It wouldn't shock me if some teams had Makar/Heiskanen (either order) as #1 and #2 in the draft.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I agree with pretty much everything here.

Am I wrong in thinking we should give Oleksiak and Nemeth one more year as well? Or at least give them each a bit of a showing early this year, see if they can do anything with better coaching and possibly some consistency?

We could give one of them an extra year. If we keep both then I don't know what we are doing

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As I said over in trade rumors, Ditka once said there shouldn't be any 5-7 year vets playing backup. Jamie O is getting no the fringe of being cut loose, or being involved in a change of scenery trade, at least IMHO.

Timani

We could give one of them an extra year. If we keep both then I don't know what we are doing

I would think this is the year for Oleksiak if it is going to happen for him. I would like to see what he can do in a more structured system. I still have hopes for him, but it needs to show up soon.

Honestly, I still don't know what to make of our young defense after the Ruff experience.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

When I read first time McCagg's delusional estimates Heiskanen going 1st overall i laughed my ass off so badly i almost supported my tuna sandwich.

McCagg has been sky high on Heiskanen after U18 WJC's.
Yes Heiskanen had really good performance in Slovakia but one U18 World championships tournament not make anyone 1st overall selection.

Would be great to get know what McCagg is smoking for.
Yes i'm a HIFK fan i have seen Heiskanen playing in SM liiga this past season.

But if he is real 1st overall candidate he would have been 1st overall speculations during entire season 2016-2017.
And not just after U18 WJC's when McCagg started bumping Heiskanen's tires on 1st overall conversation.

Heiskanen will go TOP5 or TOP10 but not 1st overall.

Last edited:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Nill told Shapiro they have 4 players at 3 they like. He agreed with a fan who speculated that list was Nico, Nolan, Heiskanen, and Makar.

Just because we were on the topic, Shapiro pointed out that some people have Makar at 1 as well.

Colorado's head scout indicated that the Avs have four players they are looking at for pick number 4. I am presuming that the players are Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, or Makar. I think those four players have separated themselves for the draft.

Klingberg

Feb 25, 2015
Hamilton, ON
This is what I'm hoping goes on at tonights draft and its wishful thinking. I know.

To Vancouver:
3rd OA, Mark McNeil & Patrick Nemeth

To Dallas:
5th OA & Chris Tanev

To Winnipeg:
5th OA, Jamie Oleksiak & Remi Elie

To Dallas:
Jacob Trouba

To Arizona:
29th OA & 3rd round pick

To Dallas:
23rd OA - Dallas selects goaltender Jake Oettenger

revamped defence looks like
Klingberg- Trouba
Hamhuis-Tanev
Honka-Johns
Lindell

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
This is what I'm hoping goes on at tonights draft and its wishful thinking. I know.

To Vancouver:

To Dallas:
5th OA & Chris Tanev

To Winnipeg:

To Dallas:
Jacob Trouba

To Arizona:
29th OA & 3rd round pick

To Dallas:

Klingberg- Trouba
Hamhuis-Tanev
Honka-Johns
Lindell

Jets wouldn't do that deal. I could live with the Vancouver deal. Doubt that's enough for Ari to move back, and Oettenger most likely will be there at 29

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas

To Vancouver:

To Dallas:
5th OA & Chris Tanev

To Winnipeg:

To Dallas:
Jacob Trouba

To Arizona:
29th OA & 3rd round pick

To Dallas:

Klingberg- Trouba
Hamhuis-Tanev
Honka-Johns
Lindell

I am a Stars fan and I laughed at those trades. Those are terrible for the other teams

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Moving up to select Oettinger is a bad use of assets. I'm hesitant to even select him at 29 let alone trade away picks for him. We need more prospect depth all around after the failure that was the 2014 draft. Trading away picks is counter intuitive at the moment.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is McCagg turned his coat?.
First he's high on that Heiskanen goes to New Jersey and now he's high on Makar goes to New Jersey.

This proves that McCagg is confused as a wall clock.
What weed that guy ( McCagg) is smoking for.

You and I aren't reading the same words. McCagg is still high on Heiskanen. He's reporting that he hears NJ is specifically seriously considering Makar. McCagg didn't alter his personal rankings.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
If Dallas can move back to 5 or 6 and still get Heiskanen then I'm in. Problem is Colorado at 4. If NJ takes Makar, then the Avs will take Miro. I have no desire to help out Jersey or Vegas/Vancouver at the expense of our future blue line.

That said, I wouldn't be upset at all if we could nab #13 or #15 if Vegas comes in with a strong enough offer on top of the extra pick.

Timani

Jeff Marek was on with Bob Sturm to discuss the draft and he loves Heiskanen. Thinks that should and will be the pick. He admitted an affinity towards the blue line, though.

He also said he had heard the rumors of NJ taking Makar and if Nolan and Heiskanen were both there, he said to trust the scouts though and go with the higher rated player...and that might still be Miro.

Likes what the Stars have done, but is still a little concerned about the goal-tending and defense. Loves Benn and Seguin and predicts a bounce back year from Klingberg, under Hitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad