Prospect Info: 2017 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Saw a mock of us taking Rasmussen, and Button has Poehling ranked #9. Hoping we don't go for either of those guys.

Saw that too. Not interested in Rasmussen at all. Would be extremely disappointed in the scouting staff if we went that route.

I'm really warming up to Mittelstadt. Almost excited about getting him at this point. Not gonna lie, him being back in the USHL and tearing it up does influence my opinion, but there's a lot of talent there regardless. Also think he'd be a good fit for the roster going forward.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I need some skill out of this draft, regardless of position. Seems like the team has really prioritized size over the last few years, but after Chevy we don't have any skilled guys in the pipeline.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Russian prospect pool this year is rather weak but one guy is intriguing to me - Lipanov. He is 6'0", 165, late birthday but he held himself against men in VHL with 8 points in 21 games and was really successful in international competition. He is likely to play 1C for Russia at WJC U-18. He is a complete package - good speed, vision and hands, competent defensively. Despite all that he is really underrated - probably because no-one scouts VHL so there is a chance he falls to our 2nd round pick. I would be really happy to take a chance on him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Russian prospect pool this year is rather weak but one guy is intriguing to me - Lipanov. He is 6'0", 165, late birthday but he held himself against men in VHL with 8 points in 21 games and was really successful in international competition. He is likely to play 1C for Russia at WJC U-18. He is a complete package - good speed, vision and hands, competent defensively. Despite all that he is really underrated - probably because no-one scouts VHL so there is a chance he falls to our 2nd round pick. I would be really happy to take a chance on him.

I know he's an overager, but what about SHVYRYOV?

Last edited:

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
I know he's an overager, but what about SHVYRYOV?

Shvyryov is a strange case. Yes, he has offensive talent and 70 points in 40 games in MHL is excellent. He has his weaknesses - he's inconsistent and raw defensively. He got called up to the KHL but averaged around a minute in 10 games - which probably means coaches want him to train with men, maybe to reward him, but he's not good enough to actually play on the powerhouse Metallurg team. He wasn't impressive at Hlinka and he wasn't invited to U-18 team last year despite his production.

He should make the team for Five Nations tournament in April so I'd wait until it ends before deciding one way or another. He seems like a boom or bust prospect to me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Shvyryov is a strange case. Yes, he has offensive talent and 70 points in 40 games in MHL is excellent. He has his weaknesses - he's inconsistent and raw defensively. He got called up to the KHL but averaged around a minute in 10 games - which probably means coaches want him to train with men, maybe to reward him, but he's not good enough to actually play on the powerhouse Metallurg team. He wasn't impressive at Hlinka and he wasn't invited to U-18 team last year despite his production.

He should make the team for Five Nations tournament in April so I'd wait until it ends before deciding one way or another. He seems like a boom or bust prospect to me.

Maybe worth a late round pick, or not quite?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Saw that too. Not interested in Rasmussen at all. Would be extremely disappointed in the scouting staff if we went that route.

I'm really warming up to Mittelstadt. Almost excited about getting him at this point. Not gonna lie, him being back in the USHL and tearing it up does influence my opinion, but there's a lot of talent there regardless. Also think he'd be a good fit for the roster going forward.

I am getting there too on Mittelstadt. If we don't win the lottery to draft Patrick or Hischier I think Mittelstadt is a great option.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I am getting there too on Mittelstadt. If we don't win the lottery to draft Patrick or Hischier I think Mittelstadt is a great option.

My only issue with Mittelstadt is that some people who have seen him live have said that he struggles at 5v5 and gets most of his points on the PP. While we do have an awful PP I'd be leery of drafting him in the top 5 until he shows that he can be just as good at 5v5.

If we don't get one of the 2 forwards at the top I'd like us to take someone that can be a possession player and carry the play at 5v5, even if the player is slightly less dynamic.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
My only issue with Mittelstadt is that some people who have seen him live have said that he struggles at 5v5 and gets most of his points on the PP. While we do have an awful PP I'd be leery of drafting him in the top 5 until he shows that he can be just as good at 5v5.

If we don't get one of the 2 forwards at the top I'd like us to take someone that can be a possession player and carry the play at 5v5, even if the player is slightly less dynamic.

I understand the concerns about 5x5 production in the USHL, but he is very,very skilled with the puck and has good vision, two vital elements for good possession play. I won't call him an obvious choice, but the case for him is still very strong.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I understand the concerns about 5x5 production in the USHL, but he is very,very skilled with the puck and has good vision, two vital elements for good possession play. I won't call him an obvious choice, but the case for him is still very strong.

I agree with that. There are about 4 or 5 players we could take and I wouldn't be too upset with the outcome. There really is no definitive #3 in this draft and almost every player comes with some pretty big question marks, including both Patrick and Hischier. Any one of Vilardi, Mittlestadt, Liljegren, Pettersson, or Heiskanen and I'd be happy. Even saying that players like Glass and Suzuki could find they're way in to the group if they have good U18/playoffs

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
I saw Hakan Andersson an hour ago, at the U20 quarter final between Modo and Timrå. I suppose he was there to check out Elias Pettersson and others.

Anton Karlström of Modo scored an amazing goal. Not sure if he's been mentioned in any draft rankings at all, but just because Hakan must have seen his great goal I'll toss him in as a candidate for a late round pick

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I saw Hakan Andersson an hour ago, at the U20 quarter final between Modo and Timrå. I suppose he was there to check out Elias Pettersson and others.

Anton Karlström of Modo scored an amazing goal. Not sure if he's been mentioned in any draft rankings at all, but just because Hakan must have seen his great goal I'll toss him in as a candidate for a late round pick

Hakan must be ecstatic that we will get a chance to draft a higher end Swede this year, one of Liljegren, Pettersson, or Andersson will surely be available and may very well be an option if we don't get a top-2 pick.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I've been bored and can't stop wondering if they'll draft a goalie. They have extra picks, but have also drafted a goalie the last 2 or 3 years. JVP and Filip Larsson seem like decent prospects, but I am still not sure they won't take a goalie in round 3. If someone like Skinner falls they might take a chance. Furthermore Howard looks very good right about now and they might be reconsidering expansion protection if they seriously believe that they can be back in the mix next season. There was a Finn who looked like an interesting prospect too, Ukko Pekka Luukonen. I could see them taking someone like that, but I guess time will tell.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I've been bored and can't stop wondering if they'll draft a goalie. They have extra picks, but have also drafted a goalie the last 2 or 3 years. JVP and Filip Larsson seem like decent prospects, but I am still not sure they won't take a goalie in round 3. If someone like Skinner falls they might take a chance. Furthermore Howard looks very good right about now and they might be reconsidering expansion protection if they seriously believe that they can be back in the mix next season. There was a Finn who looked like an interesting prospect too, Ukko Pekka Luukonen. I could see them taking someone like that, but I guess time will tell.
I think Wright said in an interview somewhere that he would like to pick a goalie every year. With 11 picks it's probably likely to happen again this year.

Is there anyone you like in Modo? Any thoughts on Oskar Pettersson?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What are people's thoughts on Glass? I think it was Bobby Mac who said he was one of the most consistent guys in the entire draft. He's moved up a bit in the collective rankings. He's grown on me like Mittelstadt has. The opposite is true for Vilardi. I'm souring a bit on him as a key player. Not sold on Tippett, Tolvanen or Necas for the team going forward either.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What are people's thoughts on Glass? I think it was Bobby Mac who said he was one of the most consistent guys in the entire draft. He's moved up a bit in the collective rankings. He's grown on me like Mittelstadt has. The opposite is true for Vilardi. I'm souring a bit on him as a key player. Not sold on Tippett, Tolvanen or Necas for the team going forward either.

Problem is, I think everyone else is thinking this too. Regarding Glass and Mittelstadt. They seem to be risers for everyone right now.

I'd be fine with Necas, but agree on Tolvanen. I have similar issues with Tolvanen and Andersson. Very wary of taking guys under 6 foot that are just average skaters in the first round. If I'm taking anyone like that it's someone like Lodnia in round 2 or 3.

Tippett is very talented, hard to not like him from a tools perspective. But I could see him being another Virtanen at the same time.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

they would have to expose mrazek to protect howard, no? I don't see that happening, despite mrazek's poor year.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

We have so many picks this year I'd be shocked if they didn't take a goalie with one. So long as it's third rounder or later that's fine with me. Goalies tend to be too difficult to project to use a late first or second on one IMO.

I don't see them exposing Mrazek given Howie's contract, injury history and inconsistency. With that being said I don't see Las Vegas seeing the need to blow that much cap space by acquiring Howard. There have to be comparable netminders available withouth the massive commitment in salary and term.

Holland can likely expose Howard and have zero concern about Howie becoming a Golden Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad