Prospect Info: 2017 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
I seriously doubt he is near NHL ready or that he would be any kind of a difference maker in 2017-18. He lacks strength, defensive game needs work and based on what I've heard from a few HIFK fans recently he has struggled since the WJC, which is probably at least partly due to fatigue.

Not surprised if they pick him, Pettersson is someone I could see HÃ¥kan pushing hard for.

If the Wings are lucky enough to pick 1st or 2nd I have a very hard time imagining a scenario where they don't pick Hischier. The Wings organization has scouted and selected from the Mooseheads before, Hischier has been very vocal about the player he models his game after, and his combination of speed, skill, creativity and explosiveness at the position of center is exactly what the Wings need to solidify the center position and, most importantly, put butts in seats at the LCA in very short order.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
If the Wings are lucky enough to pick 1st or 2nd I have a very hard time imagining a scenario where they don't pick Hischier. The Wings organization has scouted and selected from the Mooseheads before, Hischier has been very vocal about the player he models his game after, and his combination of speed, skill, creativity and explosiveness at the position of center is exactly what the Wings need to solidify the center position and, most importantly, put butts in seats at the LCA in very short order.
I agree Hischier would be fantastic, but picking at #1 or #2 doesn't look very likely right now. More like #6 or #7 assuming no lottery win.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I agree Hischier would be fantastic, but picking at #1 or #2 doesn't look very likely right now. More like #6 or #7 assuming no lottery win.

Patrick would be just as fantastic. His playoff MVP performance (while injured) shows what he's made of. That combination of size, skill, and fortitude is exactly what we need. And it's what it takes.

Those guys are fantasy prizes, though. For us we likely pick 7th, and the 6 players gone are Patrick Hischier Tippett Liljegren Mittelstadt Vilardi. Sigh. I'd be happy with Heiskanen at that point, just collecting some nice pieces while patiently waiting for Jack Hughes.

Last edited:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
If we're not drafting in the top 5, what do you guys think of Lias Andersson? I got to watch a few clips and you can tell the kid has so much poise and is very smart, he's not flashy like Pettersson, but does have very solid puck control and is also playing in the top league in Sweden.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Patrick would be just as fantastic. His playoff MVP performance (while injured) shows what he's made of. That combination of size, skill, and fortitude is exactly what we need. And it's what it takes.

Those guys are fantasy prizes, though. For us we likely pick 7th, and the 6 players gone are Patrick Hischier Tippett Liljegren Mittelstadt Vilardi. Sigh. I'd be happy with Heiskanen at that point, just collecting some nice pieces while patiently waiting for Jack Hughes.

Liljegren has been falling, if he finishes reasonably strong yet falls to us at #6 or so we could definitely start building with a base of him and Larkin.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
I had an absurd dream last night.
I don't know how but we had three picks in the 1st round:
#4 - Vilardi
#6 - Makar
#28 - Ruzicka

:laugh:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If we're not drafting in the top 5, what do you guys think of Lias Andersson? I got to watch a few clips and you can tell the kid has so much poise and is very smart, he's not flashy like Pettersson, but does have very solid puck control and is also playing in the top league in Sweden.
I like his game, but his skating and lack of pace concerns me a little. He didn't really have a ton of jump at the WJC, and he reminded me a lot of a rich man's Joakim Andersson: good hockey sense, good two-way play, a good amount of skill, but very risk-averse defensively and a bit slow of foot. I should emphasize that he's not nearly as bad in those problem areas as Andersson was, and a lot more skilled, but stylistically they seemed kind of similar to me. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, especially if he can find some more offense. The Wings are a really speedy, slightly reckless team, and a high end two-way center could be a nice addition.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Could see the Wings liking him for his complete game.

I like his game, but his skating and lack of pace concerns me a little. He didn't really have a ton of jump at the WJC, and he reminded me a lot of a rich man's Joakim Andersson: good hockey sense, good two-way play, a good amount of skill, but very risk-averse defensively and a bit slow of foot. I should emphasize that he's not nearly as bad in those problem areas as Andersson was, and a lot more skilled, but stylistically they seemed kind of similar to me. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, especially if he can find some more offense. The Wings are a really speedy, slightly reckless team, and a high end two-way center could be a nice addition.

I think one of the biggest differences is Lias has a much better shot.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

I'm not too sure of the Joakim Andersson comparison, Lias seems to have an elite IQ and his puck control seems very solid, also his shot is amazing. What you call lack of pace is actually patience as he sees the ice to make plays, something this team seriously lacks *cough**Larkin**cough*. Also I did not see any major issues with his skating, I mean he's not fast but he's not bad either.

Jul 30, 2005
I'm not too sure of the Joakim Andersson comparison, Lias seems to have an elite IQ and his puck control seems very solid, also his shot is amazing. What you call lack of pace is actually patience as he sees the ice to make plays, something this team seriously lacks *cough**Larkin**cough*. Also I did not see any major issues with his skating, I mean he's not fast but he's not bad either.
His skating might be more like Sheahan's, where it looks like he's a bad skater, but it's just because he's so damn content to stay in position, which means he's flat-footed a lot when he has to accelerate quickly. It's been a while since the WJC, but I definitely noticed his skating.

But I also didn't see elite IQ, either. The guy I saw was rarely involved in the offense. He would get the puck to Pettersson, and that was about the extent of it. He bailed on the zone early a lot to support his defense. Almost never went near the net.

I saw a good shot, but nothing like a Mantha or a Pulkkinen or something.

Maybe those games weren't really indicative of his play? I'd love for that to be the case.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Getting into the 10 range my attention would turn to Heiskanen, Makar or trading down a few spots and taking Suzuki and the bonus pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really wondering what is keeping Timmins from being a 1st rounder in this weaker draft? Thinking he will start to be a riser soon.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
His skating might be more like Sheahan's, where it looks like he's a bad skater, but it's just because he's so damn content to stay in position, which means he's flat-footed a lot when he has to accelerate quickly. It's been a while since the WJC, but I definitely noticed his skating.

But I also didn't see elite IQ, either. The guy I saw was rarely involved in the offense. He would get the puck to Pettersson, and that was about the extent of it. He bailed on the zone early a lot to support his defense. Almost never went near the net.

I saw a good shot, but nothing like a Mantha or a Pulkkinen or something.

Maybe those games weren't really indicative of his play? I'd love for that to be the case.

You really need to stop telling yourself this lie about Sheahan and his skating. Riley has legitimately heavy feet and a super short, inefficient stride. While he is hyper conservative, he has legitimate skating issues. I am guessing in your world no one ever has skating issues or can't overcome their skating issues. Thus, skating is no reason to pass on Vilardi :naughty:

Jul 30, 2005
You really need to stop telling yourself this lie about Sheahan and his skating. Riley has legitimately heavy feet and a super short, inefficient stride. While he is hyper conservative, he has legitimate skating issues. I am guessing in your world no one ever has skating issues or can't overcome their skating issues. Thus, skating is no reason to pass on Vilardi :naughty:
On the other hand, I bet you think Mantha is slow simply because he never puts a ton of effort into moving his feet. :P

But I don't even think Vilardi's skating is bad. He's not going to turn on the afterburners or anything, but he's more of an average skater than a bad one. It's unremarkable, and he keeps up with the play just fine. Not everyone has to be Larkin or AA. And given the way both of them outskate the play at times, maybe not everyone should be.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'd be ok with that...not a huge Makar fan per se.

If we can't get a Mittelstadt / Liljegren / Vilardi.....I'm seriously interested in Heiskanen I think he'd be a quality player. Makar would be a gamble, but maybe Suzuki is too intriguing for me if we're rolling dice. To put in perspective he's 10 months younger, 25 pounds heavier, and more likely to project at center at the pro level than Pettersson. He's 7 months younger than Hischier and putting up similar numbers. The difference there is the top gear. Smart player and excellent vision, he's a top 10 player in the draft I think.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
If we can't get a Mittelstadt / Liljegren / Vilardi.....I'm seriously interested in Heiskanen I think he'd be a quality player. Makar would be a gamble, but maybe Suzuki is too intriguing for me if we're rolling dice. To put in perspective he's 10 months younger, 25 pounds heavier, and more likely to project at center at the pro level than Pettersson. He's 7 months younger than Hischier and putting up similar numbers. The difference there is the top gear. Smart player and excellent vision, he's a top 10 player in the draft I think.

Oh don't get me wrong, I would love Suzuki. If Mittelstadt, Liljegren and Heiskanen are gone, I want the Wings to trade back.

Suzuki would be a great pick in that scenario. Or Cody Glass.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Oh don't get me wrong, I would love Suzuki. If Mittelstadt, Liljegren and Heiskanen are gone, I want the Wings to trade back.

Suzuki would be a great pick in that scenario. Or Cody Glass.
Yeah I think he's right up there for me if we pick further down around 10. I was just looking at the rest of the schedule, though. I kind of have to think points will be scarce from here on. I could see an 0-8-2 stretch like NJ just snapped.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I had an absurd dream last night.
I don't know how but we had three picks in the 1st round:
#4 - Vilardi
#6 - Makar
#28 - Ruzicka

:laugh:
Last night I dreamt I flew to Calgary for a corporate meeting that was an outdoor shinny match. (We do event ticket work there.)

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Yeah I think he's right up there for me if we pick further down around 10. I was just looking at the rest of the schedule, though. I kind of have to think points will be scarce from here on. I could see an 0-8-2 stretch like NJ just snapped.

I was hoping Suzuki would slide to the 2nd, but I don't feel he will anymore.

TBH, I'd like the Wings to lose more than they do this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad