Prospect Info: 2017 Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I completely forgot that Liljegren is an American citizen. Not that Swedes have a particularly hard time adapting, but it should be really easy for him.

“The next big step is for me to have more composure,” he admits. “I have the offensive game as my strength, although I don’t feel that I’m that bad defensively – even if it can seem like it sometimes. I tend to get overambitious, and that’s a question of maturity. It’s simply about not making plays where the potential upsides aren’t worth the high risks. That’s the advice I’ve gotten during the season as well; to start the games with more simple plays and let the more advanced moves come to me instead.”

That's a really mature comment. Good for him. That's exactly what's wrong with his game. Does knowing that help? I'm not sure, but it's positive.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Wow. That interview was surprisingly mature. He seems to understand where his game's at very well and respect what he needs to fix. Watching his play this year that's sort of surprising. He was way over- ambitious. I also liked that he didn't want to compare himself to Karlsson and such. He's a Swedish offensive D, but that doesn't make him Karlssona and it's good that he recognizes that. He has to play his game which can be great in its own right even if it's not all that similar to Karlsson.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd still love Lilje, I just don't think he'll make it to us. I have a strong feeling he's going #5.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wow. That interview was surprisingly mature. He seems to understand where his game's at very well and respect what he needs to fix. Watching his play this year that's sort of surprising. He was way over- ambitious. I also liked that he didn't want to compare himself to Karlsson and such. He's a Swedish offensive D, but that doesn't make him Karlssona and it's good that he recognizes that. He has to play his game which can be great in its own right even if it's not all that similar to Karlsson.

Is he fluent in English? I was reading the article thinking "is this a translation and the writer just put a sheen on the syntax to make him sound great or is he really this composed and introspective?"

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Is he fluent in English? I was reading the article thinking "is this a translation and the writer just put a sheen on the syntax to make him sound great or is he really this composed and introspective?"

A buddy of mine is Swedish and according to him they learn English in grade school.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
A buddy of mine is Swedish and according to him they learn English in grade school.

Yeah, I have several friends from Europe (one from Sweden specifically) and South America who had mandatory English and none of them sounded as eloquent in their 20s as this kid does at 18...

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He's very good but in the interviews I've seen you can hear that he's still got a "Swedish dialect". So not like Nylander but still very good. I would guess that his American dad probably speaks Swedish too.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

The interview was probably made in Swedish originally as the author has a Swedish name. It's not uncommon for Swedish journalists to contribute to English hockey sites.

Heck, there was something about a kindergarten speaking English only the other week. The kids couldn't understand a thing. :laugh: But yeah, 3rd grade at the latest(was 4th grade when I was a kid).

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
The Swedish education system is rather more fit for purpose than that of the US and UK, and language learning is highly prioritised. Every Swedish person I've met is multi-lingual, and my Swedish ex girlfriend is probably the most eloquent person in English I've ever met, as well as being fluent in Italian and pretty fluent in French, Spanish, German, and to a lesser extent Japanese and Hungarian.

Scandinavians, if exposed early enough, are also really good at picking up accents. I'd be very surprised if some of the Swedish draftees don't already have better English than half the North American prospects....not to mention the fact that those learning a language as other than mother tongue tend to learn greater grammatical exactitude and specificity of vocab

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
And then of course you have people from the magical elf lands of northern scandinavia like Homer who never quite get it!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

nhl scouts’ comments

nov. 2016 – he’s a first rounder. No real flaws in his game….such a smart player.

Feb. 7, 2017 – in most drafts he’s not a prototypical top 20 guy…more like 20-30, but in this draft he’s top 20 for sure.

May 11, 2017 – he has a great combo of puck skill, hockey sense and grit. He’s a responsible 200-foot player with second-line upside.

May 17, 2017 – i can’t say he shouldn’t be top ten. He’s an intelligent player. He’s a really good two-way player with some skill, a dependable guy. He’s like a poor man’s hischier almost…so..everything’s good about him. There’s some bigger guys around the top ten that guys maybe prefer, but i don’t know where you go wrong with a guy like this. He’s a top 9 guy all day, and i could see him morph into a second-line center…so…i’m not saying it’s wrong to have him top ten. I really like him. I don’t know what i’d do if i was picking eight…i honestly don’t know. I’d try to see who was available. It’s an organizational decision when you’re picking in that top ten. We all know that he’s a good hockey player…but does the team need to get a bit bigger? There are some guys in that range who are a little bit bigger but this guy…you don’t have to reach him anything he already knows how to play.

Thomas just plays it right…he’s always in the right place, on the right side of the puck. He doesn’t manhandle anybody but he gets up under people and he steals pucks, doesn’t let guys gt by him..he can turn pucks back up ice, carry it. He’s got all the options, he can shoot he can pass. Very smart very talented. I don’t see him being very far off from playing. He may only need another year of junior. He’s an excellent hockey player…there’s not a lot of holes in his game. I know where he started on the depth chart and where he was at the end. They tend to go with the veterans in london, and he was putting thomas in a lot of important situations. He’s really reliable, and hunter put him in a lot of situations where he had to trust the guy…he was the guy. He’s so responsible to a fault almost that he may not get 90-100 points next season..he doesn’t shoot very much. He didn’t play a lot of powerplay early.

He’s really grounded, didn’t come in with a big ego. Probably passed off more than he should have, they’re going to make him shoot more in situations, get a little selfish. He could go 7 to 15..i can’t imagine he’s there at 15…but there’s so many guys this year all clustered together. There is no guy you can say is better than the other definitively. You just have to try to figure out who has more projection. Sometimes guys are already good…and don’t project to be much better. That’s why you can argue them all.

May 16, 2017 – i love him. I think there’s tons of upside, elite hockey sense as well. For dale hunter to play a young player like that show how he trusts him. He’s going to be a helluva player…i think he has bo horvat possibility. I thought he was an all star this year. And a great person…great kid. His granddad is 6-4..so he may grow a bit too.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
So the same as everyone else available at 9.

Guys like Pettersson and Lilegren seem to have higher ceiling (1st line/pairing) while also having lower floors.

So do we take a guy who's pretty much going to give us a 3rd line guy with 2nd line ceiling, or do we shoot for the boom/bust guy?

Considering what we have from an organizational standpoint, I'm aiming for the high ceiling guy. Realistically, what does another 2nd liner do for us?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2nd line ceiling.

There was an also another set of comments where they said "there's ton of upside" and "elite hockey sense".

Also there was an article over the summer where some NHL scouts said they weren't sure if the #1 prospect in this draft was more than a #2 center. So let's just keep things in perspective a bit.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I would imagine we have the assets to jump from 8th to 3rd. It doesnt appear to be that large a drop for Dallas. IF we wanted to go that way. I'd imagine Nyquist + 8th might get you 3rd. Perhaps with a 2nd as well.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I would imagine we have the assets to jump from 8th to 3rd. It doesnt appear to be that large a drop for Dallas. IF we wanted to go that way. I'd imagine Nyquist + 8th might get you 3rd. Perhaps with a 2nd as well.

How do we jump to 8 from 9, though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad