OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Check out Allen's statistics vs teams that aren't complete garbage.

His stats are abysmal and he has no reason being in the discussion for the top overall pick. If he goes #1 he'll be the biggest bust since Jamarcus Russell

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Needed a recent example

Aaron-Rodgers-Grape-Crush.jpg

Reactions: Devils Dominion

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Something just seems so weird about this massive late push that will put Mayfield in Cleveland. I just can't put my finger on it but I doubt Dorsey was teasing Darnold only to go for Mayfield who he was settled on all along. Dorsey was just trolling for the sake of being a troll? Nah. Because if you're number one and can take whoever you want there's not point in playing this little game.

There have been tons of drafts where 1 was settled weeks, if not months in advance. And the reason for this is that you want your player getting acclimated as soon as possible with NFL life and the new franchise. So they strung Darnold all along until the final 24 hours or so? For what?

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think they're still trying to force someone's hand to try and sway the Giants with a package they can't refuse. By doing so, the top 3 picks end up being QBs and Barkley falls into Cleveland's lap at #4.

That said, I don't see the Giants trading down at all. But you never know how desperate a team might be to get a QB they desire.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think they're still trying to force someone's hand to try and sway the Giants with a package they can't refuse. By doing so, the top 3 picks end up being QBs and Barkley falls into Cleveland's lap at #4.

That said, I don't see the Giants trading down at all. But you never know how desperate a team might be to get a QB they desire.

Or trying to force the Jets to trade up again since they think we're that into Mayfield we would. I'm not gonna believe they'll pick Mayfield till I see Goodell announce it, or Adam Schefter.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Or trying to force the Jets to trade up again since they think we're that into Mayfield we would. I'm not gonna believe they'll pick Mayfield till I see Goodell announce it, or Adam Schefter.

I wonder if it was Darnold all the way and Haslam just fell in love with Mayfield and made the call, overruling everybody. I don't think that's all that far fetched

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wonder if it was Darnold all the way and Haslam just fell in love with Mayfield and made the call, overruling everybody. I don't think that's all that far fetched

With the Browns that would NOT be farfetched :laugh:

If that happened and I was Dorsey I'd be handing in my resignation, just like Ernie Accorsi did when Irsay traded John Elway on him in Baltimore.

Schefter did report on it earlier this morning

Not quite the same as a full confirmation although that's as close as anyone'll get to one I suppose.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The Jets did put out a counter story yesterday saying that there is momentum for Rosen building in their halls, which sort of told Cleveland to go ahead and pick Baker.

It's a game of chicken

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
With the Browns that would NOT be farfetched :laugh:

If that happened and I was Dorsey I'd be handing in my resignation, just like Ernie Accorsi did when Irsay traded John Elway on him in Baltimore.

I would too.

Something is just too odd here. What the Browns are doing isn't done unless you're pulling a powerplay and trying to squeeze the Jets up to 1. The Jets have so far called their bluff.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would too.

Something is just too odd here. What the Browns are doing isn't done unless you're pulling a powerplay and trying to squeeze the Jets up to 1. The Jets have so far called their bluff.

The thing that doesn't make sense about the whole trading up to spook the Jets theme is WHY...it's not like the Jets are anti-Darnold, they probably never thought Darnold would get to them anyway. Unless the belief is the Jets are set on either Darnold or Mayfield and don't want the other two which I guess I could see.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
This is the most fun I've had with the draft in a long while.

Facebook gave me a cruel reminder earlier today that I was thrilled with the Vernon Gholston pick. That comment aged well. :laugh:

Reactions: tr83

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I wonder who's really getting duped here. You don't hear a peep about any worry or panic or even disappointment from within the Jets organization due to Mayfield slipping away.

Not anywhere. I'm beginning to think they ran the biggest smokescreen of them all.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Taking the temperature of twitter the majority of Browns fans are not pleased with this and want Darnold.

Also appears the late change was spurred by Kevin Costner uncovering that nobody came to Sam Darnold's birthday.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Taking the temperature of twitter the majority of Browns fans are not pleased with this and want Darnold.

Also appears the late change was spurred by Kevin Costner uncovering that nobody came to Sam Darnold's birthday.

Letting fans make the pick is usually a bad idea in the NFL

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Mayfield supposedly went back on doing an NFL live draft shot when he gets selected since it looks like he's going to the Browns.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I’m amazed they took Baker 1.

If we luck into Darnold I’ll be stunned. Still prefer Rosen myself because I think he’s more pro ready but Darnold has the greatest potential.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'm conflicted. Darnold or Rosen. Darnold or Rosen. Here's what I expect. I expect the Jets to
take the next Ken O'Brien.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad