Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That was the thinking of the past. Be average enough to make the playoffs and get smoked in the 1st round. No thanks. I'd rather they lose until there's enough talent drafted to build a consistent contender. I've seen enough and spent enough money on a boring product who's goal is to be average. I won't take free tickets to see that again.
I agree it's dumb. But is undeniably more likely to win more games. Even if very few playoff games. Which is futile. Our rebuild is failing. Duclair gone, Domi next, Strome AWOL. Even Keller fell off a cliff after a third of a season. We can't develop players. It's a nightmare.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Domi + for Brassard?

I like Howden. Don't think he's a 1C but as a 2/3 I like him. He's Strome insurance.

That's a big NO from me. Brassard is 30 and will be done when we are about to contend.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree it's dumb. But is undeniably more likely to win more games. Even if very few playoff games. Which is futile. Our rebuild is failing. Duclair gone, Domi next, Strome AWOL. Even Keller fell off a cliff after a third of a season. We can't develop players. It's a nightmare.

Are you blaming the organization for Duke's and Keller's struggles?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think everyone needs to chill. We traded Duclair. We are being patient with Strome (I do think Morgan is overly impatient with this kid as he doesn’t seem to think he’s going to be a player at all). Domi has had a challenging season and it doesn’t sound like we are making a panic move. Keller hitting the wall was to be expected. He had never played more than 40 games in a season so u think after 5 extended road trips that he would hit a wall. So I get the diasappointmnent on Duclair but I do hope that Chayka’s moves have built up enough goodwill that you let things unfold before panicking. I’m intrigued by how this off season plays out. I don’t expect anything major until then. Unless you think a 3rd for Richardson is a game changer. That’s going to be our deadline. A lot of talk that leads up to draft weekend.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think everyone needs to chill. We traded Duclair. We are being patient with Strome (I do think Morgan is overly impatient with this kid as he doesn’t seem to think he’s going to be a player at all). Domi has had a challenging season and it doesn’t sound like we are making a panic move. Keller hitting the wall was to be expected. He had never played more than 40 games in a season so u think after 5 extended road trips that he would hit a wall. So I get the diasappointmnent on Duclair but I do hope that Chayka’s moves have built up enough goodwill that you let things unfold before panicking. I’m intrigued by how this off season plays out. I don’t expect anything major until then. Unless you think a 3rd for Richardson is a game changer. That’s going to be our deadline. A lot of talk that leads up to draft weekend.
I agree, we can't afford to panic. There better be a lot of pressure on everyone involved to come out of the gate hot next year. I hope AB hires a president who gives every one a detailed message of what is expected to keep their job. Every player should be given a kick in the ass as they leave their exit meeting telling them they better come to training camp and do the same.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I am curious on Hjarlmarsson. Does he a winner of 3 cups want anything to do with a rebuild / centrepiece of a wooing effort to re-sign OEL. If he is behind the scenes demanding out we could see a deal and the return will be better than what we gave up originally.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I agree, we can't afford to panic. There better be a lot of pressure on everyone involved to come out of the gate hot next year. I hope AB hires a president who gives every one a detailed message of what is expected to keep their job. Every player should be given a kick in the ass as they leave their exit meeting telling them they better come to training camp and do the same.

Agreed. Our expectations were higher. I even said bottom 10 finish, closer to 7 or so. Not dead f***ing last.

The losing has to stop. If you move a crappy product from west to east valley, it still won’t sell out night after night. Trading away fan favorites will not help.

Expectations are higher next season. A dead last finish again will be unacceptable.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Stars need wingers. Rieder is really the only one that makes sense. Would fit well with Hitch too.

rt

May 13, 2004
The easy answer would be the MIN 2nd, which will be a late 2nd. Rieder himself is worth about that much. I'd bet the Islanders would happily give us the Calgary 2nd for Rieder. So is Honka worth two late 2nds? I think probably he is. We could really use another RHS PP option. I could see Hjalmarsson as RD on PK1 and Demers as RD on PK2. Then Demers as RD on PP1 and Honka as RD on PP2. Roll OEL with Demers and Goligoski with Hjalmarsson for the vast majority of 5v5 and shelter the crap out of Chychrun and Honka. :dunno:

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
I hope I'm wrong, but I believe we would be fortunate to receive a 2nd for Rieder. I can't imagine other teams' scouts have been impressed with any of his play.

rt

May 13, 2004
I hope I'm wrong, but I believe we would be fortunate to receive a 2nd for Rieder. I can't imagine other teams' scouts have been impressed with any of his play.
There are bubble teams with terrible PKs. Especially PKs that have fallen off a cliff in the last few months. Islanders stand out. Jackets too. He's young, cheap, has been good until this mess of a season, and is good on the PK. I see a late 2nd for sure. Especially from the Islanders who have two of them.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Whacky Willy's Crazy Car Yard:

Domi to OTT for Brassard (rebuild on the fly for OTT)

Hamilton+5th to SJS for Boedker+2nd (SJS only shot at dumping that contract)

Strome+Rieder+2nd+Schenn
To CAR for Faulk/Pesce+A.Miller+P.Samuelsson (CAR is drowning in D and need that 1C of the future - this is a long shot - haha - we get a couple of AHL guys for Tucson)

Keller-Brassard-Fischer
Perlini-Stepan-Boedker
Martinook-Dvorak-Panik
Cousins-Richardson-Archi
Rinaldo

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Goligoski-Faulk/Pesce
Chychrun-Demers
Connauton

Raanta
Wedgie

You had me at Faulk

rt

May 13, 2004
I think Stars fans would rightly argue they need a winger but they've already got a bunch that are Rieder-esque. That said, he's RFA, should be a really good fit, a good bet to get his groove back in Dallas, would be a Hitchcock dream, and Honka is having trouble carving out a spot, and it won't get any easier with Heiskanen on the way next season. It's a deal I could see happening, and Stars fans hating. It's not a deal I could see Stars fans liking as a proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad