Prospect Info: 2017-2018 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Benson looks good. And a few of our junior guys look pretty alright but...what happens once they go past there? Do we just draft guys that peak early or are we just very good at destroying careers.

Jones who was very good his last few years is heavily struggling in the AHL.

Benson, Maksimov and Safin all 3 look like solid pro prospects. I haven't seen a minute of AHL action this season, but I suspect that 1 of Bear, Mantha and Jones should amount to something. I for one am a big Mantha fan based on what I've seen of him. Yamamoto's regression really sucks but I suspect that he should snap out of it at some point. This upcoming draft will be a big one especially if we become sellers and add a few more higher picks.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Benson, Maksimov and Safin all 3 look like solid pro prospects. I haven't seen a minute of AHL action this season, but I suspect that 1 of Bear, Mantha and Jones should amount to something. I for one am a big Mantha fan based on what I've seen of him. Yamamoto's regression really sucks but I suspect that he should snap out of it at some point. This upcoming draft will be a big one especially if we become sellers and add a few more higher picks.
Mantha is a heavy work in progress. Can't tell with Bear due to him missing so much time. Jones looks like a mess from what I have seen of him.

I hope Benson, Safin and Maksimov make the pros but there is no guarantee and I don't know if I trust our farms development at all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Mantha is a heavy work in progress. Can't tell with Bear due to him missing so much time. Jones looks like a mess from what I have seen of him.

I hope Benson, Safin and Maksimov make the pros but there is no guarantee and I don't know if I trust our farms development at all.

I think that if Mantha gets quicker that he'll be a NHLer. Far too early to write Jones off.

The farm team and the pro scouting needs to be gone over with a fine toothed comb this summer.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think that if Mantha gets quicker that he'll be a NHLer. Far too early to write Jones off.

The farm team and the pro scouting needs to be gone over with a fine toothed comb this summer.

Jones, according to reports, has started to figure it out. He was horrible to start the season but has turned a corner lately.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jones, according to reports, has started to figure it out. He was horrible to start the season but has turned a corner lately.

That's good to hear. I'm giving him until at least next season before I become concerned with him.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think the Jets are a good instance of good drafting and development. Good young NHL team, incredible AHL team and lots of good prospects coming up.

Then there is us who have been bad for a decade and we have a failing NHL team, a really bad AHL team as well and maybe finally a couple prospects that might be good coming up.

What is this org doing so wrong with our picks and prospects?

It's too early to judge the current scouting staff, but so far they seem to be doing OK.

The old scouting staff took way too many terrible goaltenders and big, slow coke machines. Don't get me started on all of the overage BCHL guys and awful picks from the Quebec league.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I think Maksimov is the prospect I'm most excited by. He's 6'2, likes to shoot the puck (he averages over 4 shots a game), leads his team in points-per-game, and he has 23 goals in 33 games (on pace for 47 goals in a 68 game season). He's also been really hot of late, putting up 9 points in his last 5 games - I'm impressed that he's not sulking after getting cut from the Russian junior team.

On the surface, he's exactly the kind of winger we need to pair up with McDavid and Draisaitl. Hopefully he develops into what Slepyshev was supposed to be. Long-term, we really need some young and cheap wingers in order to help us with our cap issues.

Reactions: crackdown44

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Dylan Wells (OTL 14-14-3) made 35 saves but the Petes couldn't find a home on the Rangers 5-4 in OT.
Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League
Jan. 1/18 – KIT (5) – PBO (4) – OT – Ontario Hockey League

Cameron Hebig had an assist, 7 shots, went 9/16 in faceoffs and was -2, as the Blades left more than a paper cut on the Broncos 4-2.
WHL Network
HIGHLIGHTS: Blades (4) Broncos (2) – Saskatoon Blades

Tyler Benson had no points, 3 shots, lost 2 faceoffs and was -2, as the Giants plucked the Cougars out of their vast forest of hair with tweezers 4-3 in OT.
WHL Network
Highlights: Giants 4 Cougars 3 OT (Jan 1) - Vancouver Giants

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Filip Berglund signed an extension in Europe. Hopefully he has a NHL out clause. When do we hold his rights until?

Elite Prospects - Hockey Players, Stats and Transactions

Via the NHL CBA

Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if
a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North
America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation
for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his
selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to
such Player to retain such rights.

That would be June 1, 2020 by my count.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Watching the junior semi and hoping for a Sweden 5-4 win with Yamamoto getting four goals.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
What the hell is up with Yamamoto? Guy looks absolutely horrible for the US

Best he looked was in the last 5 minutes with the team down 4-0.

Set up a goal and almost another. Finally looked like the player I expected to watch. Too little too late of course.

Hopefully he's alright after that slash. Didn't look like much but he was obviously in a lot of pain getting helped off the ice.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Best he looked was in the last 5 minutes with the team down 4-0.

Set up a goal and almost another. Finally looked like the player I expected to watch. Too little too late of course.

Hopefully he's alright after that slash. Didn't look like much but he was obviously in a lot of pain getting helped off the ice.

Looking good when his team is down big late in a game? Freak injury? Kid was clearly born to be an Oiler.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I actually thought Yamamoto looked pretty good in the preceding two games before today, at least he was looking more like the guy we saw during training camp. I didn't see much of today's game so I can't comment, but from what little I saw in the 2nd period it looked like a lot of US players were suffering from tight collars. That 3 on 0 where Middlestadt decided to not use his linemates and tried to score on his own and failed, was a major turning point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad