2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I would be completely fine with no GM once the deadline is done.

Go to the draft, let the scouts make the picks.

Go into next year with prospects replacing Sedins and Vanek if the Sedins don't want to come back for cheap.

It might well be less damaging to have no GM and simply to do nothing but the draft for 12 months.

100% agreed. No free agents signed, no dumb trades. Perfect off season.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Not expecting Dim Jim and his cronies to be 100% perfect with 1st round picks.

But 1 out of 4 is just PATHETIC, especially consider the alternative picks were so obvious most of the guys on this board were able to recognize them well before the draft took place.

Of course this could be overlooked somewhat, had Dim Jim been half decent at any other aspect of his job.

1 out of 4? He's had five first rounders so far. McCann doesn't look like a bad pick where he was taken. Boeser is a gift from the heavens and Pettersson looks like he was probably something of a gift at #5.

Look at picks 1-7 in the Virtanen draft. Every one of those teams except the Oilers would rather have taken Ehlers or Nylander, now that everyone knows how things have turned out. It's not that easy.

Drafting is not the problem. The rest of it is the problem.

Reactions: Numba9 and sting101

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
1 out of 4? He's had five first rounders so far. McCann doesn't look like a bad pick where he was taken. Boeser is a gift from the heavens and Pettersson looks like he was probably something of a gift at #5.

Look at picks 1-7 in the Virtanen draft. Every one of those teams except the Oilers would rather have taken Ehlers or Nylander, now that everyone knows how things have turned out. It's not that easy.

BB was great

The rest:
JV vs Nylander/Ehlers
McCann vs Pastrnak
OJ vs Tkachuk

Not counting Pettersson into it because I think he's still a question mark.

I'm not making this up either, those alternative choices were almost universally recognized by a bunch of random internet dwellers to be superior choices compare with Benning's picks.

Drafting very much is a problem. You can come up with a thousand excuses but the bottom line is, had Benning not drafted like a blind lunatic, we would have a VERY repectable top line that will be 10X more exciting and competitive than the garbage we have now.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I don't rally care about drafting and its become a bit of an annoying red herring that we keep having to come back to because of the ButGillis crowd, but of all the stupid shit he's done, it's hard to argue that any single move would change the franchise's current standing more than had we simply taken ehlers instead of Virtanen.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I have absolutely nothing other than a hunch to base this on but I sometimes wonder if Linden is even happy about his decision to return to hockey on the management side of things.

He was always such a great interview on 1040 talking about all things sports. He was loving life, cycling all over the world, opening his own chain of gyms, going on about making sausages and wine with the Father-in-Law..... he was always a pretty relaxed dude and was always smiling.

He now looks too serious and miserable all of the time... kind of like what Gillis started to look like near the end. He's not an idiot and must know he's tarnishing his rep. in Vancouver. Can't really be a good thing for his gyms either.

He doesn't want to be remembered as a quitter; but I wouldn't be shocked if he just got out and said this isn't for me.

Probably sounds naive on my part... just something I think about every time I see his doom and gloom face.

Yeah I said this earlier, but it turned out to be kind of a wierd situation for Linden. Following his NHL career Linden probably expected to get a lower level job within the Canucks and work his way up, same way guys like Yzerman, Sakic, or Francis did. Except that's when we hired Gillis, and Gillis apparently didn't want to work with Linden. So when Gillis is gone Linden finally gets his job with the Canucks... except he's promoted straight to the top being put in charge of the guys you'd normally be working under.

Reactions: sting101

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I don't rally care about drafting and its become a bit of an annoying red herring that we keep having to come back to because of the ButGillis crowd, but of all the stupid **** he's done, it's hard to argue that any single move would change the franchise's current standing more than had we simply taken ehlers instead of Virtanen.

How would the direction of the franchise have changed if they'd taken anybody but Boeser at #23? I'd rather have Boeser than Ehlers.

Spare me the ButGillis comment as I have no interest in that theme. Just pointing out that drafting isn't nearly as easy as some people are trying to make it out to be. Had the same discussion elsewhere regarding non-Canuck draft picks.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
How would the direction of the franchise have changed if they'd taken anybody but Boeser at #23? I'd rather have Boeser than Ehlers.

Spare me the ButGillis comment as I have no interest in that theme. Just pointing out that drafting isn't nearly as easy as some people are trying to make it out to be. Had the same discussion elsewhere regarding non-Canuck draft picks.

I mean, drafting is pretty much random and I really don't care that much. The ButGillis comment wasn't directed at you but just the general frustration of this thread constantly having to come back to this tired topic instead of it being about how management is at managing.

But the impact of the Virtanen blunder was arguably greater than all of his other blunders, is my only point. And it was a blunder, because everyone had Ehlers ahead of Virtanen at the time.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

outside of Virtanen it has been decent. Not that I give Benning that much credit for it, he just happened to be occupying the GM chair at the time good things happened.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
[MOD]

This team, having made no trades or free agent signings since 2014, would be in better shape today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
This team, having made no trades or free agent signings since 2014, would be in better shape today.

try 2017 where the ownership finally allowed benning to do a full rebuild after the feb 2017 all star game.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
[MOD]

owners were greedy and derpy.

so far benning has done a great job AFTER the 2017 all star game. allowed him to do whatever he wants instead of being told what to do.

who do u think pays for the eriksson crappy contract? certainly not benning.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

so far benning has done a great job AFTER the 2017 all star game. allowed him to do whatever he wants instead of being told what to do.

If Benning is rebuilding, he should avoiding bringing in shit players like Gagner and Del Zotto, and get more draft picks.

But no, he's doing the opposite.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
[MOD]

Well technically that’s unknowable since we haven’t had a chance to do the job. But it’s also irrelevant since doing better than a bunch of the team’s fans is WAAAAAAAAY below the threshold that should be set for the GM of an NHL club. It’s like saying the worst surgeon in the world is still a better doctor than his patient. That’s not really a useful standard to use or expect.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
try 2017 where the ownership finally allowed benning to do a full rebuild after the feb 2017 all star game .
Ya before that Aquilini was facilitating all trades and going town to town scouting. Lol

Aqulini told him to rebuild the day he signed but Benning refused and said he could turn this team around quick

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009

Even playing this game by your desperate rules:
-3x3.15 to Gagner
-2x3 to MDZ
-Gudbranson still a Canuck
-Nic Dowd is here for some reason?

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Ya before that Aquilini was facilitating all trades and going town to town scouting. Lol

Aqulini told him to rebuild the day he signed but Benning refused and said he could turn this team around quick

nah thats not what i heard...aquilini wanted a constant re-tool on the fly.

he fired gillis when he wanted to rebuild completely and brought him benning, to get the job..."yes sir, i think i can re-tool as you wish."

so benning had to play the game a bit ...until we got to see the real benning after the 2017 all star game.

but yes the del zotto and gagner are minor contracts, nothing earth shattering considering 14 mil is off the books next year.

im gonna be patient and give him a couple years see what he can really do on his own rebuild method.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Even playing this game by your desperate rules:
-3x3.15 to Gagner
-2x3 to MDZ
-Gudbranson still a Canuck
-Nic Dowd is here for some reason?

nic dowd was acquired because we were hit by massive injuries..

gudbranson signed a one year contract after a wrist plagued injury the previous year. also his girlfriend got a job at the dental place so thats also another reason.

try again, if u knew anything.

lets just forget what he got for hansen and burrows....and what he couldve gotten for edler if he waived his damn contract.

lets just forget what he did on the drafting last summer.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

I agree with that, but I also think I would take Ehlers and one of Konecny or Roslovic (for example) over Boeser and Virtanen. I think the right frame of analysis is considering both picks together.

This is right - anyone trying to portray the team's drafting under Benning as bad is probably wrong. But it also hasn't been great. And the only thing people who support this management group have really been able to point to as support for Benning over the past several years is that his drafting genius will overcome all of his other shortfalls, which are basically every other aspect of being a GM. I think when people say the team's drafting has been bad, implicitly they mean relative to those inflated expectations.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

he fired gillis when he wanted to rebuild completely and brought him benning, to get the job..."yes sir, i think i can re-tool as you wish."

so benning had to play the game a bit ...until we got to see the real benning after the 2017 all star game.

but yes the del zotto and gagner are minor contracts, nothing earth shattering considering 14 mil is off the books next year.

im gonna be patient and give him a couple years see what he can really do on his own rebuild method.
He’s prob not going to be around to see it through from what I’ve heard. Dad is angry about the bottom line

Reactions: Canadian Club

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
He’s prob not going to be around to see it through from what I’ve heard. Dad is angry about the bottom line

guarantee he will be around considering the drafting he's given us were way better than any canuck gm has done in the previous 20 years.

he's building us a future and that starts with the draft.

deal with it.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
guarantee he will be around considering the drafting he's given us were way better than any canuck gm has done in the previous 20 years.

deal with it.

Starting with drafting JV, I see...

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

deal with it.
I’m not sure if math is your strong suit but in the last 20 years we drafted a Hart Trophy Winner, a Lindsay winner, 2 art Ross Trophy winners, a selke winnner.

You should prob deal with reality.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017

"EVERYTHING BAD WAS AQUILINI AND EVERYTHING GOOD WAS BENNING I SWEAR GUYS I "HEARD" THAT WAS THE CASE"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad