2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm pumped too. I might miss some of the first period, but I should be able to see the rest.

Thank you for the write up, Blanick. My favorite part of this site is reading player opinions from people who know the game.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Little nugget buried in Lou Korac's blog today:

Barret Jackman, who will be coaching the team along with Tulsa Oilers coach Rob Murray

http://lkorac10.blogspot.com/2017/09/blues-prospects-focused-on-traverse-city.html

Murray won the ECHL championships with the Alaska Aces a few years back, and was a coach for the P-Bruins before that. As a player, it looks like he was mostly an AHL tough-guy for most of his career. Not a bad choice while the NHL guys get their ducks in a row.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Waiting for Lou to get a spot with the athletic before I purchase a subscription.

Just kidding. I already did. Some fantastic stuff on there. It's 42$ right now if you use the 30% link in JRs coming out article.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
$42 bucks for a year was cheap enough for a shot in the dark. Discount is permanent too

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Waiting for Lou to get a spot with the athletic before I purchase a subscription.

Just kidding. I already did. Some fantastic stuff on there. It's 42$ right now if you use the 30% link in JRs coming out article.

Most promising thing to happen in hockey media in some time. Hope it works for them.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Ok to put down some more detailed thoughts. I enjoyed watching this much more than the prospects camp because this was more game drill based and less of a talent showcase.

Thomas was the best player out there today. Yes, better than Walman. Every time I see this kid he just seems better and better to me. His ability to skate into traffic, head up all the way and find a seam to hit a teammate with beaut saucer passes is something special. I don't think this kid will ever score 30 goals but he might finally be the true playmaker we have long been looking for.

Thompson. People might remember my prospects camp review, where I tore into him a little bit for being "too perimeter." Well today was the opposite. He was attacking the middle of the ice and using his body well during board play. Complete 180 from how he played in prospect camp. Really glad to see this from him.

Kyrou and Walman were right up there with the best in the practice. It was more of the same from them. They shined in nearly every drill. Walman did have my highlight of the practice though. On a drill where the puck was sent across the ice at center ice with two players going after and battling for it. One would come out and charge the net with the other defending on his side/back. Walman was defending on the drill and right as Vannelli went to shoot he lifted his stick and stole the puck skating down to the other end on a breakaway. The steal was nice but the smirk and quick little "hahaha" Walman gave Vannelli as he skated away was ****ing hilarious.:laugh:

Speaking of Vannelli, I see no NHL future for this kid. He just look flat out bad at times out there. Handling the puck like a grenade and messing up defensive drills time and time again.

As I said earlier Kostin seemed just a little off. I think missing all that time has his timing off just a bit. You could see the skill there for sure but he would hold onto the puck just a little to long at times while looking for the right play.

Toropchenko is a player that I am going to continue to be high on. A guy that big shouldn't be able to skate that well. He also plays like a bull in a china shop which is very appealing. The one downside is his stickhandling was a bit poor today. He lost the puck during a couple of different drills.

Mikkola is a workhorse. I think this kid has an NHL future. He is a guy who will make up a lack of skill with sheer willpower.

The biggest surprise reward belongs to Filip Helt. I am not sure if he just ate his Wheaties this morning but holy **** was this kid everywhere. He was in on every drill, playing with an edge and determination that dwarfed just about everyone else on the ice. This kid was out to be noticed today and he certainly drew a considerable amount of attention, especially when you take into account some of the prospects he was out there with today.

Thanks for the detailed report. Things are getting real! Can't wait for the season to start.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Lineup looks to be have posted on twitter. Line combos don't really matter all that much as I'm sure they'll be rearranged often but currently Bleackley-Thomas-Kostin is the top line. Scratches being some of the invites including Allen and McCool.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm fine that JR isn't doing full time job for covering Blues. Guy had quite brown tongue. He write what Blues coach wanted and generally didn't criticize anything of Blues. If he open ups does his opinion now under different job then I'm fine, but I guess that he was untied his hands earlier job?

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I'm fine that JR isn't doing full time job for covering Blues. Guy had quite brown tongue. He write what Blues coach wanted and generally didn't criticize anything of Blues. If he open ups does his opinion now under different job then I'm fine, but I guess that he was untied his hands earlier job?

That's precisely why he left the STLPD. So he can write opinion pieces and more interesting stories than write about the games and little dink and dunk articles that are all filler and have a character limit. A monkey can do those articles. Now we get to see more stuff like what he did each year in the big spread they do for each season but he will do it year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad