2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
For those of you who have watched a lot of Walman, how does his game compare to Dunn's game? Skating, passing, shot, hockey IQ/vision? Thanks for your thoughts!

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
For those of you who have watched a lot of Walman, how does his game compare to Dunn's game? Skating, passing, shot, hockey IQ/vision? Thanks for your thoughts!

Overall, I have him just a bit behind Dunn.

In terms of offensive sense/IQ, that goes to Dunn. Dunn is very good there whereas I’d say Walman is a bit above average. One thing I’ll note is that Walman didn’t start playing defense until his draft year so he’s come a long way in learning the finer points of the position in a relatively short period of time. But there are also times where it seems pretty evident that he’s still learning the D position. He needs to learn when to choose his spots better still. Should come with more pro experience.

Walman has by far the better shot. An absolute rocket and he’s very good with it and good with one-timers.

Both are very good skaters. I’d give a slight edge to Walman but both are near elite with their edgework.

Walman seems to be a little better in the corners and in front of the net but neither will be mistaken for shutdown stalwarts out there.

Dunn is the better passer and a little better at transitioning the puck.

All in all, they’re pretty close IMO and Walman has some areas where he’s better but Dunn gets the nod in hockey IQ so I think that will result in him keeping the edge between the two overall.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Overall, I have him just a bit behind Dunn.

In terms of offensive sense/IQ, that goes to Dunn. Dunn is very good there whereas I’d say Walman is a bit above average. One thing I’ll note is that Walman didn’t start playing defense until his draft year so he’s come a long way in learning the finer points of the position in a relatively short period of time. But there are also times where it seems pretty evident that he’s still learning the D position. He needs to learn when to choose his spots better still. Should come with more pro experience.

Walman has by far the better shot. An absolute rocket and he’s very good with it and good with one-timers.

Both are very good skaters. I’d give a slight edge to Walman but both are near elite with their edgework.

Walman seems to be a little better in the corners and in front of the net but neither will be mistaken for shutdown stalwarts out there.

Dunn is the better passer and a little better at transitioning the puck.

All in all, they’re pretty close IMO and Walman has some areas where he’s better but Dunn gets the nod in hockey IQ so I think that will result in him keeping the edge between the two overall.

Excellent assessment IA! I agree with everything, except your comment on Walman's hockey IQ. I would split his hockey IQ into two pieces for comparison to Dunn's. I would say that Walman's ice vision and offensive sense is well above "average" on offence, rather than "a little above average". But those traits on defence are only about average. And his reading of plays is still a bit lower than average for a defender. So, Dunn has a moderate edge in offensive sense. but a more pronounced edge in overall hockey sense. But, I also feel thatWalman may never catch up to Dunn in overall value, as Dunn may always have the edge in "hockey IQ", and, just as Walman will get comfortable with defending with added experience, Dunn should be able to improve his shot with the added game experience and time to work on it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Dunn doesnt really need to improve his shot. His wrist shot is a rocket and the few slappers we've seen are heavy. I can't really compare the 2 because my viewing of Walman has been a little AHL time and this pre season...sprinkled with YT videos. With that said....he has a 1 timer over Dunn and thats it. He looks like he might be quicker in his edges then Dunn but that looks stylistic, more then ability. Dunn has a very fluidic skating style. I absolutely love watching him skate. He's super light on his feet.

Imo, I think the prospect camp and Traverse bumped Walman's stock over Dunn, mainly because Dunn couldn't participate. Once they were on the ice together, Dunn walked away with the job. I watched alot of Dunn with the Ice Dogs, we're just scratching the surface with him. He'll have a similar offensive game to what we're seeing with Pietrangelo. Not a ton of bombs from the point but top of the circle and in "pinching" goals. I've been very impressed with his defense, especially along the boards. He's alot better at the NHL level then I thought he would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celtic Note

MU_Beerman

May 20, 2004
Been watching a lot of Thomas highlights, i realize some of the moves arent going to play in the show but he finds open space, can handle the puck at speed, and scores from everywhere. Is this guy finally the #1 center we've been wishing for...geez forever?

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Been watching a lot of Thomas highlights, i realize some of the moves arent going to play in the show but he finds open space, can handle the puck at speed, and scores from everywhere. Is this guy finally the #1 center we've been wishing for...geez forever?
He's got all the tools to succeed at the top-level, it's up to him to put it together. I'm really hoping, lol.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
You just have to watch one game of him to see it not just highlights. He is the quarterback for London. Most rushes up the ice are led by him moving it up the ice and dishing. It’s fun to watch

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Through 14 games Thomas has more goals(12) than assists(10), never thought i would see that!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

They should be worried.

giphy.webp

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I feel that way, too. Like you're taking crazy pills.

Maybe Armstrong already knew that Hammond wasn't being assigned to San Antonio, but its not correct for him to comment about personnel matters of another team's prospects so he couldn't say why he wasn't concerned. And now we know too.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I feel that way, too. Like you're taking crazy pills.

Maybe Armstrong already knew that Hammond wasn't being assigned to San Antonio, but its not correct for him to comment about personnel matters of another team's prospects so he couldn't say why he wasn't concerned. And now we know too.
Are you suggesting that the GM once again knows more then fans?:popcorn:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
McKenzie seems to think Kyrou and Thomas are both locks to make the Canada WJC team. Sounds like Kaspick will also receive some consideration on the LW as well. Really hope both Kyrou and Thomas excel at the tournament.

http://www.tsn.ca/world-junior-selection-process-ramps-up-1.907378
Now, let's fill in the players who we believe to be mortal locks, or close to it, to make the final roster.

Up front, there are probably only three who fall into that category.

That would be two centres – Anaheim Ducks prospect Sam Steel of the Regina Pats and St. Louis Blue prospect Robert Thomas of the London Knights – and one right winger – St. Louis prospect Jordan Kyrou of the Sarnia Sting.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
McKenzie seems to think Kyrou and Thomas are both locks to make the Canada WJC team. Sounds like Kaspick will also receive some consideration on the LW as well. Really hope both Kyrou and Thomas excel at the tournament.

http://www.tsn.ca/world-junior-selection-process-ramps-up-1.907378
Would really like to see the Canada squad put Kyrou and Thomas together. I expect Thomas to be a C at the NHL level but I see Kyrou as a winger. Hell, put all three of those guys together on a line and see what they can do. They're bound to have some familiarity with each other from prospects camp, Traverse City and main camp.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

World Junior selection process ramps up - Article - TSN
I wonder if we release Kostin for the tournament. I would imagine we do unless he's up in the NHL by then. Then it's a question of if Toropchenko makes it. Beyond that, I wouldn't be surprised if NKC is on Denmark but I wouldn't expect any other Blues prospects to make their teams. Even still, that's potentially 6 prospects who would be in the tournament

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
I wonder if we release Kostin for the tournament. I would imagine we do unless he's up in the NHL by then. Then it's a question of if Toropchenko makes it. Beyond that, I wouldn't be surprised if NKC is on Denmark but I wouldn't expect any other Blues prospects to make their teams. Even still, that's potentially 6 prospects who would be in the tournament
If we release Koistin for it would we release Thompson for it as Well? Or is he ineligible for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad