2017-2018 Blues Discussion Thread Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If they put Hutton on IR, isn't he automatically out for 7 days? If so, then Husso will probably play one of the back to back games.

That 7 day clock started on Thursday since he didn't dress in that game. So from an IR/roster perspective, he can be available for this Thursday's game against the Ducks. If he's healthy, I'd guess that he plays the road game against the Jets.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I think I missed this. Did Allen start both games this weekend or did Husso play against Buffalo?

EDIT: I didn't see the Buffalo game. 6 week old baby wasn't very happy yesterday at all.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
He's got quite a bit of learning to go defensively, but Dunn has been a pleasant surprise to this point. The kid knows how to move the puck up ice, that's for sure. I'm actually a bit surprised he hasn't scored more.

I think he might have a bit of the early Parayko syndrome, a rookie deferring to the vets for the shots. He should shoot more as he has a very nice wrister (nice release, velocity and accuracy) . He also has the skating prowess to dance past an overly aggressive defender at the point for a quick wrister from the top of the circle.

Overall, I think he has one of the better shots on the team.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Hello Jordan Schmaltz. I’ve liked his play a ton this year. Really hope he takes a few “risks” this callup as he’s a decent prospect who’s been a bit forgotten by many.

Reactions: Celtic Note

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
This is the last way that I wanted Schmaltz called up, but ive been really hoping he would get a chance this year...I think he will end up staying and Bortz will finally be the alternate D man for rest days and injury fill in. I'm really hoping Schmaltz stays.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
This is the last way that I wanted Schmaltz called up, but ive been really hoping he would get a chance this year...I think he will end up staying and Bortz will finally be the alternate D man for rest days and injury fill in. I'm really hoping Schmaltz stays.

What do they do with Gunnarson?

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Assuming Army saw the same thing we all did -a glaring hole at 2RW- and he was going to address it via trade I’d imagine he already has some guys in mind who he’d like to acquire. If that is the case I hope he goes out and gets one of them sooner rather than later, because even when Schwartz returns that same hole will remain. This way they could get that player acclimated with the team and hopefully offset some of the offense lost with Schwartz. Then, when Schwartz returns in late January/early February the whole team can hopefully gel down the stretch and into the postseason.

This of course is all assuming he was going to address it via trade this year. I feel as though we’ve seen all the internal options and none of them have inspired too much confidence.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I don't think Gunnar has that much value. The only way he does us any good is if he goes to a team with an urgent need for a bottom 4 d, and we will still have to add to him to get a top 6 rw in trade. We are already short our first next year, so picks aren't really an option. I don't think a trade is made unless we really start to tank with our heavy hitters out. I think DA will work from within, and then make a move at the trade deadline depending on where we are sitting.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’d say Gunnar is the obvious guy to trade if they can, especially if Schmaltz shows he can play at this level, but I just don’t see Gunnar as an overly desirable piece. He’s an NHL caliber d-man but I’d think the + would have to be pretty decent to get another team to give us a middle-6 RW in return.

But Gunnar or someone making at least decent cash will have to go for it to fit under the Cap. The Blues already had a tight cap situation but it’s even tighter now since, as of today anyway, both Schwartz and Petro are on IR, not LTIR, so they along with Barbashev and Schmaltz are all counting against the Cap now.

St. Louis Blues - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Blues are now down to having projected trade deadline cap space of $224k. They’re not going to be able to add anyone unless salary in pretty much matches salary out. And Cap space today is $77k (virtually nothing in a cap of $75 million) so money going out would be even more important today than at the trade deadline...AND they’re going to need to keep enough wiggle room so that they can continue to add guys from the minors if/when more injuries occur.

Note: I wouldn’t be surprised if Schwartz found his way onto LTIR. LTIR means he’d have to miss a minimum of 10 games or 24 days and he’s easily projected to miss more than that. But putting Schwartz on LTIR would really just help in the event they needed more guys from the minors as they’d eventually need to take him off LTIR and fit him back under the cap 6 or so weeks from now. The only time LTIR really helps a team is when a guy is hurt during the season (and before the trade deadline so the team can add someone else) and then that player magically returns at the start of the playoffs, where there is no salary cap (ie. Patrick Kane’s broken collarbone a few years ago).

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Sounds more like

Ed-Colt
Gunny-Bort
Dunn-Schmaltz

YUGE test for that 3rd pairing tonight.

Yeesh.

That’s a tough ask for Dunn but especially Schmaltz.

Welcome to the NHL! You’ll be on 3rd pairing but we’re missing our #1 and LD minute eater so we’re going to need you to step up and shut down the...who are we playing tonight? Oh, TB. Yeah, good luck! We’re counting on you!

The above was written in a joking manner but it is a tough ask for those 2 especially. Thankfully the Blues are at home so they get last change but God help them if Dunn-Schmaltz ice the puck and TB puts the Stammer-Kuch line out against our tired 3rd pairing.

But even though it’s cliche, it’s true. The Blues need to buckle down and have the “next man up” mentality. Time for hard working, blue collar hockey. They can still win tonight (although I wouldn’t consider them the favorite) but they’re just going to have to weather his storm for a while. They’ve banked a ton of points so they should be fine. If the hover around .500 for a month or so, I’m not going to worry about it too much. Sometimes, adversity is good and really helps bring a team together.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
These injuries are a great opportunity for the kids though. Barbashev and Schmaltz are getting chances they may not have otherwise. If they take them and run with it, they can secure line-up spots or bolster their trade value. Either one could really help us down the stretch.

Reactions: stl76 and Dbrownss

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think there is no way that Gunnar will be traded yet. When injuries come, wich they do and already have, he is an important player.

Well, yeah. Gunnar certainly isn’t getting traded while Petro and Bouw are out. But if Schmaltz can show he belongs and the Blues can get relatively healthy again, trading Gunnar makes sense if they want to add a piece at forward for a push.

The main risk would be that our left D depth would then be Butler, Lindbohm and Walman if there are LD injuries after Gunnar was traded away. I’m not sure which of those 3 the Blues would choose if they had to throw one into the lineup. I’d guess Butler but it’s certainly not an ideal scenario. I still like Walman’s potential but he hasn’t had a great season so far and if they’re calling on him, it likely means Dunn and Schmaltz are already in the lineup. That would be A LOT of youth on D.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Sounds weird but generally think the team looks better with Paajarvi in. He skates hard and has improved his stick play on D quite a bit. A couple good pokes on the PK yesterday. I wouldn't play him over a legit third-liner but he adds something. Similar to how Jaskin actually looks useful this year, just not top 6 useful.
Agree with this very much. PRV takes a lot of crap from posters around here but, like it or not, he is a useful bottom 6er.

Reactions: justde

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Assuming Army saw the same thing we all did -a glaring hole at 2RW- and he was going to address it via trade I’d imagine he already has some guys in mind who he’d like to acquire. If that is the case I hope he goes out and gets one of them sooner rather than later, because even when Schwartz returns that same hole will remain. This way they could get that player acclimated with the team and hopefully offset some of the offense lost with Schwartz. Then, when Schwartz returns in late January/early February the whole team can hopefully gel down the stretch and into the postseason.

This of course is all assuming he was going to address it via trade this year. I feel as though we’ve seen all the internal options and none of them have inspired too much confidence.

We don't really have the cap flexibility to do that unless the guy we are acquiring is very cost controlled. Teams will likely be more willing to retain salary closer to the deadline and less cap space will need to be freed up for a February trade than a trade now. Realistically, I'm not sure any upgrade is doable under the cap until near the deadline. These injuries are pretty brutal.

As for LTIR with Schwartz, that isn't much a solution. If we are utilizing LTIR space while Schwartz is out, then we can't bank cap space. Furthermore, when he comes back, we would need to fit him under the cap without using his LTIR relief. Realistically, we are kind of just squeezed by the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad