2017-2018 AHL contracts

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Two-way?

Winquist has 62 points in 88 games over the past two seasons and he couldn't get anything better than a two-way with one of the deepest AHL team?

Aren't all AHL contracts two-way?

Not necessarily.

Two-way means they can be assigned to ECHL affiliate.

Nominally, only ELS (NHL) contracts have that mandated. But a two-way NHL deal means players are paid differently at NHL/minor levels. IOW they might get $700k in NHL and $70k in AHL.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Not necessarily.

Two-way means they can be assigned to ECHL affiliate.

Nominally, only ELS (NHL) contracts have that mandated. But a two-way NHL deal means players are paid differently at NHL/minor levels. IOW they might get $700k in NHL and $70k in AHL.

"Two-way" refers just to salary, not to if a player can be assigned or not. All AHL contracts can be assigned to the ECHL.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
"Two-way" refers just to salary, not to if a player can be assigned or not. All AHL contracts can be assigned to the ECHL.

Don't salaries decrease dramatically upon assignment to the ECHL due to the very low ECHL salary cap? Therefore a one-way AHL contract pretty much makes ECHL assignment impossible (can't pay him his AHL salary in the ECHL and, if I recall correctly, the AHL team can't cover the difference either).

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Don't salaries decrease dramatically upon assignment to the ECHL due to the very low ECHL salary cap? Therefore a one-way AHL contract pretty much makes ECHL assignment impossible (can't pay him his AHL salary in the ECHL and, if I recall correctly, the AHL team can't cover the difference either).

Players assigned by NHL or AHL teams only count against the ECHL for a small amount (I'm on my phone and can't look it up, but I think it's $575 a week) regardless of what their higher league contract says.

The ECHL team is required to pay the amount of the cap hit to the AHL/NHL team, and the rest of the salary is covered by the higher level team.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Players assigned by NHL or AHL teams only count against the ECHL for a small amount (I'm on my phone and can't look it up, but I think it's $575 a week) regardless of what their higher league contract says.

The ECHL team is required to pay the amount of the cap hit to the AHL/NHL team, and the rest of the salary is covered by the higher level team.

Just to correct the record, in 2016-17 the amount was $525/week.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010

Thanks!

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

This is exactly why an NHL/AHL affiliation is so valuable. The player gets paid $50,000+ and it only costs the ECHL team $11,000 if he is assigned for the entire season. (Other monies may change hands between the ECHL team and the affiliate, depending on their affiliation deal)

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
This is exactly why an NHL/AHL affiliation is so valuable. The player gets paid $50,000+ and it only costs the ECHL team $11,000 if he is assigned for the entire season. (Other monies may change hands between the ECHL team and the affiliate, depending on their affiliation deal)

I'm going to be honest with you and tell you I haven't asked if that's true or not (I will Saturday when I see the Railers folks at an event), but the ECHL FAQ seems to indicate that's not the case:

http://www.echl.com/faq-s
What is the NHL/AHL affiliate payment?
The NHL/AHL affiliate payment for 2016-17 is $525 per week. Any affiliate amount other than $525 per week agreed upon with any NHL/AHL club will be considered a salary cap violation. This includes excess payments for equipment, travel, etc.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Could be that it has changed, but in the past I think there were different arrangements between the teams depending on ownership. For an independently owned ECHL team the overall affiliation agreement could involve a payment from the ECHL team to the NHL and/or AHL team, like an annual licensing fee for using their name and logo in promotions, etc. Those payments would be more of an annual fee though, I didn't mean to imply there were other payments related to the individual player transactions.

Obviously if the NHL team owns the ECHL team they are going to be paying for staff salaries, operational costs, covering losses, etc so money could go the other way too - again separate from individual player loans between the teams.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Could be that it has changed, but in the past I think there were different arrangements between the teams depending on ownership. For an independently owned ECHL team the overall affiliation agreement could involve a payment from the ECHL team to the NHL and/or AHL team, like an annual licensing fee for using their name and logo in promotions, etc. Those payments would be more of an annual fee though, I didn't mean to imply there were other payments related to the individual player transactions.

Obviously if the NHL team owns the ECHL team they are going to be paying for staff salaries, operational costs, covering losses, etc so money could go the other way too - again separate from individual player loans between the teams.

I jotted all this down on my "things to ask" list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad