Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We never know how these things pan out. Those Nyquist/Tatar rumours floating around out there would have been better than our return for Bouw (which was about as bad as it could have been all things considered); then again, who knows what kind of team we have now if that's the case.

I dunno, I can defend the return a bit on Iggy given being respectful and whatnot, and that the Boston package didn't end up being much in the end either, and the pick would have been even later, but that St. Louis package still grinds my gears a lot.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
At the time of the 2013 draft one guy I wanted with our late firsts was Shea Theodore.

But honestly outside of him Hartman and Burakovsky none of the guys who went in that area turned out well and most aren't even NHLers. It was a draft with no depth, a bad year to have 3 firsts I think this year could end up similar.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Eh, drafts are still and will always be, alot of guess work.

Yeah last years draft was said to be weak (I never thought so). And he’s looking like a great draft with lots of depth and good players. I think it’ll go down as the best in the last 10 years.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Yeah last years draft was said to be weak (I never thought so). And he’s looking like a great draft with lots of depth and good players. I think it’ll go down as the best in the last 10 years.

Not sure about that, 2016 looks pretty phenomenal, especially if one of Dubois, Pool Party or Juolevi round into shape. (Fingers crossed only one of them do.)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not sure about that, 2016 looks pretty phenomenal, especially if one of Dubois, Pool Party or Juolevi round into shape. (Fingers crossed only one of them do.)

From last years draft, here are guys that I think have potential be topline players:

Hischier
Patrick
Pettersson
Glass
Mittelstadt
Vilardi
Necas
Tippett
Vesalainen
Thomas
Chytil
Frost
Tolvanen
Kostin

Then guys that have potential to be top 6:

Andersson
Suzuki
Rasmussen
Norris
Yamamoto
Poehling
Bowers
Hemponiemi
Dolan
Texier

Then there was all these stud dman picks:

Heiskanen
Makar
Brannstrom
Valimaki
Liljegren
Joseph

I know a good amount of those guys won’t pan out. But honestly last years draft was just an embarrassment of riches.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Can you guys give me some insight into Flames players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Andrew Mangiapane
Spencer Foo
Ryan Lomberg

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Can you guys give me some insight into Flames players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Andrew Mangiapane
Spencer Foo
Ryan Lomberg

Andrew Mangiapane was played mostly in the bottom 6 and didn't impress that much but was not bad by any means. He's produced fantastic numbers in the AHL as a young player and overall looks to be a promising forward at the NHL stage, but you know as I've stated trillions of times being a LHS LWer, he does not have a fit on the Flames.

Spencer Foo looked good in a limited role and he actually fits a need for the Flames, about future idk he might just be a Pontus Aberg like player that is more hardworking but not as skilled.

Ryan Lomberg is a great energy guy and that's about it, don't know if he has a future or not.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
From last years draft, here are guys that I think have potential be topline players:

Hischier
Patrick
Pettersson
Glass
Mittelstadt
Vilardi
Necas
Tippett
Vesalainen
Thomas
Chytil
Frost
Tolvanen
Kostin

Then guys that have potential to be top 6:

Andersson
Suzuki
Rasmussen
Norris
Yamamoto
Poehling
Bowers
Hemponiemi
Dolan
Texier

Then there was all these stud dman picks:

Heiskanen
Makar
Brannstrom
Valimaki
Liljegren
Joseph

I know a good amount of those guys won’t pan out. But honestly last years draft was just an embarrassment of riches.

2017 draft was supposed to be a bad draft and 2018 was supposed to be a deep draft, yet if anything 2018 doesn't look so deep, more like 2012 but with Dahlin, and 2017 was truly deep beyond words. Even in the 2nd round, Timmins, Lind, Hague, etc. all look like great picks.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Hey all. I posed this question in the trade boards and figured this would be a better place to ask.

Can any Flames or Heat fans clue me in to how Andersson has been used in Stockton? His scouting report is easy enough to find, but I'm interested in learning about his growth and usage in the past year or two and that information seems sparse online. Things like minutes played, zone deployment, and general progression. I liked what I saw from him at the ASG this year and have always liked him as a prospect.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hey all. I posed this question in the trade boards and figured this would be a better place to ask.

Can any Flames or Heat fans clue me in to how Andersson has been used in Stockton? His scouting report is easy enough to find, but I'm interested in learning about his growth and usage in the past year or two and that information seems sparse online. Things like minutes played, zone deployment, and general progression. I liked what I saw from him at the ASG this year and have always liked him as a prospect.

Top pairing Dman in Stockton. Used as an all-purpose defender matched up against other teams' top units.
Coaches sing his praises.

He moved to Calgary after the season to stick it out with the coaching staff and trainers here in town. His fault has always been his shape. The guy was playing 25-30 minutes a night in Barrie while being completely out of shape.

Guy has NHL written all over him.

Reactions: Dack and Shootica

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Top pairing Dman in Stockton. Used as an all-purpose defender matched up against other teams' top units.
Coaches sing his praises.

He moved to Calgary after the season to stick it out with the coaching staff and trainers here in town. His fault has always been his shape. The guy was playing 25-30 minutes a night in Barrie while being completely out of shape.

Guy has NHL written all over him.

Thanks! I know a lot of his old scouting reports list his skating as adequate but nothing special, but when I saw him at the all-star game he looked to have decent wheels. Is that something he's taken noticeable strides in (pun intended) while in Stockton? Maybe that stemmed from getting in better shape, but he certainly looked agile enough from what I saw.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Andersson’s skating was never an issue. He was always average, he’s an above average puck handler so it never caused him problems. He’s certainly improved it, I wouldn’t say he has blazing speed now, but he’s above average now.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Do you guys think parsons is gonna have bounce back year? Is it him or gillies who is the goalie of the future? Opinions. Thanks

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Andersson’s skating was never an issue. He was always average, he’s an above average puck handler so it never caused him problems. He’s certainly improved it, I wouldn’t say he has blazing speed now, but he’s above average now.

any of the new draftees bumping into the top 10 prospect list?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thanks! I know a lot of his old scouting reports list his skating as adequate but nothing special, but when I saw him at the all-star game he looked to have decent wheels. Is that something he's taken noticeable strides in (pun intended) while in Stockton? Maybe that stemmed from getting in better shape, but he certainly looked agile enough from what I saw.

There's a reason why he apparently was given the nickname Fat Ras by some fans. I think most felt he was NHL ready last season, but his commitment to nutrition and conditioning wasn't the best, which (pun intended) likely tipped the scales in preference to sending him back to the farm for another year of development.

Andersson models his games after Doughty. I don't fully know if the Donut Doughty stuff was a coincidence or on purpose.

Reactions: Shootica

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Andrew Mangiapane
Spencer Foo
Ryan Lomberg

Mangiapane likely didn't have anything to work with when on the NHL roster, but I think he'll be a good one.

Foo looked decent, but hesitant when he played. He also seemed to fall down a lot when I watched him play. However, in an interview, he mentioned that he had to learn he deserved to play at the NHL level and could not afford to be star struck again if he ever got another shot. If he's worked on being stronger on his skates and had a minor bump up in speed... I think he'd be similar to Lazar.

Lomberg is a good energy, sandpaper pest sort of guy. I personally really like him. Think... Tkachuk, 0 calories. I really like him, but I really don't know if he can stick in the bigs due to the excess of LW in the league and his size. He has drive, but not enough skill. He had sandpaper, but his size means it'd be like grinding a player down with a nail file. Superior foot speed could help him, but his speed is currently nothing special. He's 5'9" and is fearless. I think he might possibly have a chance to be able to emulate a Pat Verbeek little ball of hate lite career though.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Do you guys think parsons is gonna have bounce back year? Is it him or gillies who is the goalie of the future? Opinions. Thanks

Gillies time is nearing up to show that he can be an elite AHL goalie, let alone a goalie of the future for the Flames. His NHL showing last year, came with significant flaws.

You have to hope Parsons bounces back nicely; this guy's still a top goalie prospect.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gillies time is nearing up to show that he can be an elite AHL goalie, let alone a goalie of the future for the Flames. His NHL showing last year, came with significant flaws.

You have to hope Parsons bounces back nicely; this guy's still a top goalie prospect.

I'm torn about Gilles. There's certain things about his game that are fantastic. But IMO he has injury concerns. I wouldn't doubt the possibility he's a later bloomer and moving from him could be a Bishop level of mistake... but he's super hot and cold in my limited viewings of him.

Different track: Stockton needs centre man. We've been gutting the centre depth constantly for a while. What are some options for C?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm torn about Gilles. There's certain things about his game that are fantastic. But IMO he has injury concerns. I wouldn't doubt the possibility he's a later bloomer and moving from him could be a Bishop level of mistake... but he's super hot and cold in my limited viewings of him.

Different track: Stockton needs centre man. We've been gutting the centre depth constantly for a while. What are some options for C?
Gillies has had 1 major injury, one where it takes time to recover as it completely changes the feeling and flexibility of his hip.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gillies has had 1 major injury, one where it takes time to recover as it completely changes the feeling and flexibility of his hip.

I seem to recall he had more than that, no? Or were those injuries the precursors to his hip surgery?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I seem to recall he had more than that, no? Or were those injuries the precursors to his hip surgery?
He missed a couple games here and there with things, but it wasn't major, the second most major was probably missing a bit of training camp due to the elbow in the head he took from one of the UC Dinos (the reason we don't play them anymore after the rookie tourney)

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad