Recalled/Assigned: 2017-18 Sharks Roster moves thread: Heed recalled to keep Ryan company in the press box also Bibeau

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is odd. With them being sent down aren't we short a forward?

Capfriendly shows 13, with Goodrow on IR and Couture injured, putting us at 11.

I'm pretty sure there will be more movement before the deadline hits. They probably sent them down just to maybe save a few cap dollars and give them flexibility to do this again a little later on in the week.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'm pretty sure there will be more movement before the deadline hits. They probably sent them down just to maybe save a few cap dollars and give them flexibility to do this again a little later on in the week.

Yeah, they could just put Couture on IR and call-up a forward even during the freeze because of the new "hole" in the roster.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
DeBoer for some unknown reason has benched Ryan...no idea why Ryan is in the AHL while DeMelo is playing every game.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Just wait when the great Paul Martin returns. I wouldn't be surprised if Heed is sacrificed over DeMelo.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

This'll happen too... dammit.

Reactions: Sandisfan

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
:( It'd sure be nice to see a Vlasic-Braun, Ryan-Burns, Martin/Dillon-Heed defense...

What I don't get is if Deboer is willing to go Demelo-Heed as a third pair, I don't understand never trying Vlasic - Braun ; Dillon/Martin - Burns; Ryan - Heed. Especially with their AHL chemistry.

That would also take away any argument of Burns playing differently because of a rookie partner.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
What I don't get is if Deboer is willing to go Demelo-Heed as a third pair, I don't understand never trying Vlasic - Braun ; Dillon/Martin - Burns; Ryan - Heed. Especially with their AHL chemistry.

That would also take away any argument of Burns playing differently because of a rookie partner.

I can imagine the concern is that they would get pushed around at the NHL level, but I think it would be an interesting experiment.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Right, but then just waive DeMelo...he's an average bottom-pairing defenseman. Ryan has shown he can play on the 2nd pairing alongside Burns and hold his own - that's impressive.

There's a few things about this. With Ryan's waiver exemption status, there's no reason to risk losing an asset when you don't have to. Even though DeMelo is an average bottom-pairing d-man, he's the perfect #7 and you need eight guys you can count on to play in the NHL more often than not with injuries and the like. Also, while he did impress himself on the 2nd pairing, it came at the expense of Burns' production. I don't think it's coincidence that Burns has gone off since Ryan was removed from being Burns' partner. That's not to say that Ryan is a bad player as he obviously isn't but he doesn't yet allow Burns to play his game.

Ideally, Martin comes back healthy and plays effectively. If he does, they can move him or Dillon in a trade for either forward help or draft picks to make room in the lineup for Ryan. Ryan and Heed I think would make a good 3rd pairing. May be a little small and inexperienced but they have worked well in the past and have enough skill to compensate for their lack of physical prowess relatively speaking.

Reactions: Led Zappa

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's on Capfriendly now that O'Regan and Sorensen have been called back up. They've removed Ryan from the main roster but have not included an assignment yet to the Barracuda nor have they removed the transaction from yesterday that had him called up so I'm betting that they sent him back down and only called him up to make Ryan available until the Saturday night deadline for a recall that otherwise wouldn't have been available to them had they not recalled him before yesterday's deadline.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
PF, are you suggesting that Brenden Dillon, of all people, allows Burns to play his game better than Joakim Ryan? I love Dillon and I've been a Dillon advocate from the moment he got here but Ryan is a much better complement to Burns.

I would buy the suggestion that Burns doesn't trust Ryan as much as he trusts Burns, which would be idiotic but is plausible. If Burns honestly feels more comfortable taking risks with Brenden Dillon as his partner than he does Joakim Ryan, that's his problem.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
PF, are you suggesting that Brenden Dillon, of all people, allows Burns to play his game better than Joakim Ryan? I love Dillon and I've been a Dillon advocate from the moment he got here but Ryan is a much better complement to Burns.

I would buy the suggestion that Burns doesn't trust Ryan as much as he trusts Burns, which would be idiotic but is plausible. If Burns honestly feels more comfortable taking risks with Brenden Dillon as his partner than he does Joakim Ryan, that's his problem.

I believe in the short term that Dillon would be better for Burns' game than Ryan but long term it is obviously better for Ryan to be in that spot for Burns' sake. I agree that Ryan is a much better complement to Burns but Burns obviously plays a more conservative game (not necessarily better, mind you) when he's paired with Ryan. That's entirely on Burns and something he needs to work through, I agree with that as well but I think the evidence points to that conclusion at this point.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
There's a few things about this. With Ryan's waiver exemption status, there's no reason to risk losing an asset when you don't have to. Even though DeMelo is an average bottom-pairing d-man, he's the perfect #7 and you need eight guys you can count on to play in the NHL more often than not with injuries and the like.

Fair enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad