Speculation: 2017-18 Sharks roster discussion III - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
If the sharks avoid Nashville I think they can make a run. We’re just not equipped to beat fast skilled teams like NSH and TB. I’m really hoping the Panthers make it and bump TB in the first round.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else hoping we resign Kane? I mean, so far, he's been phenomenal. Like having a second, meaner, Timo. I'd give him 6-6.5 x 5-6 years. Then imagine if we sign Tavares?!?! Next year would be insane. Even just signing one more top 6 winger (JVR, ahem) would be insane

28-8-9
48-39-JvR
62-19-28
89-50-23

Or with Tavares
8-Tavares-9
27-48-39
62-19-28
20-50-23

Mmaaaaannnnn, both of those are scary teams

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I can see why we'd be an underdog vs nash/Winnipeg but Jones could simply just outplay Rinne, aswell as Kane with a vendetta could be that 1 goal factor over Winnipeg. Especially with a rested Joe Thornton for the first time in his career, its really hard to bet against the sharks. Not to mention the sharks are getting overlooked with a stacked depth team much like in 2016.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
With all the talk of Evander Kane, for good reason, I think that ive overlooked Eric Fair quite a bit. Even without scoring any goals he has been effective on the 4th line.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
With all the talk of Evander Kane, for good reason, I think that ive overlooked Eric Fair quite a bit. Even without scoring any goals he has been effective on the 4th line.
Has been fair but just like Pavelski he's no Center and with everybody healthy I think the Sharks have better options.

Jul 10, 2010
i know its "made fun of" but the Sharks are built like a playoff team. Big bodies on the wing in Kane and Meier that can wear a team down over a 7 game series along with Hertl who i also throw into that category. The sharks are playing well despite a flaccid PP, and everyone knows PPs dry up come playoff time.

I like the Sharks chances vs Nashville, Winnipeg IMO is a more dangerous team

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Has been fair but just like Pavelski he's no Center and with everybody healthy I think the Sharks have better options.

Huh? How is he not a center.

I highly disagree, but maybe you have some really insightful reason I haven't considered that will change my mind.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
i know its "made fun of" but the Sharks are built like a playoff team. Big bodies on the wing in Kane and Meier that can wear a team down over a 7 game series along with Hertl who i also throw into that category. The sharks are playing well despite a flaccid PP, and everyone knows PPs dry up come playoff time.

I like the Sharks chances vs Nashville, Winnipeg IMO is a more dangerous team

The Sharks PP will be fine once Thornton returns. He's literally the driving force behind it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Huh? How is he not a center.

I highly disagree, but maybe you have some really insightful reason I haven't considered that will change my mind.

From what I know he was always a Winger. Only just recently, in Toronto, he started to play Center on a regular basis. Wilson/De Boer said that he impressed them as a shutdown Center during the playoffs series against the Pens but Fehr didn't play Center then. Malkin, Crosby, Bonino and Cullen did.

Maybe you remember him playing Center before but I'm pretty sure that he played Winger all career long. He's also playing that way. He's done okay but with everybody healthy, I don't see a spot for Fehr in the playoffs. Hansen should be in and Thornton will be back by then bumping Tierney to 4C.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
From what I know he was always a Winger. Only just recently, in Toronto, he started to play Center on a regular basis. Wilson/De Boer said that he impressed them as a shutdown Center during the playoffs series against the Pens but Fehr didn't play Center then. Malkin, Crosby, Bonino and Cullen did.

Maybe you remember him playing Center before but I'm pretty sure that he played Winger all career long. He's also playing that way. He's done okay but with everybody healthy, I don't see a spot for Fehr in the playoffs. Hansen should be in and Thornton will be back by then bumping Tierney to 4C.
Pavelski was a center for like his first 7 years in the league. He’s only been playing winger for 3 or so years.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Oh didn’t read the post you quoted properly. I was so confused. I believe Fehr played center mainly for the Caps. Actually played 3C a bit

Did he? Must have been quite a while ago...the way I remember it Washington had the same Center group for years. Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Laich and Beagle with Brouwer shifting from Wing to Center if needed.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Pavelski was a center for like his first 7 years in the league. He’s only been playing winger for 3 or so years.

I didn’t realize it was his first seven. But he’s been playing wing for more Then 3, I think this is his 5th on joes wing.

Either way Tierney Has earned third line duties. And I see Pavelski moving back to wing if and when jumbo comes back

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Did he? Must have been quite a while ago...the way I remember it Washington had the same Center group for years. Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Laich and Beagle with Brouwer shifting from Wing to Center if needed.

Fehr's been a center since 2013-14.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Fehr's been a center since 2013-14.

I disagree. At least not regularly. Again. In Washington they had Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Laich and Beagle. In Pittsburgh they had Malkin, Crosby, Bonino and Cullen. Plus, in neither team Fehr could have been the first replacement. In Washington that was Brouwer or Latta and in Pittsburgh Sundqvist and Rowney.

You need a bit more than a simple claim to convince me here. I've never seen Fehr at Center before his Toronto days but I've seen all of those names above at Center on a regular basis. Now I'm not really following Washington or Pittaburgh closely so it's possible that he played some Center but it couldn't have been on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Just look at his faceoff data. It's a good enough proxy.

Eric Fehr Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Looks like 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 he took a fair amount of faceoffs. Probably enough in 2014-2015 to say he exclusively played center. But not enough either playing time or faceoffs taken to say he was playing only center since then.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Just look at his faceoff data. It's a good enough proxy.

Eric Fehr Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Looks like 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 he took a fair amount of faceoffs. Probably enough in 2014-2015 to say he exclusively played center. But not enough either playing time or faceoffs taken to say he was playing only center since then.

Faceoffs don't mean anything. Hertl and Pavelski hardly played Center in recent years but took loads of faceoffs. In my fantasy team I have Zack Smith and JT Compher. They're no Centers and hardly played Center but still each win over four faceoffs per game.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Im glad to see he has played center previously, but that wasn't actually the point of my question.

Even if this was his first year as a center, how is he not really a center? I only care if he can play center, and give zero toots about what he has played in the past.

Burns was never a forward, but played one perfectly fine, and if he continued to play forward the rest of his career and perform great as one, no one would ever question if he was a forward, just because he started out as a D-man.

Fehr has played center perfectly fine for a 4th liner, and is absolutely destroying the FO dot so far. Unless something changes with that, he is a 4th line center in my book.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Im glad to see he has played center previously, but that wasn't actually the point of my question.

Even if this was his first year as a center, how is he not really a center? I only care if he can play center, and give zero toots about what he has played in the past.

Burns was never a forward, but played one perfectly fine, and if he continued to play forward the rest of his career and perform great as one, no one would ever question if he was a forward, just because he started out as a D-man.

Fehr has played center perfectly fine for a 4th liner, and is absolutely destroying the FO dot so far. Unless something changes with that, he is a 4th line center in my book.

He didn't play Center regularly until Toronto.
He's done okay but he's not better than Goodrow. So with Hansen and Thornton both in, he should be amongst the scratches.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I disagree. At least not regularly. Again. In Washington they had Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Laich and Beagle. In Pittsburgh they had Malkin, Crosby, Bonino and Cullen. Plus, in neither team Fehr could have been the first replacement. In Washington that was Brouwer or Latta and in Pittsburgh Sundqvist and Rowney.

You need a bit more than a simple claim to convince me here. I've never seen Fehr at Center before his Toronto days but I've seen all of those names above at Center on a regular basis. Now I'm not really following Washington or Pittaburgh closely so it's possible that he played some Center but it couldn't have been on a regular basis.

It doesn't matter if you disagree. He did and that's just the end of that point.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Burns was drafted by minny as a forward. Played his 1st pro season in the ahl as a forward and then was moved to defence his 2nd year pro before he made the nhl.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It doesn't matter if you disagree. He did and that's just the end of that point.

I gave you six names each who all played Center over him and that's all you have to say?:D
Please forgive me but since you want 96789457848 sources for every word written on this forum this is just priceless. You would hyperventilate if somebody said that to you. Muahaha:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Fehr was 2nd to Backstrom on the Caps in faceoffs taken in 2014-2015, probably not as a winger.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I gave you six names each who all played Center over him and that's all you have to say?:D
Please forgive me but since you want 96789457848 sources for every word written on this forum this is just priceless. You would hyperventilate if somebody said that to you. Muahaha:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Except for the fact that he still played center especially because Beagle, Grabovski, and Laich were all hurt during numerous stretches of those seasons and had to play center for significant stretches of those seasons but don't let a little thing like reality and facts get in the way of your stupid narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad