www.half-wallhockey.com
This is one sexy lineup on paper:

Kane-Thornton-Pavs
Hertl-Couture-Boedker
Meier-Tierney-Labanc
Hansen-Fehr-Goodrow

Ward/Sorensen first replacement for Hansen/Fehr/Goodrow
Gambrell for injury depth

Donskoi comes in and either displaces Boedker to the 4th or Labanc gets scratched

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Daniel Brickley via Bob McKenzie. LS posted his tweet on the last page.

I don't see any mention of us in the tweet posted by LS, or on McKenzie's page but I saw this from Friedman

Friedman is a joke when it comes to his speculation but he's a credible source when he confirms something like this

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hey guys. I'm curious what you are all thinking Hertl will sign for this off season? Also do you think he has more to give offensively or has he reached his ceiling?

Thanks a ton!

Way more room to grow although we're obviously biased on this board. Check his iXGF numbers at all situations, or just check that number for all NHL players and find Hertl.

He likely signs for around $5 years, $5M

Oops. Glad to see another guy say it's us.

Hopefully we get him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hey guys. I'm curious what you are all thinking Hertl will sign for this off season? Also do you think he has more to give offensively or has he reached his ceiling?

Thanks a ton!
I'm guessing about 4-5M. I could see him reaching another level in terms of production numbers.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
From all the scouting reports about Brickley it seems..

+size
+offensive skill (shot, passing, vision, pp QB)
+poise with the puck
+willing to play physical
+sound positionally in the d-zone

-Average skater
-Prone to turnovers
-age (already 24)
-limited upside.

So all in all, it seems he's a ready made 4-6 dman that provides size and offensive ability.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

+size
+poise with the puck

-Average skater
-Prone to turnovers
-age (already 24)
-limited upside.

So all in all, it seems he's a ready made 4-6 dman that provides size and offensive ability.

I know you watch a fair bit of college hockey, how much of him have you seen?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I know you watch a fair bit of college hockey, how much of him have you seen?

I remember seeing him last year and thought oh who is that guy. His shot is heavy and his passing and vision are top notch. I didn't see much Minnesota State this year. From reading different scouting reports, they kinda put into perspective what I saw. I think he's a low risk/high reward type. If he pans out you get a solid 4-6 dman, if not he's easily a top pairing AHL guy. I can see why he'd like S.J. I think if he can get a little quicker, he has a much better shot at sticking.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Thanks a ton!

Hertl does everything at a first line level except score. If he can improve his finishing ability, I expect ~55 points a year primarily at even strength (which is first line production nowadays).

He needs to stay healthy. He was playing lights out a month or so ago, was on pace for 50+ points. Got hurt and while he only missed a couple games, he clearly wasn’t 100% for five or so games. He’s starting to play that way again recently, hopefully he can carry that into the playoffs.

In terms of play style, I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, but Hertl is basically a really good 2C version of Matthews right now. Same type of game but Matthews obviously does almost everything better. I would say that Hertl is better defensively though.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Hertl does everything at a first line level except score. If he can improve his finishing ability, I expect ~55 points a year primarily at even strength (which is first line production nowadays).

I know you could say this about every player, but Hertl could probably have 5-10 more goals if he could finish better. Dude has so many rebound/in tight chances he stuffs into the goalie when net is available.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I know you could say this about every player, but Hertl could probably have 5-10 more goals if he could finish better. Dude has so many rebound/in tight chances he stuffs into the goalie when net is available.

Absolutely. And it’s frustrating because he has nice hands everywhere but within five feet of the net.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

+size
+poise with the puck

-Average skater
-Prone to turnovers
-age (already 24)
-limited upside.

The Sharks do have some room on the LD with no NHL-quality players or intriguing prospects past the pro team.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Thanks a ton!

I agree with those who already responded to you, in that Hertl definitely still has unrealized offensive potential.

Besides injuries throwing his game off several times, his linemates for a lot of his career thus far have been suboptimal offensively. I think Hertl alone is a 40-50pt player, but is the type of player that can elevate his play to match his linemates. This is strictly offense-wise, defensively and possession wise he can carry his own line perfectly fine.

Hertl's two best offensive years now, have been with Cooch as a top comp shut down line, and the other was a half year with Jumbo and Pavs which absolutely destroyed every team, from the second they were put together, up until the Cup Finals when Hertl got hurt. Hertl was scoring at ~70pt pace with the Joes, while looking in no way, shape, or form just a passenger on that line, but arguably the best of the three. So no doubt he could get beyond the ~50 he will get this year if he stays healthy, and has linemates that can facilitate offense.

edit- I think he gets 4.5mil at the least, 5.25 at most.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hertl's awesome, if he starts scoring at a higher rate he'd easily be a 1C.

Problem is that the odds of him doing it are probably not that great. What he is right now would probably be serviceable in the 1C role if he's between someone like Kane and Pavelski or the like.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Problem is that the odds of him doing it are probably not that great. What he is right now would probably be serviceable in the 1C role if he's between someone like Kane and Pavelski or the like.

I think the odds of him doing that are plenty high. His iXGF is over 30 and I think he has the skill and the hands around the net to be a 30 goal, 30 assist player. If he can maintain his near Selke level shutdown play that he has maintained recently, get his scoring up to that rate, and stay healthy, I have no problem calling him a #1C.

The thing that I least trust there is his ability to stay healthy. I'm plenty willing to call this season a healthy season if he stays healthy throughout the playoffs, but even in the case that he does, this will only be his 2nd season of 5 that he hasn't suffered a major injury.

Reactions: NiWa

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the odds of him doing that are plenty high. His iXGF is over 30 and I think he has the skill and the hands around the net to be a 30 goal, 30 assist player. If he can maintain his near Selke level shutdown play that he has maintained recently, get his scoring up to that rate, and stay healthy, I have no problem calling him a #1C.

The thing that I least trust there is his ability to stay healthy. I'm plenty willing to call this season a healthy season if he stays healthy throughout the playoffs, but even in the case that he does, this will only be his 2nd season of 5 that he hasn't suffered a major injury.

I don't buy it simply because his iXGF will change with becoming the top center. Teams will be more focused on his line defensively getting the best they have and that will skew the numbers. Plus, I have a hard time believing that if he's moved away from Couture that he'll be able to maintain Selke level shutdown play. I still wouldn't have a problem calling him a 1C but I'm not expecting him to improve offensively nor maintain his defensive level. I'm actually pretty confident in Hertl's ability to stay healthy. Freak things happen sometimes but he's not playing in a way that really puts him at risk anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad