2017 /18 season predictions

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Hard to do predictions at this time trades can happen players may or may not report and injuries thru the season
but I will give it a shot
West
Owen Sound
Kitchener
Sault
London
Windsor
Sarnia
Flint
Erie
Saginaw
Guelph
East
Peterborough
Oshawa
Hamilton
Ottawa
Niagara
Kingston
Missy
Barrie
Sudbury
NorthBay

Not surprusing YOU picked the wolves to finish 2nd last :)

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Not surprusing YOU picked the wolves to finish 2nd last :)

If Mcleod and Tippett are back in Missy, they finish at the top of the East, not too sure why people are ranking them so low.

First line of Mcleod - Mcleod - Tippett ....

then you still have Fox, Michnac, Cascagnette, Boomhowwer, Harrogate up front.

3 NHL drafted d-men on the back end

the best 17 year old goalie in the league.

Team will be dangerous

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If Mcleod and Tippett are back in Missy, they finish at the top of the East, not too sure why people are ranking them so low.

Team will be dangerous

I agree. I think they will all be back. None dominated in the OHL, and as Mike Babcock says there's nothing wrong with keeping a player in junior and letting them dominate.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

Team will be dangerous

I agree. I think they will all be back. None dominated in the OHL, and as Mike Babcock says there's nothing wrong with keeping a player in junior and letting them dominate.

I agree with rangersblues on the point that they should continue to play in junior, but I think McLeod is going to be in NJ, Bastien and Saarijarvi are off to the A, and there are a lot of people who think Florida will use Tippett this year because of how horrifically dysfunctional they are. After literally gifting Smith and Marchessault to Vegas they're short on top 6 scoring options. I see Tippett playing in Florda and struggling.

I think 2018-19 will be big for the Steelheads, but I think 2017-18 will be a transition year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I fully expect Tippett to play in the OHL & WJC. Miss will be ok. But, they will miss M.McCleod who is NHL ready now. His speed, strength, & defensive awareness cannot be improved on in the OHL and he should be good enough for meaningful minutes from the start in NJ.
If M.McCleod does return, Miss is a legit contender.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Team will be dangerous

Provided that first line is all in the lineup, and they should be, I agree. Missy should be the class of the conference next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Jordan Kooy might have something to say about this

Ingram had a much more impressive body of work as a 16 year old. HE is easily considered the best 17 year old going into next season. Kooy had a solid year as a backup in 11 games played but Ingram played a lot of meaningful games with considerably solid success.

I assume Kooy will take the reigns as the starter this year in London. So he should definitly have an opportunity to show his skill.

Another interesting 17 year old may be Creed Jones in Ottawa. He was an early pick in the Major Midget draft. He had impressive numbers with the Central Ontario Wolves posting a 1.45 GAA. Why I think it may be interesting is he will be one of those "forgotten" undrafted players as a 16 year old coming in as a 17 year old with the possibility of wrestling a starting job away from a 19 year old if he performs well.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Ingram had a much more impressive body of work as a 16 year old. HE is easily considered the best 17 year old going into next season. Kooy had a solid year as a backup in 11 games played but Ingram played a lot of meaningful games with considerably solid success.

I assume Kooy will take the reigns as the starter this year in London. So he should definitly have an opportunity to show his skill.

Another interesting 17 year old may be Creed Jones in Ottawa. He was an early pick in the Major Midget draft. He had impressive numbers with the Central Ontario Wolves posting a 1.45 GAA. Why I think it may be interesting is he will be one of those "forgotten" undrafted players as a 16 year old coming in as a 17 year old with the possibility of wrestling a starting job away from a 19 year old if he performs well.

Don't sleep on Petes Hunter Jones.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=418628

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I know its a bit early, but who do you guys think will be the top teams in each Division this year? :yo:

The Central and the West look like they should be dominated by Mississauga and Sault Ste. Marie, but you never know. The East might be a good fight between Oshawa and Peterborough, I'll take Oshawa. In the Midwest, I'll take Owen Sound if they can get some decent goaltending

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Heard Norrris who San Jose drafted maybe be sent here by the Sharks the import player is fifty fifty now we traded Paquette last season cannot see the Ice dogs regress Kingston will fade North Bay not good Ottawa and Sudbury never live up to the hype Mcloed not coming back to Missy . Hamilton will be average at best I do agree the Petes still the team to beat

Honestly, it surprises me how you say you heard, when there is no founding information on him ever coming over to the OHL. Time to stop dreaming and stop wishing stuff would come into reality!

"Excited to sign my NLI to officially become a Wolverine! #GoBlue @umichhockey" - Josh Norris
via Twitter

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Here's a preseason prediction;

West;
Soo Greyhounds
Owen Sound Attack
London Knights
Kitchener Rangers
Sarnia Sting
Guelph Storm
Flint Generals
Erie Otters
Windsor Spitfires
Saginaw Spirit

East;
Peterborough Petes
Mississauga Steelheads
Oshawa Generals
Hamilton Bulldogs
Kingston Frontenacs
Sudbury Wolves
Ottawa 67's
Niagara Icedogs
North Bay Battalion
Barrie Colts

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'll give my predictions a go, I know much less about the Eastern Conference though:

Eastern Conference

1. Oshawa Generals - A well coached team returning the majority of their team, I expect a big year from McShane in his draft season.

2. Mississauga Steelheads - I don't think they'll get McLeod back after the Zajac injury, which hurts. But they still have decent forward depth, a very solid defense, and a good young goalie.

3. Peterborough Petes - I expect a close battle between Peterborough and Oshawa for the division crown. Still a pretty strong team.

4. Barrie Colts - My bold prediction, I think the infusion of talent will propel Barrie to home ice in the first round, they'll be fun to watch.

5. Kingston Frontenacs - Helvig is a stud and this team always seem to be well coached, even with the loss of McFarland.

6. Ottawa 67's - Ottawa has a very strong young defense, but I don't think they are quite ready to compete. One more year to grow and they could be serious contenders next season.

7. Hamilton Bulldogs - This could be a team that finishes higher, as they return a good portion of their squad. I'm skeptical of their defense and goaltending.

8. Sudbury Wolves - Another team I could be very wrong about, especially if Sokolov improves, he could dominate. But I also doubt this team's defense with the expected loss of Capobianco.

9. Niagara IceDogs - A young but talented team, they'll be competitive but a borderline playoff team again.

10. North Bay Battalion - I don't like the way Butler runs his team, seemingly prioritizing size over talent. There's not much to get excited about on this roster.

Western Conference

1. Owen Sound Attack - The Attack have a big question mark in goal right now with the loss of McNiven but they'll be deadly offensively again, Suzuki will dominate. Defense is still solid as well.

2. SSM Greyhounds - Made a nice move at the deadline last season to add a solid dman in Carroll while adding picks. They'll be very deep offensively again and Villalta could be very good in net.

3. Kitchener Rangers - They return a huge portion of their team, while also adding two solid import forwards and Logan Stanley. Possible question mark in goal with Opilka having health problems but they have a very solid squad. Could challenge Owen Sound.

4. London Knights - I think this will be a bit of a transition year for the Knights as they won't quite be good enough to compete with Owen Sound/Kitchener but they still have a good team, especially if Juolevi returns.

5. Sarnia Sting - Losing Spinozzi will hurt the back end but they return most everyone else. Goaltending should be fine with Fazio, they'll be strong offensively. I expect a big season out of Kyrou.

6. Saginaw Spirit - I think Saginaw finally takes a step forward after seemingly being stuck in a rebuild for three straight seasons. Blade Jenkins adds to their forward depth and Cormier comes back as on OA to give them a solid goalie.

7. Guelph Storm - Guelph was better than their record indicated last season because of how brutal the midwest is, this season I expect them to make the playoffs with some of their young talent beginning to mature.

8. Erie Otters - I think Erie is a team that will be fairly strong in the first half behind Taylor Raddysh, who could be the best player in the league this season. But they should sell at the deadline and they'll fall off, becoming a borderline playoff team.

9. Windsor Spitfires - Like Erie, Windsor loses a lot of players but still has a decent, competitive squad returning. But they too will need to sell any of their top guys to recoup picks and should also be a borderline playoff team.

10. Flint Firebirds - Flint was surprisingly strong last season but spent a decent amount of picks to do so. Who returns as an OA will be a big part of whether or not they are a playoff team.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
West Only:

Owen Sound
London
SSM
Sarnia
Kitchener
Windsor
Guelph
Erie
Saginaw
Flint

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I'll take a stab at it

Western

Soo
Owen Sound
Windsor
London
Sarnia
Flint
Saginaw
Kitchener
Guelph
Erie

Peterborough
Barrie
Hamilton
Kingston
Mississauga
Oshawa
Sudbury
North Bay
Niagara
Ottawa

Of course predictions at this point in time are like shooting blindly in the dark tons of things can happen between now and playoff time trades can be made, lineup issues, a few good weekends at key points in the season and anything is possible

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
I'll take a stab at it

Western

Soo
Owen Sound
Windsor
London
Sarnia
Flint
Saginaw
Kitchener
Guelph
Erie

Peterborough
Barrie
Hamilton
Kingston
Mississauga
Oshawa
Sudbury
North Bay
Niagara
Ottawa

Of course predictions at this point in time are like shooting blindly in the dark tons of things can happen between now and playoff time trades can be made, lineup issues, a few good weekends at key points in the season and anything is possible
I'm picking Niagara to be the biggest surprise in the OHL. 3rd in the East.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
East:
Peterborough
Mississauga
Hamilton
Oshawa
Sudbury
North Bay
Barrie
Ottawa
Kingston