2017-18 Roster Talk: Part Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Maybe you should make a poll if you think breaking up the best ES line since X-MAS has been a good move.

7-0
1-5
5-1
5-0

tenor.gif

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You wrote so much but said absolutely nothing.

Fact is, until Hakstol got here, Giroux was a monster in the playoffs.

Clearly, the change isn’t age related, seeing as he just had the best year of his entire career. So there’s no reason to think that he won’t go right back to the way he was, after he’s no longer constantly getting ****ed by the coach.

Yes, he was a monster six years ago, Filppula was a solid 3C two years ago.

Of course it's age related, Giroux was declining at center before he was injured last year, his rebound is not an accident, it's a direct product of moving to LW and being paired with Couts. And he had that CAREER YEAR IN HAKSTOL'S SCHEME.

All you have to do is watch the games and realize Giroux is not an elite player, he's smart, quick and agile, but lacks straight line speed and size. Against a team with fast, aggressive forwards who forecheck and backcheck he's struggling to find space.

At center, against Crosby or Malkin, it's an obvious mismatch, Crosby is too fast and Malkin too strong.
And then, who plays LW?
Raffl?
Lindblom (over his head in his first playoff series)?
Konency?

The reason people are blaming Hakstol (which is different than saying he's not to blame) is that they want the "magic coach" so they don't have to admit this team is two years away from being able to compete with top teams - just bite the bullet and admit the obvious. Without Couts, this isn't even a playoff team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
TK has 5 shots in 4 games in the playoffs....1.25 shots/game

From X-Mas-End of season 45 games 111 shots....2.47 shots/game

We have cut TK's shots in half with this move all while take the shooter away from 2 of our top 3 passers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And as I showed....in theirs it wasn't either. And these are 2 of the top 3 talents from the last decade that get to rely on each other.

The five years the Penguins missed the playoffs, 2011-15, Malkin and Crosby scored at the same rate as they did during the Cup runs.
The year Malkin didn't score he had a lower body injury going into the playoffs,
Penguins forward Malkin struggling while playing hurt
Crosby had a concussion plagued year in 2011.

Giroux was relatively healthy in 2016 and completely healthy this year. His problem is age.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The five years the Penguins missed the playoffs, 2011-15, Malkin and Crosby scored at the same rate as they did during the Cup runs.
The year Malkin didn't score he had a lower body injury going into the playoffs,
Penguins forward Malkin struggling while playing hurt
Crosby had a concussion plagued year in 2011.

Giroux was relatively healthy in 2016 and completely healthy this year. His problem is age.
Again...lies.

Giroix had surgery after the 2016 season....or did you just hope that got ignored? Maybe THAT had an impact?

"Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux has surgery a few weeks ago to repair his right hip and bilateral lower abdominal tear"

And Pitt MADE the playoffs from 2011-2015....so...

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So the excuse this year?

Giroux played 78 games that year and basically put up identical numbers to the year before, so those injuries weren't hampering him that much, it was the following season, after the surgery, when his play fell off.
His peak years were from 23-26, and I expected him to fall off more quickly than most players of his caliber because of his middlin' size/speed combo (i.e. less margin for error as he lost a stride).
Moving to LW has probably added 2-3 years to his career.

One interesting statistical quirk with Giroux, his Corsi is amazing consistent over the years, 2012-13 was the only year since 2010 when it wasn't in the 53-54% range.
This season he's had an unsustainable 17.6% shooting, against a career average of 11.3.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, he was a monster six years ago, Filppula was a solid 3C two years ago.

Of course it's age related, Giroux was declining at center before he was injured last year, his rebound is not an accident, it's a direct product of moving to LW and being paired with Couts. And he had that CAREER YEAR IN HAKSTOL'S SCHEME.

The fact that you think those two are at all comparable says it all. You're either 100% clueless or being dishonest in the hopes that someone is dumb enough to buy this garbage.

Filppula has shown all year that he's a walking corpse.

Giroux was 2nd in the entire league in scoring and set career highs across the board.

The only reason you're trying to bash him is in an attempt to defend Hakstol. It's incredibly transparent and pathetic.

Just like trying to pretend that Giroux had a career year because of Hakstol is a weak attempt, even for you. Nobody on the planet is stupid enough to believe that. Try harder.

All you have to do is watch the games and realize Giroux is not an elite player, he's smart, quick and agile, but lacks straight line speed and size. Against a team with fast, aggressive forwards who forecheck and backcheck he's struggling to find space.

Actually if you watched the games this year you'd see the exact opposite.

Is scoring the 2nd most points in the entire league an elite thing to do? I'd probably say it is.

He carried the team into the playoffs, despite the coach doing everything in his power to stop that from happening. I'm sure that infuriates you, but it's reality.

At center, against Crosby or Malkin, it's an obvious mismatch, Crosby is too fast and Malkin too strong.
And then, who plays LW?
Raffl?
Lindblom (over his head in his first playoff series)?
Konency?

The reason people are blaming Hakstol (which is different than saying he's not to blame) is that they want the "magic coach" so they don't have to admit this team is two years away from being able to compete with top teams - just bite the bullet and admit the obvious. Without Couts, this isn't even a playoff team.

I didn't say anything about Giroux at center. So no idea what you're babbling about here.

People are blaming Hakstol because you can easily see his incompetence getting exposed in this series. Everything from lineups to player usage to system.... all the way down the list.

If the coach had a brain, he'd have gone back to what worked all year. The thing that carried them to the playoffs.
But he refused because fossils like the two of you don't understand what's important in the NHL these days.

Heaviness? f*** off. :laugh:

Especially against the Penguins, that's the worst possible thing to do. And now he's doubling down on his stupidity and making the worst possible lineup for tonights game.

Remember how he only uses the garbage players because he has no choice? Will you finally admit you were wrong or continue to be a lying coward?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Again...lies.

Giroix had surgery after the 2016 season....or did you just hope that got ignored? Maybe THAT had an impact?

"Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux has surgery a few weeks ago to repair his right hip and bilateral lower abdominal tear"

And Pitt MADE the playoffs from 2011-2015....so...
It's a lack of integrity.

Flat out lying to try to weave a narrative.

Reactions: Tripod

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Maybe you should make a poll if you think breaking up the best ES line since X-MAS has been a good move.

7-0
1-5
5-1
5-0

i don't know what to say. If konecny moves up that top line, they are still getting dominated. I don't think his presence is going to make a difference one way or another. Atleast if he is on the 3rd line he is not hemmed into his own zone.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Giroux has the best possession stats this series of any Flyers forward. 57% CF% and 59% SCF.

Flip is one of the worst in the NHL this season.

Who gets hemmed in their own end? I'd rather put TK with the player guaranteed to spend o-zone time and the skill to extract his full value. No one is scoring. Best chance they have -- not to win of course, but to score more than 0 goals -- is that top line reuniting for a couple goals.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Giroux has the best possession stats this series of any Flyers forward. 57% CF% and 59% SCF.

Who gets hemmed in their own end? I'd rather put TK with the player guaranteed to spend o-zone time and the skill to extract his full value. No one is scoring. Best chance they have -- not to win of course, but to score more than 0 goals -- is that top line reuniting for a couple goals.

I have to say, I get the logic in putting TK with a guy like Flip because you hope TK activates Flip and creates balance since G doesn't typically need it... but we're scoring so little that I actually agree with top-loading the lineup (as you're suggesting).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Striiker talking to himself again. Where's the 4.0 GPA shrink?

Whether you match Filppula against Crosby and Giroux against Malkin or visa versa, does it really matter?
If Couts doesn't play, we're a bottom ten team.

And Patrick is playing valiantly, but he's not ready for these kind of matchups either.
Keep Giroux at LW, you're forced into these bad decisions.
Move Giroux to Center, you have a hole at LW.

Move Konency back to the first line and you're a two line team.
Which means on the road, Sullivan gets to choose matchups against scrubs for 20 minutes or so.

The point is our lack of depth is painfully obvious against a team like the Penguins, Sullivan can match his checking line against Patrick, Crosby against the Giroux line (which they've dominated) and Malkin against Filppula and Lehtera/Laughton, which in either case is a gross mismatch.

There's no genius coach that compensate for the disparity in talent.
At least with Couts in there, we have an outside chance, without him avert your eyes!

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Better to be a 3/4 line team that can't score than a two line team that can. Sound logic right there.

The penguins are already doing damaging but you're just conceding defeat by doing nothing. Doing something and attempting not to getting blown out of the water is better than getting blown out of the water. Not really hard logic to follow.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not saying do nothing, I'm saying our lack of depth presents bad trade offs, whatever choice you make.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I'm not saying do nothing, I'm saying our lack of depth presents bad trade offs, whatever choice you make.

Not sure how it could really get much worse. Its one thing to lose (which was expected) but they shouldn't be getting blown out and that falls on the coach to some extent.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Your top players don't show up, you lack any sort of quality depth at forward or on defense and your goalies suck.
Why shouldn't they be getting blown out?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Because the league doesn't have this much disparity and the Flyers aren't that bad? Worst teams have managed to beat the Penguins this season (Detroit, Carolina, and etc.). I get that it is playoff hockey but they also lost every game to the Penguins this regular season. Hakstol has admitted that his own judgement isn't great (not using time outs, not discussing with players what they did wrong, and etc.). The PK is a wreck and has been since Lappy took his job and Hakstol clearly doesn't think Lappy is a cause of that.

Top players do need to show and they need to show up more often not but sometimes your depth needs to carry the team and that's on Hextall (the depth) and somewhat Hakstol (player usage).

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

regardless our center depth this series is pathetic and causing problems. I just wish we had some sort of hart trophy candidate caliber center. hard to find those guys.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Striiker talking to himself again. Where's the 4.0 GPA shrink?

Whether you match Filppula against Crosby and Giroux against Malkin or visa versa, does it really matter?
If Couts doesn't play, we're a bottom ten team.

And Patrick is playing valiantly, but he's not ready for these kind of matchups either.
Keep Giroux at LW, you're forced into these bad decisions.
Move Giroux to Center, you have a hole at LW.

Move Konency back to the first line and you're a two line team.
Which means on the road, Sullivan gets to choose matchups against scrubs for 20 minutes or so.

The point is our lack of depth is painfully obvious against a team like the Penguins, Sullivan can match his checking line against Patrick, Crosby against the Giroux line (which they've dominated) and Malkin against Filppula and Lehtera/Laughton, which in either case is a gross mismatch.

There's no genius coach that compensate for the disparity in talent.
At least with Couts in there, we have an outside chance, without him avert your eyes!
You should be ashamed.

I pity you.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Striiker, an English professor at your college should have taught you by now not to use “clearly,” “obviously,” & other absolutes in your persuasive essays.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
this reminds me of married people that don't like each other but won't get divorced because they woulden't have anyone to argue with

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Now if we had added Kane...
Kane was a smart choice. Whenever you get a player that can produce on his own it's a always a great thing for your team. Kessel, Patrick Kane, Hall are similar. And just like someone mentioned Skinner in off-season thread, he is pretty much in next tier alongside e.kane.
Think of Moluson and Okposo in their pre Tavares days. If Sharks really go after him that's another smart pickup for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad