2017-18 Roster Talk: Part Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I thought Giroux and Voracke were carrying Hatkstol, so why should that change in the playoffs? :sarcasm:
Unless of course, the tighter competition of the playoffs exposes their limitations.

When the Penguins struggled in the playoffs, Crosby and Malkin scored at the same rate, it was the rest of the team that wasn't good enough. With the Flyers, the rest of the team hasn't been good enough since 2012.

When the Flyers struggle in the playoffs, it is Ghost and Voracek and Simmonds and Ghost whose output fell off precipitously - and don't point to what Giroux did four or six years ago as evidence that he's still a great player.

Giroux
2010-12, 44g 19-31 50
2014, 7g 2-4 6
2016, 2018, 10g 0-2 2

Filppula for example,
2008-2011, 68g 14-28 42
2015-2016, 43g 5-16 23 (31-32 years old, or older than Giroux)

Doesn't mean Giroux can't contribute in the future, but as a supporting player, not a lead dog.
That's what we've learned this year.

The future belongs to the kids, and Hextall should approach this offseason with that in mind.
The one temptation to be resisted is to add some veterans because we're just a couple players away.
We're more like 6-8 players and a couple goalies away.
Striiker won’t like it. I don’t like it. But I agree. And that’s painful.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

How My Lineup Would Look

Line 1: Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Line 2: Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek

This top 6 was great down the stretch and never should have been broken up. It will only be better next year due to further improvement from the young guys.

Line 3: Raffl - Frost - __________
Line 4: Martel - Laughton - Aube-Kubel

Laughton is a not a NHL center, LW or trade him.
Martel is not a NHL player, he's not even a top AHL player, that fast start was a mirage. Once his S% regressed to the norm, so did his production.
At least MV or Knight have a chance to contribute on a 4th line, but to me they should be 13th forward types, "in case of injury, break glass."
Which is why I'd sign one veteran forward to a short-term deal and trade for a young forward to fill out the bottom six.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I thought Giroux and Voracke were carrying Hakstol, so why should that change in the playoffs? :sarcasm:
Unless of course, the tighter competition of the playoffs exposes their limitations.

When the Penguins struggled in the playoffs, Crosby and Malkin scored at the same rate, it was the rest of the team that wasn't good enough. With the Flyers, the rest of the team hasn't been good enough since 2012.
Again...lies.

Crosby
2014 13 games....9 points.....57 point pace
2015 5 games....4 points....66 point pace
2106 24 games...19 points...65 point pace

Malikin
2015 5 games....ZERO POINTS
2016 23 games....18 points...64 point pace

Even in years where they went far, these 2 were playing below their normal level as you can see so maybe it WAS other guys helping them too.

This also shows that the top players DO have bad playoffs...or series's. So why are people so shocked that it could happen to our guys?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Again...lies.

Crosby
2014 13 games....9 points.....57 point pace
2015 5 games....4 points....66 point pace
2106 24 games...19 points...65 point pace

Malikin
2015 5 games....ZERO POINTS
2016 23 games....18 points...64 point pace

Even in years where they went far, these 2 were playing below their normal level as you can see so maybe it WAS other guys helping them too.

This also shows that the top players DO have bad playoffs...or series's. So why are people so shocked that it could happen to our guys?

Because in giroux’s case its not just 1 series

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I thought Giroux and Voracke were carrying Hakstol, so why should that change in the playoffs? :sarcasm:

When the Flyers struggle in the playoffs, it is Ghost and Voracek and Simmonds and Ghost whose output fell off precipitously - and don't point to what Giroux did four or six years ago as evidence that he's still a great player.

Giroux
2010-12, 44g 19-31 50
2014, 7g 2-4 6
2016, 2018, 10g 0-2 2

Filppula for example,
2008-2011, 68g 14-28 42
2015-2016, 43g 5-16 23 (31-32 years old, or older than Giroux)

Doesn't mean Giroux can't contribute in the future, but as a supporting player, not a lead dog.
That's what we've learned this year.

The future belongs to the kids, and Hextall should approach this offseason with that in mind.
The one temptation to be resisted is to add some veterans because we're just a couple players away.
We're more like 6-8 players and a couple goalies away.

You wrote so much but said absolutely nothing.

Fact is, until Hakstol got here, Giroux was a monster in the playoffs.

Clearly, the change isn’t age related, seeing as he just had the best year of his entire career. So there’s no reason to think that he won’t go right back to the way he was, after he’s no longer constantly getting f***ed by the coach.

Hakstol wants them to play against the Pens in the worst possible way and this is the result.

He took one of the best lines in the league and ruined it so that the team would be heavier, slower, and more unskilled when playing against and extremely skilled, fast, and aggressive team.

We never had a chance to win, but with what Hakstol did we didn’t even have a chance to make it close.

You have nothing at all to back up Giroux no longer being a “lead dog”. Physically, he’s fine. Skill-wise, he’s fine. Mentally, he’s fine. Nothings changed for him individually between now and back then, except he’s better than he was, if anything. So clearly they problem is an outside influence.

Reactions: Rebels57 and JPS

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Because in giroux’s case its not just 1 series
And as I showed....in theirs it wasn't either. And these are 2 of the top 3 talents from the last decade that get to rely on each other.

No one is saying Giroux or Jake have played well. They haven't. But you know that also hasn't helped? Your boy Raffl.

It's INSANE that the best ES line in hockey from X-Mas onward....was broken up with 2 games left AND has not been tried at ALL in this series. Simply disgusting coaching.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
And as I showed....in theirs it wasn't either. And these are 2 of the top 3 talents from the last decade that get to rely on each other.

No one is saying Giroux or Jake have played well. They haven't. But you know that also hasn't helped? Your boy Raffl.

It's INSANE that the best ES line in hockey from X-Mas onward....was broken up with 2 games left AND has not been tried at ALL in this series. Simply disgusting coaching.

Ok dramaqueen just because i see the importance of spreading the wealth does not mean I prioritize raffl over tk.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Side note....on the main boards a LA fan said they would trade:

Carter for Simmonds+ 1st

Would you do that? I sure as hell would!

Giroux Couts TK
Lindblom Patrick Jake
Frost Carter Allison

Run that for a few years until Frost is ready to take over at C. He moves to C...Ratcliffe to LW. I am drooling...

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are you about to have another meltdown? Or have you just resorted to name calling now?

How has that spreading worked?
Some have been failing to defend that idiotic lineup change for weeks now.

Can't admit that the 3rd line is a lost cause and it's obviously smarter to give the top line a real chance to score.

One good line + one horrible line > two horrible lines.

Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Side note....on the main boards a LA fan said they would trade:

Carter for Simmonds+ 1st

Would you do that? I sure as hell would!

Giroux Couts TK
Lindblom Patrick Jake
Frost Carter Allison

Run that for a few years until Frost is ready to take over at C. He moves to C...Ratcliffe to LW. I am drooling...

In a heartbeat, and I still hate Carter for his 2011 season lol

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
1 point in 6 games for TK since the move.

Damn good?

:huh:

But on yhe goal it was an individual effort. Something he is capable of. Konecny has also had a variety of chances he just hasn’t been able yo convert like the one where he flubbed the juicy rebound. He has been getting chances

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But on yhe goal it was an individual effort. Something he is capable of. Konecny has also had a variety of chances he just hasn’t been able yo convert like the one where he flubbed the juicy rebound. He has been getting chances
Maybe you should make a poll if you think breaking up the best ES line since X-MAS has been a good move.

7-0
1-5
5-1
5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad