Injury Report: 2017/18 Puck off the Foot Report (Upshall out indefinitely)

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I said this same thing at the end of last yeah. I said i’d tell them if you arent 15 LBS heavier by training camp, then just stay home.
It's not that hard to be 15 lbs heavier, but adding and retaining 15 lbs of muscle in a standard NHL offseason (using training cycles that address things beyond adding pure mass like sport specific explosiveness, quickness, cardio, etc.) would be very difficult to do, especially for someone who isn't a new lifter. They likely only have about 4 to 6 weeks to actually add that mass.

They could have a non-standard training cycle, but the extra few weeks would come at the expense of something else that's important for their on ice play.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It's not that hard to be 15 lbs heavier, but adding and retaining 15 lbs of muscle in a standard NHL offseason (using training cycles that address things beyond adding pure mass like sport specific explosiveness, quickness, cardio, etc.) would be very difficult to do, especially for someone who isn't a new lifter. They likely only have about 4 to 6 weeks to actually add that mass.

They could have a non-standard training cycle, but the extra few weeks would come at the expense of something else that's important for their on ice play.

That might be tough considering what you outlined. 4-6 weeks isn’t enough. Probably why NHL players arent beefy. I remember seeing Shanny with his shirt off once. I was like damn, he’s supposed to be one of the bigger guys? He looked skinny. I’m a pretty avid lifter, so maybe my opinion is different than some.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
adding 15 lbs of muscle in the off season really isn't that realistic.
Adding a lot of muscle can make skating more difficult if not done right. You need lean muscle and not bulk. The muscles have to perform the essential hockey functions and I am not sure adding a ton in one offseason will produce a more functional player. So, I agree. 10 lbs of muscle seems about the most that players can gain without detriment.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Ozzie Smith did it. you need 12 weeks to do it IMO. Lift heavy and increase your calories is how its done. It wont be all muscle, but thats ok.
Baseball is not hockey. Hockey players need to be more fit. And I would argue that fine and lean muscle building is way more important than simple bulk gains.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

The timeline certainly doesn’t help. And the emphasis on a specific way of building further complicates that.

As an aside, I would love if Tarasenko changed his offseason plan. His skating and endurance seem to be taking hits.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
That might be tough considering what you outlined. 4-6 weeks isn’t enough. Probably why NHL players arent beefy. I remember seeing Shanny with his shirt off once. I was like damn, he’s supposed to be one of the bigger guys? He looked skinny. I’m a pretty avid lifter, so maybe my opinion is different than some.
It's obviously not a one-size fits all thing, but the general approach is usually a short rest period after the season ends, followed by 4-6 weeks of hypertrophy training, then 4-6 weeks of power/explosiveness training, then 4-6 weeks of sport specific training. The length of each period varies depending on the length of the offseason, whether short recovery breaks are needed between each period of training, and what the player needs to focus on the most.

Since you're an avid lifter, I'm assuming you know the difference between training for hypertrophy and training for power, but if someone else wants clarification on that front I can elaborate for them.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Ozzie Smith did it. you need 12 weeks to do it IMO. Lift heavy and increase your calories is how its done. It wont be all muscle, but thats ok.
Different Sports different off seasons. And most hockey players want a leaner muscle and adding fat weight isn't always the best for pros. As well as possibility of messing up balance and conditioning.

(I got a lot of this info from a friend who is a bodybuilder, so if I'm wrong I'm sorry)

Reactions: Alklha

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think there is a false equivalency here, too, that weight = strength. There are things that Sanford can do that will allow him to be stronger on his skates so he can avoid getting knocked off the puck so easily and win board battles without losing the flexibility that bulking up might cancel out. We don't want him to lose the ability to do some of the things he can do handling the puck just to make him harder to knock off the puck.

Right now he is listed at 6'4" and 207 pounds. For comparison, Getzlaf is 6'4" and 223 pounds, but as an older player (relatively speaking) I would guess he is carrying 10-15 pounds that he doesn't really need to. Sanford could be plenty "hockey strong" at his current weight or at 210-215 pounds.

Reactions: Alklha

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
It's obviously not a one-size fits all thing, but the general approach is usually a short rest period after the season ends, followed by 4-6 weeks of hypertrophy training, then 4-6 weeks of power/explosiveness training, then 4-6 weeks of sport specific training. The length of each period varies depending on the length of the offseason, whether short recovery breaks are needed between each period of training, and what the player needs to focus on the most.

Since you're an avid lifter, I'm assuming you know the difference between training for hypertrophy and training for power, but if someone else wants clarification on that front I can elaborate for them.

Yeah, I’m sure their training is different than mine. But to add mass, there’s only way to accomplish it... lift heavy and eat more. Pretty simple. Most people always wonder why they don’t gain muscle/mass/weight. It’s because they don’t eat enough. Same with losing weight. If you aren’t losing, eat less.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Adding a lot of muscle can make skating more difficult if not done right. You need lean muscle and not bulk. The muscles have to perform the essential hockey functions and I am not sure adding a ton in one offseason will produce a more functional player. So, I agree. 10 lbs of muscle seems about the most that players can gain without detriment.

I agree. Adding about 10 lbs of muscle in one off-season is about all that can be added relatively smoothly. Even then, it will take some months of play afterward, to get used to the new bulk in skating, and using body leverage. I did that from age 15 to 16, and 16 to 17, and it felt strange carrying that extra weight. Sanford and Thompson are both at that stage of turning from late teenagers to young men, and have recently added a fair amount of weight. They will add more this coming off season. Their bodies will also continue to mature, to be able to carry more weight, and their coordination will need to "catch up" to their bodies' changes. I don't think Sanford could add 15 lbs in 6 weeks. If he DID do that, it wouldn't be mostly muscle, and his skating might be hurt by carrying the extra weight, but his not having adapted to it. It would throw off his timing, and probably make him slower until he'd get comfortable with it. I'd guess it will take him 2 or 3 years to "fill out", and grow into his body (frame). No reason to rush him. He's not going to become a superstar the minute he becomes big enough and strong enough to be an effective NHL forward. He'll have to learn how to use that new body.

Reactions: Celtic Note

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
As an aside, I would love if Tarasenko changed his offseason plan. His skating and endurance seem to be taking hits.

Tarasenko already has. In previous years, he was always competing with Reaves for strongest on the team. I don't recall where exactly I read it, but this last offseason he stopped focusing on bulking up to be the strongest on the team. Whether that translated to working out less, or focused on different areas, or nothing at all who knows.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Tarasenko already has. In previous years, he was always competing with Reaves for strongest on the team. I don't recall where exactly I read it, but this last offseason he stopped focusing on bulking up to be the strongest on the team. Whether that translated to working out less, or focused on different areas, or nothing at all who knows.
So what you're saying is we need to sign Reaves this off-season and Tarasenko will score 45 next year.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
That is if Sosh can realize going head first into everything isn't always the greatest idea. hahaha
Yeah, my biggest concern with Sosh, is that he spends half of his time sitting on the ice. It doesn't matter how feisty you are, you're not going to be effective if you keep getting knocked off the puck. Sosh needs to bulk up a bit, I think.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Yeah, my biggest concern with Sosh, is that he spends half of his time sitting on the ice. It doesn't matter how feisty you are, you're not going to be effective if you keep getting knocked off the puck. Sosh needs to bulk up a bit, I think.
I'm more talking about his tendency of getting injured.

This is one of his injuries. Literally missed a hit and went head first into the board.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Ouch! If he hit that board the wrong way, his neck would have been broken! Poor Sosh. You have to admire his spirit, though! I thought of a nick-name ... let's call him Sushi!! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad