Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
UMass gave Makar the "C" for next season. Not surprised by this, the guy always had a good head on his shoulders.

Actually it seems like they're doing co-captains by the sounds of it.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Timmins' team is going to the OHL final after winning last night. Anyone know how he has been playing?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Timmins' team is going to the OHL final after winning last night. Anyone know how he has been playing?
I watched him earlier in the playoffs, but he looked good. Nothing groundbreaking, but his usual "highly intelligent plays with the puck while looking insanely awkward because of his skating stride". However, not sure I buy the remarks about how some people in the Avs organization thought he could be playing in the NHL right now. He definitely needs a full season in the AHL like Rantanen to get transitioned to the speed and physicality that plays are made with pro players IMHO. Hayton is freckin awesome though, surprised that some scouting places still have him in the 20's - every time I watch him he's a riser for me.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I watched him earlier in the playoffs, but he looked good. Nothing groundbreaking, but his usual "highly intelligent plays with the puck while looking insanely awkward because of his skating stride". However, not sure I buy the remarks about how some people in the Avs organization thought he could be playing in the NHL right now. He definitely needs a full season in the AHL like Rantanen to get transitioned to the speed and physicality that plays are made with pro players IMHO. Hayton is freckin awesome though, surprised that some scouting places still have him in the 20's - every time I watch him he's a riser for me.

Good to hear. Him starting the season with the Avs might be too soon but it wouldn't surprise me if he's up at some point next season.

Any thoughts on Sandin?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Good to hear. Him starting the season with the Avs might be too soon but it wouldn't surprise me if he's up at some point next season.

Any thoughts on Sandin?
I knew you were going to ask about him, hahaha. Not too sure what I think of him at this present moment of time. I mean I like him, but I think Timmins does the heavy lifting for him in the defencive where he's able to play his game. He's more on the smaller side and has all tools you want for an offencive defender, except I am not a huge fan of his shot. If you're one of the people who doesn't want Hughes on this club because of too many "smaller OFDs" quota, you definitely do not want Sandin. If you're not part of that crowd, trading back and grabbing him in the 20's wouldn't be bad by any means. Not sure he's a player I like at 16th overall as of now, but I really hope his team makes the Memorial Cup to see him against the best of the best from the CHL.

As for Timmins, I tend to go the Detroit route with prospects as you probably know. There is no doubt he will get some time with the Avs next season, but I personally hope that Avs tell him to get a place in Loveland and just focus on his game the entire year. I don't want him to get into the "if I make a mistake I am going to get sent down" which impacts players and something Rantanen didn't need to worry about.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I knew you were going to ask about him, hahaha. Not too sure what I think of him at this present moment of time. I mean I like him, but I think Timmins does the heavy lifting for him in the defencive where he's able to play his game. He's more on the smaller side and has all tools you want for an offencive defender, except I am not a huge fan of his shot. If you're one of the people who doesn't want Hughes on this club because of too many "smaller OFDs" quota, you definitely do not want Sandin. If you're not part of that crowd, trading back and grabbing him in the 20's wouldn't be bad by any means. Not sure he's a player I like at 16th overall as of now, but I really hope his team makes the Memorial Cup to see him against the best of the best from the CHL.

As for Timmins, I tend to go the Detroit route with prospects as you probably know. There is no doubt he will get some time with the Avs next season, but I personally hope that Avs tell him to get a place in Loveland and just focus on his game the entire year. I don't want him to get into the "if I make a mistake I am going to get sent down" which impacts players and something Rantanen didn't need to worry about.

Do we really want to wish that hell on anybody? :naughty:

Reactions: cgf

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He was pretty impressive last night. Kinda blends in on a team with so much talent but he definitely shows his skill when he wants. He almost walked the entire team last night in OT and scored just by dancing around the Ozone. He’s been solid all round.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I wouldn't say I'm completely against taking a smaller OFD but ideally I'd prefer not to unless it's just too good of a situation to pass on. I don't have any opinion on Hughes as a player but I guess I wouldn't want him if the Avs were picking somewhere in the top 10 because there would likely be better options and fits. However, I'd probably be more than happy with him if he somehow fell to the Avs because at 16 his talent/potential would be too good to pass on.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@Avs_19 Understandable, personally speaking I've been on the Hughes train all season and if we're in the top 10 he's way too good to turn down (yes even over Wahlstrom). Considering where we are now, I think I much rather have the faith in a player dropping such as Wilde, Dobson, Farabee, or Hayton. This sort of kills the smaller offencive debate as there are not those defenders ranked around us. I mean Avs could definitely reach there and I would love to pick up Merkley, but that riles people up which I do try to avoid. :sarcasm:

Sandin is interesting to bring up because as we've seen in the past with other teams, once you have a player one "x team", you tend to send more scouts to watch his development. If that team has another really good prospect as the Soo do with Sandin, you'll eventually see him a lot more than a team who doesn't have your prospect on. Now mix in the chances that Sandin is not only a really good prospect, but your team's partner on defence, you'll have a damn good idea on how good this guy will be in the future. This is one of the reason's why I would not be shocked if Sandin somehow ends up being our pick.

Do we really want to wish that hell on anybody? :naughty:
Hahaha, but I actually think that of the tri-cities of FoCo, Greeley, and Loveland, Loveland is the best. FoCo is becoming smug like Boulder and you living up north probably heard the rumours of what Greeley is. :sarcasm: I will admit it is definitely the residential part of the three, while Fort Collins probably has the fun aspects since it's a college town.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
@Avs_19 Hahaha, but I actually think that of the tri-cities of FoCo, Greeley, and Loveland, Loveland is the best. FoCo is becoming smug like Boulder and you living up north probably heard the rumours of what Greeley is. :sarcasm: I will admit it is definitely the residential part of the three, while Fort Collins probably has the fun aspects since it's a college town.

I actually lived in that area a while (and my ex was from Greeley)... Fort Collins > Loveland >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Greeley.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hahaha, but I actually think that of the tri-cities of FoCo, Greeley, and Loveland, Loveland is the best. FoCo is becoming smug like Boulder and you living up north probably heard the rumours of what Greeley is. :sarcasm:.

latest

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It really seems like the Greyhounds are getting some brutal goaltending so far in these playoffs.

Seems like every time I check the scored they're giving up 3 or 4+ goals on only 25-30 shots. With how strong of a roster they have and how dominant they were in the regular season it's a surprise to see them have to go through two game 7s already to reach the final and be trailing 1-0 in the final right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad