Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
UMass will be a top 10 team if Makar comes back. Should even come close to the tournament without him.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Makar going deep in the tournament next season would be great for his development. Hope it happens.

@henchman24 can you fill me in on the Avs and Notre Dame?
Is there any sort of special connection there that I am not aware of?

I just found out that both Leivermann and Clurman will play there next season.

Add Morrison and that seems like one hell of a coincidence unless the Avs have a special relationship with Notre Dame somehow.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I won't state the relationship because of the crapstorm that it might create, but there is a solid connection there. To the point where it wouldn't shock me if Jackson became the head coach here one day.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Yeah let's Charlie McAvoy Makar. Let him Stay an extra year, dominate the league, let him step into the NHL ready to make an impact.

Reactions: JoemAvs

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
What Ferarro doesn't remember is that McAvoy was drafted out of the NCAA and he's in his 20 year old season right now.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Makar, but going from the AJHL to the NHL in two calenders seems like far too big of a jump, we're already seeing Makar's translation from 1 level effect his numbers, again let's let him dominate the NCAA for a year, makes no sense burying him on the 3rd pairing in the NHL.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'll wait until the end of his season approaches before I judge what I'd like to see happen with Makar. These next few months tend to be the biggest for NCAA freshman making a transition.

UMASS has only scored 46 goals this year and Makar has been in on 9. That's not bad at all for a teenage defenseman coming out of junior A. That's likely going to go up in the coming months.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I still think it is too early to be definitive with Makar either way. If he comes back from the WJC and just dominates the NCAA... I wouldn't be completely opposed to signing him. But if he just plays good, I think he should stay for another season. The talent isn't the question at all with Makar, and I think people are confusing that a bit. He has a rawness to his game that just needs some refinement. The rawness that is there will cause coaches at different levels to hold him back until it can be smoothed out. We are seeing it now with Ducharme, we will see it with Bednar. At UMass, he is allowed to play his game and figure out how to apply his talent... another year of that won't be a bad thing.

As for the comparison for McAvoy to Makar... not all prospects are the same, and they definitely shouldn't be given the exact same timelines. McAvoy played at a higher level than Makar to begin with, was really good in his draft year in college (better than Makar's freshman season IMO), and dominated his sophomore year. That said, Makar's trajectory won't be the same... McAvoy was never a raw player. His game was always sound and he just needed to build up some strength to play his game at higher levels. Makar is a talented player that just needs to fully figure out how to apply his talent most effectively... he doesn't need the raw strength aspect. That isn't his game. Once his mind gets wrapped around how to be the most effective, his game will take off very quickly. A downside of that though, is he will have to re-learn it again when he gets to a higher level and it will take a bit more time. Just different sorts of prospects and they should be handled differently.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For the love of God please let Makar play another year in the NCAA. Just please. Hench is absolutely right he needs to get some of his rawness ironed out.

Honestly the time table to sign them should be...

- Bowers: After Junior year
Even though he's shown to be more offencively potent than originally thought, I think he's a player that should not be rushed. Lets over-saturate him and let him play important minutes. Rights expire in 2021.

- Clurman: After Senior year
Every possible year is needed for me. He has the tools and mobility and skating to become a modern NHL player. However, he is probably the most raw player Avs have drafted in the along time or even ever. He's from Colorado, so maybe he's less of a risk to walk as a UFA, but we will never know until we get to that day. Rights expire in 2021.

- Leivermann: After Junior year
He's shown the offencive potential in the BCHL to be further ahead of other prospects following the same path. Granted he probably should've played in the BCHL last year, no hurt for him to spend an extra year developing. Because of the unique path, we get his rights for 5 years instead of 4 says Capfriendly, wow! He might be worth the gamble to sign him a year early instead of risking him to UFA. Rights expire in 2022.

- Makar: After Sophomore year
Just needs more overall time to play against men and understand the pro game, which should take one more year. After that, we can put him with the Eagles and watch him adjust to the pro game even more. For me, there is no need to rush him. Rights expire in 2021.

- Morrison: After Junior year
He's on pace to put up the same amount of points, which isn't necessary a good thing, but isn't a bad sign either. Maybe because a lack of progression he should be given all four years, but it could also be too risky as well. That is why I think we should just sign him after his third year regardless of what happens. Rights expire in 2020.

- Smirnov: After Junior year
Unlike Morrison, Smirnov's talent is already too good for the NCAA. He's putting up an additional 0.20 points per game on top of his career 1.25 PPG average in college (for 1.43 PPG currently). Not only that, but it could be realistically higher if he didn't miss time due to his mysterious illness. Another year to gain more muscle mass, improve his play away from the puck, and skating ability is all that is needed. No need let him go to his senior year for me. Rights expire in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Makar himself has stated an intention to stay "at least" two seasons in school. I'm fine with him staying, but I also don't think it's the end of the world if he goes pro this offseason either. Sounds like Timmins will make the jump next season with a contract reportedly in the works as we speak, so there's that.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Makar himself has stated an intention to stay "at least" two seasons in school. I'm fine with him staying, but I also don't think it's the end of the world if he goes pro this offseason either. Sounds like Timmins will make the jump next season with a contract reportedly in the works as we speak, so there's that.
Not doubting you , just curious as to when Makar said this . Recently?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Agreed on Morrison SEPH. His production not going up with a bigger role is concerning, but he's got potential still and should be treated like we did Compher, IMO. Aggressively try to sign him after 3 years to make sure he doesn't have a chance to test free agency. Clurman and Leivermann we can let stew, and Makar should stay another year rather than join the minor league logjam at RD on the Eagles.

Timmins, IIRC, has to go to the AHL next year due to his age. It's a no-brainer to sign him after the year he's having, even aside from the WJCs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Morrison has bounced around his role a little bit. He is having a disappointing year, no doubt, but college hockey can be tough... there have been plenty of players who had ups and downs and still have gone on to careers in the NHL. I wouldn't be in a real rush to sign him... after junior or senior year is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad