2017-18 Pro Tank Thread Part II: I tell all my bros, Tank it up. Break it down, blow it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So how many more losses until we fire up the tank avatars?

Christmas theme
148530.jpg

size0.jpg

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
If Florida and Edmonton can win their games tonight we'll only be 4 points from third last in the league.

Next game against Nashville so should be a loss as well.

With that happening now we're 4 points from third last. By next week we could realistically be down there with Arizona lmao

Reactions: Jack Burton

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
It's going to be an uphill battle trying to out-tank Arizona...
Buffalo sunk down below Arizona pretty quickly. I believe in the Tank. As long there is garbage on this roster, we will keep losing more often than winning. Nice to see a little reality set in for this team. Couldn't ride the sky high save percentage, shooting percentage and soft schedule forever. Full steam ahead!

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Canucks did a quick field repair on the tank tread and now we are back in motion.

Kinda like using ratchet straps to fix an argo tread... balls deep in a swamp.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Finishing last overall is nice, but isn't necessary. The Canucks just need to secure a top-3 pick and the season will be a success, especially given the progress we're seeing from young players we've already got.

Best way to secure a top-3 pick is finishing last though. Sure you can still drop to 4th, but you have the best possible odds of staying in the top 3. Thank you, Edmonton Oilers for screwing us completely with the new lottery rules coming into effect the first year we were really bad.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Best way to secure a top-3 pick is finishing last though. Sure you can still drop to 4th, but you have the best possible odds of staying in the top 3. Thank you, Edmonton Oilers for screwing us completely with the new lottery rules coming into effect the first year we were really bad.

It's not the Oilers who screwed us, it's all the whiny fans who pressured the NHL to change something. The Oilers were bad, very bad, due to incompetent management. As such, and with a bit of luck, they were drafting first overall for several years. They earned those 1st overall picks by virtue of being so poorly constructed. We now have management on that level.

I honestly don't really care about the first overall pick this year. That's not my main objective. What I want to see is new management. Top to bottom wholesale changes in the front office. If that required losing our first round pick so be it. But this team cannot go any further with Linden and Benning.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
It's not the Oilers who screwed us, it's all the whiny fans who pressured the NHL to change something. The Oilers were bad, very bad, due to incompetent management. As such, and with a bit of luck, they were drafting first overall for several years. They earned those 1st overall picks by virtue of being so poorly constructed. We now have management on that level.

I honestly don't really care about the first overall pick this year. That's not my main objective. What I want to see is new management. Top to bottom wholesale changes in the front office. If that required losing our first round pick so be it. But this team cannot go any further with Linden and Benning.

You know what, I agree.

The system was fine, people just took the wrong lessons from the Oilers. They deserved those players after suffering through those awful years. The NHL took the Oilers to mean "tanking doesn't work" rather then "incompetence in management matters". GMs and then the Media didn't want to do any self reflection and the GMs went with that narrative, and the Media went with the management teams because hockey media is incredibly bad.

Scorevat53

Sep 16, 2015
Manitoba
Benning needs to go, the only thing I have liked so far is the Dahlen trade, and the Pettersson pick. We need a top 5 pick this year and badly. I would love for us to get Dahlin, or Boqvist on the back end. Yet, I wouldn't complain about Svechnikov. This is a strong draft. WE MUST KEEP THE TANK UP.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You know what, I agree.

The system was fine, people just took the wrong lessons from the Oilers. They deserved those players after suffering through those awful years. The NHL took the Oilers to mean "tanking doesn't work" rather then "incompetence in management matters". GMs and then the Media didn't want to do any self reflection and the GMs went with that narrative, and the Media went with the management teams because hockey media is incredibly bad.

Yup. People thought Edmonton was tanking for all those years, but that wasn't really the case. Their GM's were just idiots who built bad hockey teams. The tanking narrative is just the easy copout everyone uses whether or not they understand what happened in Edmonton or if they're just too lazy to do any real analysis.

If you're a team that's really this bad for this long you deserve those top picks. The salary cap has a way to prevent this from occurring long-term because eventually those highly drafted players will be making too much money that the team wouldn't be able to afford to keep them all. In the Oilers case, poor drafting and poor team construction is what kept them down.

Scorevat53

Sep 16, 2015
Manitoba
Just Curious, I haven't really noticed it, but are people a fan on Green? or would everyone prefer a different head coach? Personally I don't mind him, but he is very vague.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Getting closer in closer to team tank. Dahlin would be a nice prize :)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Green is pretty much playing guys based on their contracts, which isn't surprising. Loui $6, gagner $3, vanek $2 are all going to be in the lineup if healthy.

Leaves a rotation of Jake, burm, gaunce as the scratches.

Canucks are where I expected them to be.

Playoff teams I am not surprised to see LA back, Cal in. Vegas is a shock. Ana should improve once they get healthy so they are staying.close. SJ will be borderline. EDM, surprised they are this bad. AZ no surprise. Too young up front and inexperienced in net as starters. Then the central, surprised stl is as good. Schenn has been great. Winnipeg finally delivering. Nashville made a nice addition. Chi, min, dal, and even cool in the hunt.

In nets, they have been good. Nilsson lost at least 1 start due to birth of his baby, the Det and Cal b2b. All others was a coaches decision.

D, had injuries as per usual. Survived them. Pouliot has been good at times and meh others. No offense from the back.

Forwards, B line better than we could have hoped. Green using Sutter appropriately, along with Dorsett. Granny and gaunce slide into the last checking line role.

Twins, being used wisely. Low ice times when opposition has a top 1st line. Matches Sutter against them. Outside of a recent uptake in PP points, twins generate minimal goals at ES. As expected. Felt they would combine for.around 80 points, down from the 94 from last season.

Then down to the mis mash line of Loui, vanek, gagner, and whomever else they rotate in like burm when Loui plays with the twins. Loui playing better recently. Vanek has been good. Gagner hasn't fit in.

They lack a skilled C to help bring out Jake and Goldy. So, not surprised they don't get into the lineup or get much ice time.

Hopefully, it will be gaudette or pettersson who can do that. Need to flush out the overpaid guys.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Just Curious, I haven't really noticed it, but are people a fan on Green? or would everyone prefer a different head coach? Personally I don't mind him, but he is very vague.

He's probably going to get hired for a second HC job in the NHL after he leaves the Canucks, which is a lot more than you could say about his predecessor. He's a savvy guy, he knows he can't just turn the team over to the kids and live with the standings, even if that's what's best for the franchise long-term. He needs to make sure he keeps the team competitive enough that his own reputation doesn't tank. That's the only way he gets a second job in the NHL. And so we see him pushing Jimbo to load up on vets, and we see Jake playing down the lineup and Goldy in the AHL, etc.

I'll still take basic competence over whatever the f*** Willie was doing, so I'd rather have Green.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He's probably going to get hired for a second HC job in the NHL after he leaves the Canucks, which is a lot more than you could say about his predecessor. He's a savvy guy, he knows he can't just turn the team over to the kids and live with the standings, even if that's what's best for the franchise long-term. He needs to make sure he keeps the team competitive enough that his own reputation doesn't tank. That's the only way he gets a second job in the NHL. And so we see him pushing Jimbo to load up on vets, and we see Jake playing down the lineup and Goldy in the AHL, etc.

I'll still take basic competence over whatever the **** Willie was doing, so I'd rather have Green.

Yeah Green is fine for the moment. For everything people complain about there's probably a net positive to be found, like reducing the Sedin's ice time or keeping Sutter on the 4th line. It's hockey, regardless of who the coach is you're always going to find the fans complaining about something he's doing.

Overall though he seems like at least a moderately competent coach, and a vast improvement over Willie. I also like how it seems he's pretty detatched from current management. Like while it didn't connect on everything Desjardins seemed to have a certain synergy with Benning/Linden creatnig a 3 stooges type environment. Benning overpays for Sutter as if he's a good 2nd line center, and Willie shows his aggreement by giving him all the prime icetime, stuff like that. Seemed the only time Willie didn't collabarate in this manner is when it came to the kids like Virtanen and McCann.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Not a fan, I would replace him tomorrow for someone with even a wiff of a track record in development.

Green tries to play low event hockey, very pro-vet/pro-grinder. Only successful season was when he had a stacked veteran roster. Even then, he could have played McCann/Virtanen/Hutton. Green set a precedent that year, to not play that years available 1st rounder, funnily enough all those 3 players made the NHL team, hard to believe that they couldn't have replaced even bottom 6 AHL players.

These are all objectively true statements. Even if you think Green is a good coach, he's not a good fit for this team and he wasn't a good fit for Utica. He is a win now/pro vet coach, that's not someone who I want to coach a development team. His style as a coach does not fit with the current atmosphere of the team, this market doesn't want to see low/event hockey, they want exciting hockey, which is high event. In my opinion, Green should have been let go as soon as he took his pro-vet stance in Utica. You simply cannot have a coach who takes a stance against development to lead your development team. But those are just my opinions, which have stirred people up in the past.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Not a fan, I would replace him tomorrow for someone with even a wiff of a track record in development.

Green tries to play low event hockey, very pro-vet/pro-grinder. Only successful season was when he had a stacked veteran roster. Even then, he could have played McCann/Virtanen/Hutton. Green set a precedent that year, to not play that years available 1st rounder, funnily enough all those 3 players made the NHL team, hard to believe that they couldn't have replaced even bottom 6 AHL players.

These are all objectively true statements. Even if you think Green is a good coach, he's not a good fit for this team and he wasn't a good fit for Utica. He is a win now/pro vet coach, that's not someone who I want to coach a development team. His style as a coach does not fit with the current atmosphere of the team, this market doesn't want to see low/event hockey, they want exciting hockey, which is high event. In my opinion, Green should have been let go as soon as he took his pro-vet stance in Utica. You simply cannot have a coach who takes a stance against development to lead your development team. But those are just my opinions, which have stirred people up in the past.

You think Green plays low event hockey? WD had the Canucks laying back and playing low event hockey. Green at least has this mediocre bunch playing faster and pushing the pace on most nights with a better system in place and he at least plays matchups and has finally paired down the Sedin ice time. The guy is a smart coach with a solid NHL future whether you like all his moves or not. I don't always like the handling of Virtanen either but overall Green has done fine with this team.

Green is coaching with veterans like most coaches would, coaching for ownership and management that are trying to make the playoffs. If you want a bigger youth movement, like i do also, that has to be a mandate and commitment that comes from ownership and management first. None of the moves the GM made this summer set Green up for that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You think Green plays low event hockey? WD had the Canucks laying back and playing low event hockey. Green at least has this mediocre bunch playing faster and pushing the pace on most nights with a better system in place and he at least plays matchups and has finally paired down the Sedin ice time. The guy is a smart coach with a solid NHL future whether you like all his moves or not. I don't always like the handling of Virtanen either but overall Green has done fine with this team.

Green is coaching with veterans like most coaches would, coaching for ownership and management that are trying to make the playoffs. If you want a bigger youth movement, like i do also, that has to be a mandate and commitment that comes from ownership and management first. None of the moves the GM made this summer set Green up for that.

Absolutely this team plays low-event hockey.

We're t-26th in the NHL right now in total goals/game (for and against). 26th in the NHL offensively. We're 31st in the NHL in total ES goals for/against per game. Literally the lowest-event ES team in the sport. We have the lowest-scoring blueline in the NHL. We were playing a no-offense shutdown line 18-20 minutes/game when they were healthy.

It's crazy how fans are swallowing up this notion that Green is a high-octane offensive guy and is 'activating the defense more' and the rest of this BS. Like, Green runs a tight bench and is a good coach. But he is absolutely not an offense-oriented guy. At all. We're a defensive team trying to win games 2-1. Same as what Utica's been for the last few years.

The team is a little better than last year and overall scoring is up league-wide, so this might be part of the reason for this false perception. But it's crazy, and just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad