GWT: 2017-18 Premier League Round 7

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Based on this game Chelsea don't have it to compete for the title. Just simply outclassed by City
They probably won't win the title, but there is some context to this game obviously. Chelsea just played Atletico on Wednesday with mostly the same squad, and that was a pretty brutal grind over 90 minutes. Not quite the same as playing Shakhtar on Tuesday. No doubt City is better, but they should be with how much Pep has spent over the last two seasons. With that transfer budget, if they don't win the title this year Pep should be gone.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
They probably won't win the title, but there is some context to this game obviously. Chelsea just played Atletico on Wednesday with mostly the same squad, and that was a pretty brutal grind over 90 minutes. Not quite the same as playing Shakhtar on Tuesday. No doubt City is better, but they should be with how much Pep has spent over the last two seasons. With that transfer budget, if they don't win the title this year Pep should be gone.

Football is a cruel cruel sport.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
XG chart. Have to wonder if Morata doesnt go down the game was even to that point...

And like I said, Chelseas centerbacks were insane today.

Attachments

• DK_f7sSXcAAR9Ko.jpg
    DK_f7sSXcAAR9Ko.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 8

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
De Bruyne is a genius, one of my favorite players. Didn't Courtois also take his wife? I'm sure he's very happy to score on him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah the title is going to Manchester this year; either that is City or United is the question that remains...

Gotta love Bernardo Silva, signs to remain on the bench; what a stupid move by him.

Dumb video, Kane is an awesome player and is proving everyone wrong, but four goals against a recently promoted side is stupid way to convince someone.

Please make me understand this Chelsea fans because I simply do not know what Conte is doing. Willian is a substitute as he's not good enough for the starting XI. Morata gets injured and Willian replaces him while he moves Hazard to CF, BUT yet he instructs Willian to take the free kicks? Like what the ****?

Similarly to Arsenal, they got absolutely demolished in the midfield part of the pitch. Chelsea's is what Man City's were a couple years ago. A lack of mobility, a lack of talent, and a lack of youth.

Silva is like the Spanish guy who signed with them a year ago and never played? What's his name?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bringing Willian on for Morata was clearly a poor decision. He is far too passive to play the role they were asking of him there. If you can't figure out why Willian takes free kicks though, I can't help you.
By all means, have Willian continue to take free kicks and keep on losing matches. They're not my club, but if they were I would much rather have Hazard who possesses night and day difference in technical attributes like curve take the free kicks. It's not like Hazard has this insane heading ability to want to keep him constantly in the box. At Arsenal we have Sanchez, Xhaka, and Ozil take the free kicks because none of these guys are going to win headers like other players can.

Silva is like the Spanish guy who signed with them a year ago and never played? What's his name?
I don't mind him moving to a club like Man City, but his decision was awfully too premature. He should have been loaned back to Monaco until next season at least.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
By all means, have Willian continue to take free kicks and keep on losing matches. They're not my club, but if they were I would much rather have Hazard who possesses night and day difference in technical attributes like curve take the free kicks. It's not like Hazard has this insane heading ability to want to keep him constantly in the box. At Arsenal we have Sanchez, Xhaka, and Ozil take the free kicks because none of these guys are going to win headers like other players can.
We won the title last season and 3 seasons ago with Willian taking plenty of free kicks, but thanks for your concern. Free kicks is one of his best strengths and he has scored some fantastic goals over the years with them.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I just tuned in for the Hammers game around the 75th minute and after 10mins of dreadful football, Sakho scores the lucky punch. Wow.

Count yourself lucky you were only subjected to 10 minutes. They were rightly booed off at halftime and I don't care how many of these 1-0 wins they squeak in (and against a side with an ounce of attacking quality I doubt they'd have gotten this one), but Bilic has totally lost it. Nothing is coherent about this squad and they offer almost nothing going forward. I'd sack him tomorrow. This isn't Huddersfield, there are talented players here that are just not being put in positions to succeed.

I suppose it's worth giving the squad a look now that Lanzini is fit (dear God do we need him), but I haven't seen anything that signals any trend upward. Next few fixtures against bottom sides will be the test for Slaven.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Alli's dive was comical yet only gets him a yellow.

Up 3-0 and pulls that garbage. Not going to get it out of the game until serious punishments are handed out.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
What is wrong with Silvas shaved head? I think it looks pretty good, even almost inspiring me to shave my own head.

Observation: Man City have a lot of shaved heads

Edit: This website is a lot more sophisticated on the front end. Look at all that jQuery - you can highlight text from other posts and reply to only that highlighted text... That is sort of neat

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Not too sure about the Matic thing. Think we would have struggled the same.

Ederson is better than lloris. @Evilo tell me I'm wrong

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Count yourself lucky you were only subjected to 10 minutes. They were rightly booed off at halftime and I don't care how many of these 1-0 wins they squeak in (and against a side with an ounce of attacking quality I doubt they'd have gotten this one), but Bilic has totally lost it. Nothing is coherent about this squad and they offer almost nothing going forward. I'd sack him tomorrow. This isn't Huddersfield, there are talented players here that are just not being put in positions to succeed.

I suppose it's worth giving the squad a look now that Lanzini is fit (dear God do we need him), but I haven't seen anything that signals any trend upward. Next few fixtures against bottom sides will be the test for Slaven.
That's my major concern aswell. I mean, everyone knew this squad would lose a lot of offensive & creative power with Payet's departure, but as soon as Lanzini isn't healthy, it turns straight into BFS football at it's best. Those grinded 1-0 wins won't help you all season long and aren't a reason to count on this team. Something i'm still a little torn about is Bilic's decision to give Noble most of the starts in midfield. He's the skipper, but he isn't the best available option and Obiang often enough showed, what he's capable of. . Ah well, it's the West Ham way, a little bit of dreadful football, hopes & tears.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Yeah totally reasonable response, I forgot just how good he's been this year. In past years he has not brought it in the UCL at all.

I mean, he has only played a total of five games in the CL. Two goals in three games last year (quite good) and five goals in two games this year (fantastic)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think you can definitely make a case for Kane being top 5, maybe top 3 depending on how you classify the position.

Also Ederson really impresses me as a keeper. He's perfect for City, too.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yes, you can make a case for Kane being top 5 if you class every borderline case (Dybala, Cristiano) as not a CF, and you really overstate the slow start to the short season by others (Benzema, Suarez). How you can ask if he's the best in the world is beyond me.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The Kane comment made me laugh. Apart from scoring against Dortmund, he's scored against the likes of Everton, West Ham and Huddersfield in the league and then against a Cypriot side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad