NCAA: 2017-18 Playoff/New Years Six Watch

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
You were right about the loss costing them. I thought they would value the wins and the championship more but guess not.
I do think that Alabama is clearly the better team by the eye test and I think that was the committee saw too.

Who did Alabama really look good against though? They looked poor against the only good team they played this season. Going by the eye test, I actually think OSU is better.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
tbh it's just a tough sell to put in a 2-loss team who lost to a 5-loss team by 31-points. That L to Iowa defined their season and rightuflly weighs a ton.

If OSU loses to Iowa by 14, they likely get in. You can't get dunked on for 55 points by a midcard team and lose to them and expect to get into the playoff, especially when the other team involved is the team who was ranked #1 for 13 out of 14 weeks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
After this was a mess, everything ended up as it should be. Ohio State aside from having 2 losses, the B1G was down, especially after Penn State tapered off

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
After this was a mess, everything ended up as it should be. Ohio State aside from having 2 losses, the B1G was down, especially after Penn State tapered off
psu didnt taper off. they lost by a combined 4 or 5 points in back to back road games in the toughest part of the schedule. glad delaney got no one in the CFP after he didnt back psu last year. he was singing a different tune this year with a 2 loss osu deserving to be in the CFP.

Reactions: Cody Webster

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Orange: Wisconsin vs Miami
Fiesta: Penn State vs Washington
Cotton: Ohio State vs USC
Peach: Auburn vs UCF

And everyone knows the playoffs.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Wow. I sure hope so.

Georgia-Oklahoma should be a great game though. Baker Mayfield vs what I believe is the best defense in the nation. I thought this would be the NCG, but Wisconsin losing pretty much locked OU and UGA into a semi-final match-up.

I would be surprised if Georgia won that game. I don't think their offense is good enough to expose OU's questionable D and their D will probably allow 30-40 points which is almost certainly going to be too much. I don't see any way either team bears Clemson or Alabama anyway

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That being said, I do wish that if the college playoffs are expanded to eight, that they specifically codify the following:

Power five conference champions + at least one non-power five team + two remaining highest ranked teams.

Bam, conference champions are rewarded, a non-power five school can still get in, and the door would still be open for highly ranked 1-loss power five schools as well.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That being said, I do wish that if the college playoffs are expanded to eight, that they specifically codify the following:

Power five conference champions + at least one non-power five team + two remaining highest ranked teams.

Bam, conference champions are rewarded, a non-power five school can still get in, and the door would still be open for highly ranked 1-loss power five schools as well.

Completely agree with this. It makes everything important. I could not agree more. I think when they talked about the playoffs, this made the most sense then, too.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Congrats to all 4 schools on making the playoffs especially my Crimson Tide. That said they got to expand this to 8. 4 is to small for the amount of quality schools that are there.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I would be surprised if Georgia won that game. I don't think their offense is good enough to expose OU's questionable D and their D will probably allow 30-40 points which is almost certainly going to be too much. I don't see any way either team bears Clemson or Alabama anyway

Really? I see Alabama as a distant 4th in this playoff. I think any of the other three would take care of them. Hurts and that offense are not very good. I don't think Georgia's defense gives up more than 30 against Oklahoma, they're really solid. I figure something like 30-27 for the Sooners.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'd hate to see the playoffs expand to 8, personally. It would diminish the importance of the regular season too much. The great thing about college football is that there's almost no margin for error. 1 loss can put you on the brink, and two losses almost always ends your season. If the playoffs expanded to eight teams you end up with scenarios where two loss teams are getting in and even the odd three loss team might still have a chance.

Ironic that the Big 12 adding a championship game only serves to hurt them. Oklahoma would have been in anyway, and now TCU has been stiffed for the Fiesta Bowl in favour of Washington.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I would be surprised if Georgia doesn't win. They are loaded on defense and their offense will do enough.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The committee sent a message:

Schedule doesn’t matter. Resume doesn’t matter. Top 5-10-15 wins? Doesn’t matter.

Alabama by beating nobody and running up the score: Eye Test.

Schedule Mercer in November.

Basically, unless Alabama loses 2-3 times ala 2010, the playoff might as well be renamed “Alabama and 3 others”

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I don’t care what anyone says- Clemson/Alabama AGAIN feels stale and played out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
OSU got in last year over PSU, when OSU was in the same situation as Bama. So, in that sense, they can't really argue with the decision since they were the beneficiaries last season.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the idea for an 8 team playoff has always made sense. And I was all-in at the time Boise beat Oklahoma. It makes Conference Champs mean everything, as it should. It gives at-large bids for conferences that are strong, as SEC deserves. How many leagues had a high seed make a run and it turn into an amazing story? 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers is one of the best stories for the NFL. Jerome goes home and wins a SB at home in Detroit. Beauty. They wouldn't even be welcomed to the playoffs :laugh: Nashville last year was one of the best things for the NHL. The crowds were crazy and it was must-see tv every night. It happens every single year it seems.

Hell could you imagine the Washington Capitals automatically be given a playoff berth every year to the final four? :laugh:

So many tears.

Just for the record.. what team do you represent? I am not a regular around here. I just like to complain about my QB - JT. :laugh:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
ESPN wanted Bama, so the committee gave them Bama. That said, Bama is the best out of tOSU, USC, UCF and Wisconsin, so the pick does make sense. But I'm hard pressed to believe the committee isn't heavily lobbied by ESPN.

I will say though that for a year in which the Rose Bowl is a playoff game, the committee made up for it with the Cotton (USC v tOSU) and Fiesta (Penn State vs Washington) matchups. Those are going to be good games. Even the Holiday Bowl with Wazzu and Sparty should be entertaining.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And as an OSU fan, I would understand that we don't fit the eye test. I completely understand that. But don't sit there and tell me that Bama does. I watched their games. IF their name wasn't Alabama, they wouldn't be let off with that easy schedule. You saw what an easy schedule in Wisconsin did to them. Because of that easy schedule, they weren't given much love at all. But Bama was? Come on..

I think all 3 teams, USC/OSU/Bama did not deserve the #4 spot. So I would have gone with the very best resume. I'd take all the names off the top of the resume, and I'd pick the very best resume. That would have been USC. Bama/OSU would have played a bowl game to kill one another in anger.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
You can say what you want about Alabama. But they weren't blow out by a mediocre team from a poor division.

Wisconsin may have been unbeaten until last night. But they played absolutely no one good until last night either. Ohio State needed to make a statement last night. Not just win.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad