2017-18 OUA Men's Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA, U Sports, and other college' started by northvanman, Jun 15, 2017.

1. northvanman

northvanman Registered User

Management Consultant
    Lakehead's schedule is up:

http://www.thunderwolveshockey.com/schedule.asp

According to the write-up on Lakehead's website, this year they are only playing 4 games against OUA East teams and 24 against West teams. More focus on intra-division games was talked about last year, but I never saw anything that said it was actually happening. Overall, I think this is a good thing, although it is going to create some imbalances in schedules and the West standings in particular have been really bunched together over the past few years, and this new schedule format will probably make a difference.

They also highlight that on Feb 9/10 Lakehead hosts Waterloo and Laurier, which is the first time in team history that they have a had different opponents at home on the same weekend. The other interesting quirk in Lakehead's schedule is that they have 2 road trips where they play 3 games in 3 nights.

2. Hollywood3

Hollywood3 Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

So the OUA regular season starts in September?

3. northvanman

Management Consultant
    If they are only playing 4 games against the OUA East, the Sept games against UOIT must be pre-season. I'm guessing the Oct 6/7 games against Concordia are also pre-season. And the Dec 28/29 games against Guelph are exhibition. Lakehead has never been good at indicating non-conference games on their schedule.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  4. northvanman

Management Consultant
    Still nothing posted on the OUA site, but Waterloo's schedule is up and it's interesting. Based on Lakehead's schedule, we knew that the division crossovers were reduced from 10 to games last year to 4 this year, but the unbalanced schedule within the West makes me think the OUA may be going back to the old 4 division format:

http://www.athletics.uwaterloo.ca/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

In the West, Waterloo plays

Laurier 4X
    Windsor 4X
    Western 3X
    Lakehead 3X

Ryerson 2X
    Toronto 2X
    York 2X
    Guelph 2X
    Brock 2X

Plus 4 games against East teams

This lines up like Mid West and Far West divisions. If this is in fact what they have done, in part to reduce travel, it's curious that they didn't flip Guelph and Lakehead. Lakehead is flying into Toronto anyway and Guelph is 25 minutes away from Waterloo.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  5. northvanman

Management Consultant
  6. Hollywood3

Odd start. McGill plays two games before anybody else. Very staggered start to the season.

7. lmnop

lmnop Registered User

I'm new to this level of hockey but trying to immerse myself in it. I'm Toronto based so there are lots of options. I'm working on a piece about the Varsity Blues. Anyone with pointers, tips or who just wants to discuss the game feel free to PM me!

8. Hollywood3

The U of T has a rich history. I would start with Wikia:

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Toronto_Varsity_Blues

There are links to many sites in that page. I helped compile a lot of it. There are stats going back to the 1800s, photos, the whole bit.

9. lmnop

lmnop Registered User

This is great. Thanks for linking.. and compiling.

10. BadgerBruce

BadgerBruce Registered User

Brock University head coach, Murray Nystrom, resigned on Tuesday, after 18 years at the helm.

https://brocku.ca/brock-news/2017/07/brock-sports-parts-ways-with-hockey-coach/

Nystrom truly is one of the good guys in the game, a coach who earned the respect of the hockey community by treating everyone with respect. He's a first-class guy.

Lots of rumours floating around Niagara . . . Ice Dogs head coach, Dave Bell, and Nystrom both resign on the same day?

Here's hoping MN lands on his feet and continues to set a great example for players wherever he ends up.

11. northvanman

Management Consultant
    So the OUA has finally published their 2017/18 playing regs and page 4 explains the rather odd structure of the conferences and schedules.

http://www.oua.ca/sports/mice/Hockey_Regulations_-_M_-_2017-18.pdf

Each conference has two, 5 team "groups" which are used for the purpose of geographic scheduling. This is very similar to the old Far East/Mid East/Mid West/Far West division structure, except that these groups have no relationship with the conference standings - the two groups just get tossed together into one set of conference standings. And then the top 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs, just like last year.

The potential for weird things to happen is high....As an example, I can see a scenario where Queen's ends up first in the Eastern conference - not because they are the best team (maybe they will be) - but because they play a bunch of games against UOIT, RMC, Laurentian, and Nipissing, while McGill, UQTR, Carleton, and Ottawa play a bunch of games against each other. Add to this that there are only 4 conference crossover games this year - and therefore more imbalance in schedules, and the potential for the "best" teams not ending up at the top of the standings, or a "deserving" team missing the playoffs is there in way that it wasn't last year. Should have gone back to the 4 divisions.

12. AdamMcg83

AdamMcg83 Registered User

Home Page:
    I disagree - this was the only way to ensure that the proper 8 teams make the playoffs. In the 4-division format, one of OTT/CAR/QUE/UQTR/McG would be assured of missing the playoffs, while two of LAU, NIP, and RMC would make the playoffs. Not to mention, it gives a good team in a weak division (Queen's, for instance), a much easier path to at least a bronze medal game for a trip to nationals.

This is pretty similar to how the league operated in the mid-to-late 2000's for a couple seasons - they had four divisions, but the divisions had no real playoff implications: division champs got the #1 and #2 seeds, while the next best 6 teams got in as well. Effectively the same thing, but without divisions listed on the standings page.

13. Drummer

Drummer Better Red than Dead

Network Design Engineer
    There maybe some imbalance or 'poor' seeding at the end of the year, but a deserving team will still make the playoffs. For example, Carleton may have a tough go of it having to play McG and UQTR a lot, but I don't see them dropping out of the top 8 in the east, they may be as low as 6 or 7. They still make the playoffs - but, unfortunately, lose home-ice advantage.

I preferred the other solution myself - a balanced schedule with the top 2 and the next best 6. This came about when people saw UoT making the playoffs with a 7-17 record in the Mid-East while Ottawa and Concordia were on the outside with >500 record in the Far-East.

14. MiamiHockey

MiamiHockey Registered User

2003-04 ... RMC makes the playoffs in the Mid-East with a 3-20-1 record, while McGill misses in the Far East with a 9-9-4 record. That was when Ryerson was God-awful (RMC's 3 wins included 1 victory over Toronto, and 2 over Ryerson). That season was what really initiated the discussion. It took a few years, mainly because RMC actually became competitive the following season, and consistently produced 10-win seasons to mitigate the argument.
    The balanced schedule was favoured by the Head Coaches, but opposed by Athletic Directors because it implied more travel, The switch back to the imbalanced schedule has really come about as a cost-saving measure.
    It's not likely to impact who makes the playoffs, as the worst two teams will still probably come from the Mid-East group. It will almost certainly impact the seedings though, and there's a good chance we'll see Queen's at the top of the Eastern Conference.
    In related news, expect greater parity in the East. RMC is vastly improved, with a recruiting class of 11. They're young and hard-working, and I would not be surprised to see 10 wins out of RMC this season. That might even be enough to get them into the playoffs.

15. Rob

Rob Registered User

Home Page:
    Ryerson has submitted a bid for the Nationals in 2019.

16. AUS Fan

AUS Fan Registered User

Joined by UPEI and Acadia. Rumor has it that Halifax "should" get the Memorial Cup. If this is the case, no Nationals for Acadia.