2017-18 OUA Men's Hockey Thread

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
My question is how does no one in U Sports or UQTR notice this before now? It’s been almost a year. Seems like a colossal oversight. I am curious what the reaction of other teams is right now?

The Schools, not USPORTS, over see eligibility compliance. USPORTS sets out the regulations & process and enforces the rules when it has been drawn to their attention that an athlete might be ineligible, but they do not actively review each athlete's file.

So - a program's approach & due diligence is only as good as the process and staff they have doing the work. Certainly a black eye in this case for UQTR

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I agree 100%, Drummer.
These forfeitures are meaningless unless UQTR misses the playoffs. All it does it mess up the entire conference and hurt other teams, whereas UQTR still gets a shot at the University Cup.

Exhibit A: RMC
RMC beat UQTR 3 times ... whereas Nipissing and Laurentian both lost to UQTR. So, RMC actually gets punished (as compared to its rivals) by having beaten UQTR?

Exhibit B: McGill
McGill gains little from having beaten UQTR, but now could face them in the first round! How is that remotely fair to McGill?

The only meaningful sanction is for UQTR to miss the playoffs. Of course, if we know anything it's that the OUA lacks leadership, so I don't expect that to happen.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
This also happened in the CW with Calgary. Lethbridge split with the illegal Dinos. UBC was crushed twice by the same team. Now UBC leads Lethbridge (barely) in a playoff race. So RMC's big wins now mean nothing because they would've had them anyhow.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
I am blown away that Coach didn’t take ownership earlier and allowed said player play 20 games. I don’t blame player at all but coach. It’s absolutely ridiculous and I know players on UQTR are extremely ticked off at coach.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
There is a HUGE difference between this and what happened in Calgary.
UQTR used this player last year, including in a playoff game. Those results cannot be retroactively changed, and yet there is no consequence to UQTR for what they did last year.
Based on this, what's to really stop a team from using an illegible player all through the playoffs, knowing there will be no consequences once the season is done?
UQTR needs to be banned from the playoffs.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
First off, I was unaware about the January 10 cutoff rule in the OUA, but no coach should be unaware.

A long time ago teams like UNB used to have Junior Varsity teams, and probably then student-athletes could be "called up" to play for varsity teams. But that was then.

In this case, the UQTR student-athlete was playing Junior hockey and U Sports hockey at the same time (or went back to Junior after his "call-up" to UQTR), because UQTR was short bodies. Doesn't make it right; the coach should know better, and they broke the rules.

I also didn't know that a OUA/USports player ruled ineligible has to sit out the next year and therefore cannot be added to a roster. Second strike for UQTR.

For me, no question that UQTR should be banned from the playoffs. If they had forfeited games in the second half last year as they should have, the first round playoff pairings would have been different. Now this year, the pairings are going to be disrupted again as UQTR will be a normal high seed occupying a low seed spot, therefore giving a high seed a much tougher opponent than they are entitled to play.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
First off, I was unaware about the January 10 cutoff rule in the OUA, but no coach should be unaware.

I think you were aware of the rule, as we all know players can be added during Christmas, it just happens that the particular end-date for additions, in early January, is not widely known.

The first part of the problem is the reporting that this is an OUA rule - this is a CIS/USPORTS rule. It's in the first (god dam) paragraph of the eligibility document for Hockey.

rules-hockey-e.jpg

The second part is the coach, a 5th year veteran coach, saying he wasn't aware - how can you not be aware!! It's the first rule of recruiting in the CIS/USPORTS, you have to have your players in by Christmas or you don't bother. And - how does a coach not know that a player can't play on two teams at the same time at anytime in the season?

For me, no question that UQTR should be banned from the playoffs.

Yup - absolutely

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I agree, they shouldn’t be eligible for this year’s playoffs. Hopefully they get knocked out in the first round.

There is no way their coach didn’t know, and the fact he hasn’t come out and taken the blame/responsibility for this (as far as I know) speaks volumes IMO.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I agree, they shouldn’t be eligible for this year’s playoffs. Hopefully they get knocked out in the first round.

There is no way their coach didn’t know, and the fact he hasn’t come out and taken the blame/responsibility for this (as far as I know) speaks volumes IMO.

He should have known. However, whether he did or not is impossible to say.

FWIW, it is my opinion that other than being a registered student, I loathe any other criteria. If a team has injuries in February and recalls a player previously cut, I see no problem. Players cut should be encouraged to play junior or senior hockey off campus.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Wild West continues to follow it’s given name. Should be interesting how last two week pan out as playoff picture is still unclear

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Guelph beat York tonight solidifying first place for them in the West.

Both the East and the West have three teams tied for the last playoff sport. UQTR, Laurentian and RMC in the East. Toronto, Waterloo and Windsor in the West.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
There's a really good chance UQTR misses the playoffs all on their own. Right now, there's a 3-way time between UQTR, RMC, and Laurentian for the last playoff spot in the OUA East. UQTR has two games left (both on the road - @ Ottawa and Carleton), and Laurentian and RMC both have 3 games left. If UQTR does not get any points in their last two games, they are out because RMC and Laurentian play each other the last game of the season.

Just for fun, there is also a 3-way tie for the final playoff spot in the OUA West between Toronto, Waterloo, and Windsor - all have 3 games left. The West is shaping up like it has for many years now - any of the top 6 could end up taking the division, with Western the hottest team in the second semester at 8-0-1, after a very uneven first semester and their worst year last year since the 1970's.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Laurentian gets the last playoff spot in the East. Windsor in the West.

Carleton vs Ottawa in the opening round. Hopefully that series gets some buzz in the city.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
McGill 5 Laurentian 2 - Four fighting majors at the end of the game so obviously there'll be some suspensions handed out. Saturday's game could be the same once McGill gets the lead late.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Good tilt between Concordia and OUIT, stingers close out series sweep with 3-2 win in o.t.
Ottawa beats the Carleton Ravens and forces game 3 .
Not sure if former X-Men Eric Locke played? I only saw a few minutes of this one, but it was all Gee Gee's, as they were up 4-0 in the third period.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
As usual, the West seems to be a toss-up again this year - the teams are all so close. I thought that Guelph separated themselves from the rest of the OUA West down the stretch and I had a feeling going into the playoffs the division was theirs to take. May still be. Windsor has had a really up and down season, but took two games from Western last week, who had - prior to that - not lost in regulation since before Christmas. Guelph handled Windsor fairly easily in Game 1, but Windsor played the game they needed to in their win last night. I'm thinking the winner of this series may end up facing McGill in the Queen's Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->