2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
This was clear as day last year. Not surprising to hear it now, especially since he already said as much in the interview that got everyone riled up earlier this summer.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
http://www.tsn.ca/doughty-talks-defence-his-future-1.893464
“Bottom line, I want to stay in L.A.,” Doughty said. “That’s my home, that’s my favourite team my entire life growing up. The organization is the best organization in hockey, in my opinion. We still have a great team, great core group and I don’t want to leave L.A.”

The Kings are off to their best start in franchise history, which has created a positive vibe in the dressing room.

“It’s unbelievable,” Doughty said. “We’re having so much fun. This is the most fun I’ve had playing hockey since we won the Stanley Cup.”

Doughty already has three goals and three assists this season and is enjoying the new system implemented by Stevens.

“This year the difference is our coaches are adamant with our forwards to use that fourth man, d-man, in attack and we want that fourth man up all the time,” Doughty explained. “These guys are aware of us being there every time and now they’re looking for us.”

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/la-sp-kings-doughty-20171023-story.html
A media scrum set up camp around Drew Doughty’s locker well before the Kings defenseman emerged in a suit.

Doughty is from the Toronto area and has always been popular here, but he became a huge topic in the summer when he suggested, in an interview with the Hockey News, that he might leave the Kings if they’re not contenders. That, in turn, sparked speculation that Doughty might someday pull on a Maple Leafs jersey.

Doughty shot that down before training camp began, and did again Monday morning before the Kings played Toronto when asked about his contract, set to expire after next season.

“To be honest, it’s not on my mind at all,” Doughty said. “I know that interview in the summer kind of turned some heads and churned some questions. But the bottom line, I want to stay in L.A.”

Reactions: King'sPawn

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I actually think is it very unlikely that we lose Drew Doughty now that Blake is GM. Blake knows Doughty's position better than anyone. I have a feeling he is going to relate to him and give him the moon to stay.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
From Elliotte Friedman’s 31 thoughts column:

21. I was intrigued during the summer when the Kings hired Pierre Turgeon as a kind of “offensive co-ordinator.” Head coach John Stevens said this week “people got the idea of someone upstairs calling plays, but it’s more like (assistant coach) Don Nachbaur creating the structure and Pierre working within that” to find ways to give them better opportunities.

Stevens uses the phrase “Freedom of Discipline” to describe it. It’s the discipline of having a system, but the freedom to manoeuvre within it.

One thing Turgeon believes in is attacking from below the goal line, which we are seeing more and more of around the NHL. Teams who have played them say the Kings look very different, especially in terms of how much more active the defencemen are up-ice without the puck.

22. Turgeon told an interesting story about joining the St. Louis Blues at age 27. He used a 120-flex stick then, and Brett Hull told him it “was the worst stick in the league. When he tells you that, you listen.”

By the end of his career he was using an 80-flex. It’s instructive, because it shows how you are never too old to learn. He has willing students in Los Angeles. Tanner Pearson revealed that Turgeon changed his one-timer, explaining Hull’s philosophy of holding your arms out like with a golf club.

When asked, Turgeon showed how when your arms are too close to your body, they can rest or hit against your hips, which affects your ability to move, rotate and/or extend. Alex Iafallo said Turgeon worked on his release, particularly how to change up targets on particular goalies.

Adrian Kempe, who scored his fourth of the year against Toronto, “looks like he’s on the verge of a major breakthrough,” according to one executive.

24. Mentioned Iafallo a week ago about how the Kings appeared to have found a good one as an NCAA free agent. He said his other two finalists were Buffalo and Minnesota.

25. Good story about Oscar Fantenberg, the free-agent defender Los Angeles brought over from Sweden. When he visited the Kings last season, they wanted to hide him so no other teams would know. Unfortunately, they sat him near play-by-play voice Bob Miller, who was shown on-camera. Suffice it to say, the secret was out. As other NHL clubs vultured in, the Kings were able to hold on and sign him.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
From Elliotte Friedman’s 31 thoughts column:
24. Mentioned Iafallo a week ago about how the Kings appeared to have found a good one as an NCAA free agent. He said his other two finalists were Buffalo and Minnesota.

I remember reading a host of clubs were interested in his services.

Also had a few looks with other organizations attending development camps (Tampa and Boston).

Iafallo grew up a Sabres fan and went to the Frozen Four with his dad in 2003.

"It's emotional to say no to the Sabres, but at the end of the day I just kind of looked at the right opportunity for me, obviously growing up in Buffalo I've always wanted to play for Buffalo, but just seeing where I was, on left wing, LA needed speed and I'm excited to be a part of the organization," Iafallo said.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/iafallo-signs-with-la-kings/432311707

It was a real good get by the Kings. He's going to be a solid NHLer.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Montreal is awful. They do have the horses but they are missing the character to do anything about it. First firing of the season coming way early this season.

Hell I don't even think they have the horses. They have no centers and in the back there is Weber and a bunch of meh. The only strong part of the lineup is in net. They should keep the coach and fire the that put this roster together. But I hope they keep the GM as he is one of the worst in the game today.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
One more reason it's tough to go out and try and grab a replacement for Carter? Or even add a top 6 guy to Carter? Not only is Doughty is a UFA in 2019, but Kempe is a RFA in 2019. Another one, Iafallo is also a RFA in 2019. If either, or both of those guys keep doing what they're doing, they may not get a huge contract, but it'll be something. Of course it depends on what they do. If Kempe scores 50 goals in the next 2 years, he'll get a decent deal. In addition to the probably close to doubling of Doughty's deal. Brown will still have 3 years left on his contract after 2019, and hopefully he'll still be back from the dead. If he's not, Kempe and Iafallo could be even more important. Gaborik will still have 2 years.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I doubt the Kings have anything in the works for a center, at least not right now. They'll try stuff first.

Iafallo can also play center, and eventually I think he'll see some time paired with Kempe. AI is doing fine on the first line, but he's facing much tougher matchups there. He's far better at face-offs than Kempe is right now, and I think their speed and creativity on a 3rd scoring line would cause matchup problems. Camm would do fine next to Kopitar and Brown, or Gaborik if he comes back, etc. On the road, other teams will be burning their top two D pairings on Kopitar and Carter, leaving the 3rd line to show their stuff. Stick Lewis with them and they would be awfully difficult to contain, that's a lot of speed. Put Shore with Clifford and whoever on the 4th.

That's a pretty deep roster right there, health permitting.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Damn, some f***ing honesty. I love it.

Goes to show to all the people who acted like Sutter wasn't a problem were out to lunch. It was so boring watching the games, imagine how that felt for the players playing it. I'm very proud of the organization for cutting out Sutter and DL. And bringing in a new philosophy.

Really cool to see how Turgeon is effecting the team. Really awesome. He must be helping a lot cause the players are even executing it differently.

Deep roster for sure. When Carter comes back it should go great, and I have no doubt that when Gaborik plays again he will do good too. This is his kind of style. It should suit him well.

Reactions: BehindEnemyLines

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Futa was on Hockey Central earlier this week and was asked about Carter and possibly looking around to replace him. He said the Kings are not looking in the direction and have pieces within to fill that need. But he wouldn't tip his hand , so that wasn't a surprise. If the right player was available for a fair price, I think they'd do that .

Shame Shipachyov isn't a few years younger, now that the KNights are looking to move him. He's a very skilled top 6 center and I'm sure there will be a few teams making calls to Vegas.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Futa was on Hockey Central earlier this week and was asked about Carter and possibly looking around to replace him. He said the Kings are not looking in the direction and have pieces within to fill that need. But he wouldn't tip his hand , so that wasn't a surprise. If the right player was available for a fair price, I think they'd do that .

Shame Shipachyov isn't a few years younger, now that the KNights are looking to move him. He's a very skilled top 6 center and I'm sure there will be a few teams making calls to Vegas.

I’d be more interested in Marchessault, who Vegas also doesn’t seem too interested in.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I’d be more interested in Marchessault, who Vegas also doesn’t seem too interested in.

I don't know about that, he lost some time due to injury but I think now that he's back in the top 6 and on special teams, he'll do just fine.

Knights winning 7 of their first 8 games, first time in the 100 yrs of the NHL that's happened and that's impressive. And they're playing well on special teams, they lose their top 2 goalies and not even a bump in the road, Dansk steps right up. Fun team to watch and they have a great 4th line. Very impressed by their play, they are a line that Gallant is leaning on and they are thriving.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Damn, some ****ing honesty. I love it.

Goes to show to all the people who acted like Sutter wasn't a problem were out to lunch. It was so boring watching the games, imagine how that felt for the players playing it. I'm very proud of the organization for cutting out Sutter and DL. And bringing in a new philosophy.

Really cool to see how Turgeon is effecting the team. Really awesome. He must be helping a lot cause the players are even executing it differently.

Deep roster for sure. When Carter comes back it should go great, and I have no doubt that when Gaborik plays again he will do good too. This is his kind of style. It should suit him well.

Would anyone go with this lineup when Carter and Gaborik get back...

Brown--Kopitar--Carter
Pearson--Kempe--Toffoli
Cammy--Iafallo--Gaborik
Clifford--Shore--Lewis

3rd line has some soft wingers but Iafallo help them control the play and fish the puck well

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Brown--Kopitar--Carter
Pearson--Kempe--Toffoli
Cammy--Iafallo--Gaborik
Clifford--Shore--Lewis

3rd line has some soft wingers but Iafallo help them control the play and fish the puck well

Carter and Kopi, historically haven't meshed well. I'd put TT up there and keep Carter on wing with Kempe and Pearson, all 3 have speed and Carter brings stability and vet presence to that line (and size).

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Carter and Kopi, historically haven't meshed well. I'd put TT up there and keep Carter on wing with Kempe and Pearson, all 3 have speed and Carter brings stability and vet presence to that line (and size).

I could definitely see that as an option once some of out injured bodies come back...
Brown - Kopitar - Toffoli
Pearson - Carter - Kempe
Cammalleri - Iafallo - Gaborik
or maybe
Gaborik - Kopitar - Brown
Pearson - Iafallo - Toffoli
Cammalleri - Kempe - Lewis
Clifford - Shore - Auger

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Brown--Kopitar--Carter
Pearson--Kempe--Toffoli
Cammy--Iafallo--Gaborik
Clifford--Shore--Lewis

Nope. Iafallo has done wonders playing with Kopitar and Brown. Don't know why people want to break up that line when they complement each other so well.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Cammalleri-Kempe-Gaborik
Clifford-Shore-Lewis

Reactions: Scottkmlps

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
What’s stranger to me is Iafallo hasn’t played as a devoted center in years, why is everyone so comfortable throwing him there when he’s succeeding elsewhere?

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Nope. Iafallo has done wonders playing with Kopitar and Brown. Don't know why people want to break up that line when they complement each other so well.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Cammalleri-Kempe-Gaborik
Clifford-Shore-Lewis

This right here. Just doesn't make any sense to take Iafallo off that line. Makes no sense to put Carter on Kopi's wing either. You want that depth down the middle. Kopitar & Carter is one of the best one-two punches down the middle in the NHL. Spread the offense around, don't put it all on one line.

Reactions: HookKing

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'd throw Gaborik up that 2nd line with Carter.

Pearson-Carter-Gaborik
Cammaleri-Kempe-Toffoli

TT is frustrating the shit out of me...it's like unless he's a fed a perfect pass, there's not much else he can do.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
it seems to me that Toffoli lost his mojo. He wasn't the same as he was a couple of years ago where he was burying everything like the sniper he was. Recently, he's getting good looks but he's not beating anyone...

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
it seems to me that Toffoli lost his mojo. He wasn't the same as he was a couple of years ago where he was burying everything like the sniper he was. Recently, he's getting good looks but he's not beating anyone...
Not to mention his skating looks slower than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad