2017-18 Champions Hockey League

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Again. Why should the KHL take part? How much money for the winner? Still around 200k for the whole tournament? ChL needs some proper sponsors and broadcasting deals. Until that happens, european top clubs won't care.

Prize money increases next season to 3,7 million euros.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Groups:

| Group A | Group B | Group C | Group D| Group E | Group F | Group G | Group H
Pot 1|Tappara|Brno|Vienna|HV71|Vaxjo|Bern|Munchen|Frolunda
Pot 2|Salzburg|KalPa|Zug|Mannheim|Liberec|TPS|Brynas|ZSC
Pot 3|Wolfsburg|Malmo|JYP|Trinec|Davos|Mountfield|HIFK|KAC
Pot 4|Banska Bystrica|Stavanger|Grodno|Esbjerg|Cardiff|Nottingham|Cracovia|Gap

Weird to not see Kärpät and Sparta in the mix. :laugh: at Kärpät for being one of the biggest catalysts for this whole thing for years now and not even making it the first year the participants are decided by success. And Sparta for being last years finalist, kinda sucks...Then again this is how the format should be.

Annual predictions for who make the play-off stage:

Group A: Tappara and Salzburg
Group B: Brno and KalPa
Group C: Zug and JYP
Group D: HV71 and Mannheim
Group E: Vaxjo and Davos
Group F: Bern and TPS
Group G: Munchen and Brynäs
Group: H: Frölunda and ZSC

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
It's gonna be very interesting tournament

GROUP A : Tappara & Wolfsburg

GROUP B : Brno & Kalpa

GROUP C : Zug & JYP

GROUP D: HV71 & Trinec

GROUP E: Vaxjo & Davos

GROUP F: Bern & Mountfield

GROUP G: Munchen & Brynas

GROUP H: Frolunda & Zurich

Keep an eye on Brno they my dark horse this year

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I definitely hope it starts growing more and more.

Also kinda glad that Matthews is in the NHL now so we don't have North Americans coming in pretending to "know" that the NLA is a deeper and more competitive league than Liiga :laugh:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Group B is a hard group to predict. Could just as easily be Malmö winning that group. I imagine KalPa, Brno and Malmö to win their home games. If Stavanger can steal a point or more from any of those three, which I think they will, that could be the decider.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Not sure if it's been said on here but the Champions hockey league WILL be in the upcoming NHL 18 video game. Including the teams authentic jerseys and stadiums. Great promotion for them.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Not sure if it's been said on here but the Champions hockey league WILL be in the upcoming NHL 18 video game. Including the teams authentic jerseys and stadiums. Great promotion for them.

That will actually be very fun. I hope they take it one step further in the future and integrate it in a GM mode with the European leagues playable.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
That will actually be very fun. I hope they take it one step further in the future and integrate it in a GM mode with the European leagues playable.

I won't hold my breath for that haha but this is a nice addition. Often times I'd make a custom season mode with European teams and that'd be my "Champions league". At the very least a few of us Americans will play with the teams and could bring in more sales in Europe.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I see a lot of complaints about the tournament but I'm fine with it like it is. The quality of hockey is great and the match ups are really interesting. People's eyes open to the tournament as soon as their team has a deep run.

Getting a decent crowd in the finals they can do, but they need better viewing in the group stage.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Apart from Liberec which is always worth to watch there are two dark horses from Czech Republic: Kometa Brno and Hradec Kralove. Both teams have quite stacked rosters and both have very loud fans. Cons are that Hradec Kralove will battle on three fronts (league, CHL and Spengler) and I am not sure if they are able to handle it and Kometa announced before that CHL is not the priority for them. But if crowds show up Brno-Bern could be highlight of this season.

bordshockeypampen

Dec 11, 2013
It's three days before the first games, and I can find nothing on the CHL website offering live streaming packages. Are they not doing that this year?
I think I read somewhere (can't find it now) that all games will be shown on YouTube, geo-blocked for countries where they are on TV.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I think I read somewhere (can't find it now) that all games will be shown on YouTube, geo-blocked for countries where they are on TV.

That's really cool. Good job, CHL.

EDIT: And nicely done with the new and improved website. :handclap:

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
So as long as you don't live in a country that has a team in the tournament, you should be able to watch every game?

If there is no TV-deal in place for {$yourCountry}, you should be able to watch games on youtube. That's how I interpret it.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
If there is no TV-deal in place for {$yourCountry}, you should be able to watch games on youtube. That's how I interpret it.

That's hilarious. When I lived in Canada, I never bothered getting the streaming package cuz I was always at work when the games were on. So I am now in Europe and perfectly prepared to pay for the streaming package and they offer it for free on Youtube. Timing is everything :)

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Can someone confirm that the games will be streamed on YouTube?

I just checked the CHL website and it says the games will be streamed from the CHL website. What that means exactly I do not know but as of 2:00 PM Amsterdam time, there were no links available on the CHL website.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad