2017-18 Art Ross Discussion Thread

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nice phantom assist for McDavid today. League needs to be more consistent with how it rewards assists.
I don't think you understand the game of hockey.

We've been over this multiple times and it's really annoying having to explain such simple things. If there is no possession, a player doesn't lose an assist. McDavid has the puck knocked off of his stick, the Minnesota player never possesses it, Draisaitl gets it over to Lucic who scores.

I swear, same crap last season from you McDavid haters who are convinced he's racking up phantom assists. It'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

OccasionalPoster

Nov 18, 2017
My guess is one of McDavid, Kucherov, Stamkos, and Crosby will win it.

While others have had hot starts to the season, I believe it is just that - a hot start. The numbers of the aforementioned 4 players are not out of their recent norms so I believe they are sustainable.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't think you understand the game of hockey.

We've been over this multiple times and it's really annoying having to explain such simple things. If there is no possession, a player doesn't lose an assist. McDavid has the puck knocked off of his stick, the Minnesota player never possesses it, Draisaitl gets it over to Lucic who scores.

I swear, same crap last season from you McDavid haters who are convinced he's racking up phantom assists. It'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

I'm telling you the league needs to be more consistent. Gaudreau didn't get an assist on this goal because it was deemed Vancouver gained possession.

Minnesota had far more possession than that yet McDavid was awarded the assist where Gaudreau wasn't.

Not the first time an Oiler was gifted phantom assists.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'm telling you the league needs to be more consistent. Gaudreau didn't get an assist on this goal because it was deemed Vancouver gained possession.

Minnesota had far more possession than that yet McDavid was awarded the assist where Gaudreau wasn't.

Not the first time an Oiler was gifted phantom assists.

McDavid had an assist yesterday afternoon off of a won faceoff that he didn't get credited for as well. So you acting as if McDavid is getting credited with all these phantom assists he doesn't deserve is painfully off base.

On that play that's got your panties in such a twist, the Minnesota players never have possession. The puck is knocked off of McDavid's stick and then it bounces off of a Minnesota skate to Draisaitl. It's tough to tell on the Gaudreau one you referenced because that angle doesn't show if the Vancouver player had possession behind the net before he turned it over but it looks like Tanev fully contacts the puck and just gives it away to Ferland. The two plays aren't remotely comparable.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
McDavid had an assist yesterday afternoon off of a won faceoff that he didn't get credited for as well. So you acting as if McDavid is getting credited with all these phantom assists he doesn't deserve is painfully off base.

On that play that's got your panties in such a twist, the Minnesota players never have possession. The puck is knocked off of McDavid's stick and then it bounces off of a Minnesota skate to Draisaitl. It's tough to tell on the Gaudreau one you referenced because that angle doesn't show if the Vancouver player had possession behind the net before he turned it over but it looks like Tanev fully contacts the puck and just gives it away to Ferland. The two plays aren't remotely comparable.

Are you saying that Minnesota players didn't fully contact the puck before Draisaitl gets it? Heck, they had it even longer than the Vancouver dman did.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Are you saying that Minnesota players didn't fully contact the puck before Draisaitl gets it? Heck, they had it even longer than the Vancouver dman did.
"Fully possesses" would have been a better choice of words on my part there.

And no, the Minnesota players never had possession of the puck. They contacted it however which doesn't remove McDavid's assist per NHL rules. It was knocked off McDavid, hits the Minnesota skate, hits McDavid's skate, is missed by Minnesota's #63, bounces back towards the Minny defender and is simultaneously moved towards Lucic with Draisaitl contacting it at the identical time. You see assists like this every single night in the NHL.

I mean, it's not like McDavid needs phantom assists to produce points. You seem to micro-analyze his points regularly though.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Crosby will not even be close unless the league gives him 15 phantom assists.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
"Fully possesses" would have been a better choice of words on my part there.

And no, the Minnesota players never had possession of the puck. They contacted it however which doesn't remove McDavid's assist per NHL rules. It was knocked off McDavid, hits the Minnesota skate, hits McDavid's skate, is missed by Minnesota's #63, bounces back towards the Minny defender and is simultaneously moved towards Lucic with Draisaitl contacting it at the identical time. You see assists like this every single night in the NHL.

I mean, it's not like McDavid needs phantom assists to produce points. You seem to micro-analyze his points regularly though.

Show me another instance where I have "micro analyzed" McDavid's points.

I was just pointing out the inconsistency in the way the league awards assists. If McDavid earned that assist, than they should have given one to Gaudreau in the instance I highlighted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad