2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No difference between what you described and every other series they lost in the past except 2016.

Fair enough but there's a noticeable uptick in their buy in, physicality and consistent effort level with all of them sacrificing their bodies to block shots, sticking up for each other etc. Of course, better luck has played a role too as is usually the case with teams that advance.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
goaltenders are a part of the team you know
btw...did Ebs play in the World Championships? what a ghost as per usual
15 goals, 20 assists, 35 points in 43 games in the World Championships. What a ghost as per usual.

ok, but my point was this is the least talented team they've had in years yet the best "team" cause it take more than talent to win
It takes luck and good goaltending, both of which they're actually getting this year.

the Knights had like 7 guys with career years...they're an all-time 'anomaly'
let's see how they do next year with pressure on them
They probably won't do as well next year. They're making the most of this year. They could win the Cup, and if they do it hardly matters what happens next year. They've raised the bar for the other 30 teams to match.

I also would bet that GMGM will actually try to upgrade his team in the offseason regardless of what happens in the Finals.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nah. I moved on from this season a long time ago. Try it sometime.

Oh and suck it Vegas. Lets Go Caps.
I like you Knights but not for the next 2 weeks.
Oh last season is behind me. As is par for the course for the Oilers it's always about next season.

...Unfortunately. A lot needs to go right for the team to succeed next season.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Oh last season is behind me. As is par for the course for the Oilers it's always about next season.

...Unfortunately. A lot needs to go right for the team to succeed next season.

You should send a twitter message to the Oilers every 30 seconds to let them know they need to improve. I bet it would help!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
15 goals, 20 assists, 35 points in 43 games in the World Championships. What a ghost as per usual.
this year:
2 goals...5 points, 9th in team scoring
ghost

It takes luck and good goaltending, both of which they're actually getting this year.
you also need a complete buy-in from everyone to shut down the highest powered offense in the league at ES
Stamkos and Kucherov had no goals at ES

They probably won't do as well next year. They're making the most of this year. They could win the Cup, and if they do it hardly matters what happens next year. They've raised the bar for the other 30 teams to match.

I also would bet that GMGM will actually try to upgrade his team in the offseason regardless of what happens in the Finals.
so why bother comparing them to anyone? the ultimate outlier

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
this year:
2 goals...5 points, 9th in team scoring
ghost

Clearly his fault they didn't medal. I'm sure the crappy coaching and surrounding roster had nothing to do with it.

you also need a complete buy-in from everyone to shut down the highest powered offense in the league at ES
Stamkos and Kucherov had no goal at ES

They've also been to 3 of the last 4 CFs. I think they're okay.

so why bother comparing them to anyone? the ultimate outlier

I said probably. They could still do well especially if they upgrade the roster. If MAF is healthy the entire year there's no reason they can't go back to the playoffs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Caps aren't a better team.

They're a worse team getting a few more bounces and a bit better goaltending.
Winning in playoffs is often about who wants it more. Whats the overall team desire look like?

The two teams advancing to the SC final have it this year, Its not a fixed or static quantity that stays around.

Hawks, Kings have all lost their desire. Pens, Preds imo were too tired after getting to the finals last season and having played a lot of hockey. Tampa too have played a fair amount of hockey the last half dozen years. Caps had more desire than them. With the Jets they lost belief. A team without playoff experience didn't know how to bounce back from adversity. With the Khights its Fleury and pure desire with a whole team elevating its game and playing the best hockey any of them ever have. With the Knights it truly is Lightning in a bottle. You don't know they'll ever be back. But it is that for both clubs.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Clearly his fault they didn't medal. I'm sure the crappy coaching and surrounding roster had nothing to do with it.
just like his performance in last year's playoffs, maybe a goal from him and they medal

They've also been to 3 of the last 4 CFs. I think they're okay.
and Washington basically dominated that series at ES....outshot them by a large margin
heck, they dominated every playoff series they've been in

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm tempted to say too many Oilers and conditioned losing. Losing apparently being OK.

Well I don't know about this. McDavid(derp :P) and RNH were Canada's best forwards all tournament. After those two basically every forward on the roster didn't perform to expectations.

I think the easiest explanation is that chemistry isn't simple and one of the biggest things about success in a tournament like this is finding it quickly. That's not always going to work out and can happen to any nation.

Also the goaltending was a trainwreck so there is that.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
amazing, Capitals lose "talent" in the offseason and it makes them a better TEAM
That almost sounds like an attempt to legitimize the Oilers bumbling trades and bleeding talent.
Or maybe its an attempt to somehow liken the Oilers team talent with that of the Capitals.
Either way its pretty funny stuff.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
just like his performance in last year's playoffs, maybe a goal from him and they medal

They scored 3 goals in losses to the Swiss and States and Eberle's the only guy that could've stepped up?

and Washington basically dominated that series at ES....outshot them by a large margin
heck, they dominated every playoff series they've been in
Yeah and they've done that many times before and lost. They're finally getting the goaltending needed to win a Cup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That almost sounds like an attempt to legitimize the Oilers bumbling trades and bleeding talent.
Or maybe its an attempt to somehow liken the Oilers team talent with that of the Capitals.
Either way its pretty funny stuff.
There's always an excuse for piss poor management for some people.

Reactions: harpoon

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They scored 3 goals in losses to the Swiss and States and Eberle's the only guy that could've stepped up?

of course more people should of gotten better but Ebs is the guy most here are still crying about and he did his usual disappearing act.

Yeah and they've done that many times before and lost. They're finally getting the goaltending needed to win a Cup.
and they're mentally tougher from beating Pittsburgh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not meaning to harp on things this AM, Already got the digs in last night. But this more analytical.

You can basically see what gambit teams are making with some of this. Pay particular attention to Weight.

Sizing up the NHL: 2017-18 NHL teams by age, height and...

Tampa by weight is the smallest team in the league. It isn't surprising. They tend to value pint sized talent over other details and their forward lineup is shockingly small. They have only 2 forwards that are 2oo lbs and those guys barely play. They insert Miller just to try to get something physical going. Theres just no way you can win it all in the playoffs with a team built out like that.

This year the Caps came in as one of the bigger clubs and weigh as much as WC clubs. They basically have the stature of California Redwood clubs. On average the Caps are 12lbs heavier than the Lightning. It was felt in the series. Its like not even being in the same weight class.

Interestingly 10/15 of the heaviest clubs in the league are WC clubs, again not surprising. The Knights have also gotten bigger since this stat was put out. If you look at who is actually seeing ice with Vegas they are also a +200lb club.

Anyway theres been lots of talk about the NHL going the way of faster, smaller, more talented but the NHL is really going full NFL here. Teams and players have NEVER been bigger. The average NHL player is now over 200lbs. That used to be considered large in hockey terms.

ps The small team complaint is coming up a lot in the Tampa board. The fans seem onto this. But then they also say Point is the future of the franchise.. Tampa are way too small and getting smaller.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well I don't know about this. McDavid(derp :P) and RNH were Canada's best forwards all tournament. After those two basically every forward on the roster didn't perform to expectations.

I think the easiest explanation is that chemistry isn't simple and one of the biggest things about success in a tournament like this is finding it quickly. That's not always going to work out and can happen to any nation.

Also the goaltending was a trainwreck so there is that.

Again I didn't watch any of it but just going on boxcars but the team seemed to have PP success, and success against weak knee clubs like Korea but not much else. The team went 4-4 in the tournament. Take out two games against teams that probably shouldn't even be there and all we got was 2 wins. On paper it looked like a dismal outing. If people that watched feel that the team played well then I'm fine with accepting that observation.

Reactions: oXo Cube

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Again I didn't watch any of it but just going on boxcars but the team seemed to have PP success, and success against weak knee clubs like Korea but not much else. The team went 4-4 in the tournament. Take out two games against teams that probably shouldn't even be there and all we got was 2 wins. On paper it looked like a dismal outing. If people that watched feel that the team played well then I'm fine with accepting that observation.

No, they certainly didn't play well as a whole.

The Oilers players(even the ones not playing for Team Canada) had a good tournament as individuals though so I find it hard to blame them is all I'm saying.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad