2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I honestly have no idea why you are bring up Eberle as if it was an isolated instance. He's like the fourth (fifth if you count the draft picks) piece of talent the Oilers have shipped out. I'm sure you can understand that the effect has been cumulative.
because he was the only major piece lost from a 103 point team to a 78 point team

Cap space is a need. I heard it all season long. They also had young players like that Vrana kid who stepped up hug. Oilers had Caggiula.
Caggulia had 13 goals and 20 points
Vrana had 14 goals and 27 points
that's a terrible comparison

Meanwhile the Oilers lost a lot of talent and finished in the bottom ten again. It sounds like you believe losing talent is some kind of recipe for success. :laugh:
they literally only lost Eberle in the offseason:laugh: (and gained Strome)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is the biggest thing I always try to remember when having any discussion on this board.

At the end of the day we're all on the same side here. Nobody that posts regularly is happy with where the Oilers are in the standings.

This makes you one of the best posters I ever encounter here. That perspective. You accept what people post and that they can post different things, views. Wish for more of that here.

Myself I think people can post what they want but like yourself I want to see views substantiated, fleshed out. Not just "Jets suck, its only Hellabuck"

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Regular season means very little. Winning Cups is the goal. I don't think I've ever talked well of the Dallas Stars. They are one of the clubs I love to bet against.

The Caps were able to lean on the Lightning. Quite a lot. By game 6,7 it seemed like quite a problem that Tampa didn't have the lineup to solve. They tried to adjust by cheapshots and running people into the boards head first but that crap only gets you so far. I do find it funny that not only did Paquette not get a penalty on the play but the officials main interest seemed to be protecting him from harm after he injured an opponent with a dirty hit.

Most of the Tampa fans feel size was a factor in the series. I think they are right.

Regular season is an indicator that a team is doing something right at least. To say it's means very little is disingenuous.

The fact that you love to bet against the Dallas Stars, one of the teams that is the biggest in the league, seems to undercut your entire point.

Not to mention that fact that the Lightning did get 1 game away from the Final this year. That's a pretty decent postseason run. Where did the Lightning rank when they went to the Final in 2015, and Round 3 in 2016? It seems to me that the Lightning are a team that does just fine while being a smaller team. Only one team can win the Cup each season out of the entire league. It should come as no surprise that excellent teams don't win the Cup every year.

The Blues and Stars are teams that you seem to have loved to hate as regular season teams (the Blues in particular you have derided over the years as being a team that blows it all in the regular season and then falters late) but are some of the biggest teams in the league. These stats are all over the map and show basically no pattern at all.

Yes, being bigger would be an advantage at times - but it's only one of so many factors, that it's funny that you are trying to sift through any possible thing you can to create a funny narrative about a team you never watch. I don't know why you can't just admit that you never watch this team and have no real good information about them. Sometimes just admitting ignorance about something is the best way forward. It doesn't make you stupid, it makes you human. We all have blind spots. Don't ever ask me about cars. I know nothing!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Here's the thing, and it exists on both sides. comments like "Chia cheerleaders" and "management boot lickers" is what degrades these conversations into a pissfest.

I do respect you as a long time poster and we go way back through some extraordinarily crappy times as Oiler fans but you do, and try not to take it personally, tend to throw out digs like the ones I mentioned above during heated debates. Of course it's all in good fun when it boils down to it and it's not like I'm overly sensitive generally but I guess it's a respect thing, I just feel like those comments in quotes are a bit disrespectful and only serve to frustrate people. FTR, my "herd" comment can be construed the same way in some respects but I do feel like there's a group of posters that immediately jump on those who mention any positive about the Oilers and/or Chiarelli and there are some posters who always remind us about how much the Oilers suck in every thread whether it's Oiler centric or not.

I'll just add that I'm as frustrated as anybody about this past season and I'm a little nervous about what will transpire this offseason because of what Chia's desperation might force him to do but lets try to respect each other. After all, we're all in this together for better or worse. Oiler hockey is a helluva drug. ;)

Just of note though this board is so testy (and you too) and that I rarely if ever succumb to comments like the bolded and yet I was attacked by multiple posters in a recent thread. Just for voicing frustration about how often I hear one player or another is suffering through season long injury.

Heres what really happens here. Its summer, no new content, and pissfest happens in an instant and really over nothing. People entirely mistake what others are stating and go jugular. With that I should take a breather for awhile because not much good comes from the offseason discussion.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This makes you one of the best posters I ever encounter here. That perspective. You accept what people post and that they can post different things, views. Wish for more of that here.

Myself I think people can post what they want but like yourself I want to see views substantiated, fleshed out. Not just "Jets suck, its only Hellabuck"
I'm more of a Cloned fan. Nice little Avatar that gives me a smile

I do like Frye though too

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Regular season is an indicator that a team is doing something right at least. To say it's means very little is disingenuous.

The fact that you love to bet against the Dallas Stars, one of the teams that is the biggest in the league, seems to undercut your entire point.

Not to mention that fact that the Lightning did get 1 game away from the Final this year. That's a pretty decent postseason run. Where did the Lightning rank when they went to the Final in 2015, and Round 3 in 2016? It seems to me that the Lightning are a team that does just fine while being a smaller team. Only one team can win the Cup each season out of the entire league. It should come as no surprise that excellent teams don't win the Cup every year.

The Blues and Stars are teams that you seem to have loved to hate as regular season teams (the Blues in particular you have derided over the years as being a team that blows it all in the regular season and then falters late) but are some of the biggest teams in the league. These stats are all over the map and show basically no pattern at all.

Yes, being bigger would be an advantage at times - but it's only one of so many factors, that it's funny that you are trying to sift through any possible thing you can to create a funny narrative about a team you never watch. I don't know why you can't just admit that you never watch this team and have no real good information about them. Sometimes just admitting ignorance about something is the best way forward. It doesn't make you stupid, it makes you human. We all have blind spots. Don't ever ask me about cars. I know nothing!

Regular season and playoffs are different breeds of hockey. They always have been, probably continues. Thing is every night in playoffs you play good clubs, stiffer opposition, tighter checking than you do in regular season.

I just linked the weight information because its interesting. Its not by accident that Tampa is the smallest team in the league. Again they value talent and speed. Was it enough? You can look at it as success if you want but Cooper isn't seeing it that way today and none of the Lightning are. I don't think Yzerman is either. What I do know is the Stamkos era already passed and nothing. The Lightning are a good team, and often in the mix. they just aren't a dynasty, and never were. I admit I know less about the Lightning, always have, you could admit you were wrong thinking the team would be dynastic or that Tyler Johnson was a perennial star player.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Regular season and playoffs are different breeds of hockey. They always have been, probably continues. Thing is every night in playoffs you play good clubs, stiffer opposition, tighter checking than you do in regular season.

I just linked the weight information because its interesting. Its not by accident that Tampa is the smallest team in the league. Again they value talent and speed. Was it enough? You can look at it as success if you want but Cooper isn't seeing it that way today and none of the Lightning are. I don't think Yzerman is either. What I do know is the Stamkos era already passed and nothing. The Lightning are a good team, and often in the mix. they just aren't a dynasty, and never were. I admit I know less about the Lightning, always have, you could admit you were wrong thinking the team would be dynastic or that Tyler Johnson was a perennial star player.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
because he was the only major piece lost from a 103 point team to a 78 point team. they literally only lost Eberle in the offseason:laugh: (and gained Strome)
You don't understand the word cumulative?
Caggulia had 13 goals and 20 points Vrana had 14 goals and 27 points
that's a terrible comparison
Sorry I thought we were talking about playoffs.
Don't watch Capitals games so this is the first I've really seen him play. He shits all over Caggiula.

Reactions: frag2

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Shocking that you would respond in this fashion.

I'm kind of sick of the constant misery on this board even in threads that have nothing to do with the Oilers (not that the Oilers don't deserve a healthy dose of criticism but you get my point). If that makes me a "boot polisher" then by all means, have fun with it.
It's like if somebody dare to bring up one positive of Chia, even going back to his Bruins days, the herd immediately attacks and turns it into a negative somehow (again, not that Chia doesn't deserve a healthy does of criticism).

Same here, it's always the same people who start it too. Think I'm taking a break from this forum until the draft. It's so tiring reading about the same crap over and over again in every thread.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Same here, it's always the same people who start it too. Think I'm taking a break from this forum until the draft. It's so tiring reading about the same crap over and over again in every thread.

IMO

It is not just this board--but the entire site that is starting to get to me and have me looking around for other areas of hockey enjoyment

Reactions: McRpro

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A bunch of posters cluck at everybody, everybody leaves. I have inlaws like this..;)

jk

Enjoy the summer folks, better things probably than agonizing over this clubs offseason moves.

But who am I kidding? I'll try to limit but rainy days and blistering heat days sometimes I'll post.

Lets hope Fall is better news.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Understandable but a shame. I'll definitely miss your excellent contributions, especially in the Draft Thread. Hopefully next season is better and we don't have to go through as much of this.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
John Tavares getting full-court press from Islanders - Sportsnet.ca

4. We probably won’t know the truth until training camp, but there is a chance Ryan Kesler does not play in 2018–19. Anaheim’s centre gutted through 48 regular-season and playoff games, his discomfort and pain obvious to teammates and opponents alike. From what I understand, he will not be having surgery (that’s been done). Instead, he’s undergoing some aggressive rehab and treatment in an effort to improve the hip area. The team and agent are not commenting, but word is he is not interested in retiring, wants to play and is doing everything he can to get there. But it might be a situation where he sits out and tries to come back in September 2019.

Good riddance. Maybe if he stopped dry humping opposition star players, he'd still have a hip

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

4. We probably won’t know the truth until training camp, but there is a chance Ryan Kesler does not play in 2018–19. Anaheim’s centre gutted through 48 regular-season and playoff games, his discomfort and pain obvious to teammates and opponents alike. From what I understand, he will not be having surgery (that’s been done). Instead, he’s undergoing some aggressive rehab and treatment in an effort to improve the hip area. The team and agent are not commenting, but word is he is not interested in retiring, wants to play and is doing everything he can to get there. But it might be a situation where he sits out and tries to come back in September 2019.

Good riddance. Maybe if he stopped dry humping opposition star players, he'd still have a hip
Good, hes a loser, I hope he is in alot of pain and suffering.

Reactions: oobga and frag2

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

They say hips don't lie and his are telling me he's a crybaby that will never win anything.

Reactions: oobga and frag2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce