2017-18 Around the League | Congratulations Washington Capitals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I want the Oilers to have success just as much as anyone else. I was happy with what management did to get to the playoffs and then rather perturbed at what they did afterward.

If we can have Hawks, Penguins, or Kings-like success I could care less who they employ. But until we become a consistent threat, I will hold management accountable.

I am sure the Oilers management are really feeling like they are held accountable by your daily posts that they don't play good hockey...lol

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You know, in all my 48 years on this planet I don't think I've ever outright cheered for a team in the finals that wasn't the Oilers. Sure there's been a team here and there that I would have a slight preference to have win, but never go out of my way to watch a game and be emotionally invested in the outcome.

This time, I will be emotionally invested in seeing Washington win it all. If there's a single non-Oiler player that I dearly wish to see gliding around the ice with the Cup over his head, it's Alexander Ovechkin. I want to see that.

I also want to see the Washington fanbase celebrate a Cup. IMO they're far more deserving of such a victory than the Vegas fanbase. I don't think they would appreciate it nearly as much as Washington fans would, who haven't seen a Cup Champion in all the years the franchise has been around. It would irk me to see Vegas win it, I was the same way when Colorado won their 1st Cup. Just my opinion.

Exactly how I feel. I've never cheered for a secondary team as hard as I'm cheering for Washington and Ovi. I actually jumped out of my seat cheering for every goal they scored, never done that before for a non-favorite team. I really think it's their year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I am sure the Oilers management are really feeling like they are held accountable by your daily posts that they don't play good hockey...lol
They don't know what accountability looks or feels like when the OBC is still employed. Hopefully they find out sooner rather than later.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
You know, in all my 48 years on this planet I don't think I've ever outright cheered for a team in the finals that wasn't the Oilers. Sure there's been a team here and there that I would have a slight preference to have win, but never go out of my way to watch a game and be emotionally invested in the outcome.

This time, I will be emotionally invested in seeing Washington win it all. If there's a single non-Oiler player that I dearly wish to see gliding around the ice with the Cup over his head, it's Alexander Ovechkin. I want to see that.

I also want to see the Washington fanbase celebrate a Cup. IMO they're far more deserving of such a victory than the Vegas fanbase. I don't think they would appreciate it nearly as much as Washington fans would, who haven't seen a Cup Champion in all the years the franchise has been around. It would irk me to see Vegas win it, I was the same way when Colorado won their 1st Cup. Just my opinion.

Agreed on all accounts. The NHL is dangling by the tiniest thread of legitimacy right now. A Capitals win would at least maintain that.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
They don't know what accountability looks or feels like when the OBC is still employed. Hopefully they find out sooner rather than later.

Hopefully they have subscribed to this thread so they can get your feedback.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hopefully they have subscribed to this thread so they can get your feedback.
Hopefully they realized they missed the playoffs last year by a considerable margin while paying the best player on the planet the best deal they're ever going to get, which is completely gone and have now saddled him with bloated contracts on a very mediocre team.

Failure is acceptable around the Oilers organization for reasons I don't understand.

Also subscribing to the ATL thread to get feedback on the Oilers would be something Oilers management would actually do.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hopefully they realized they missed the playoffs last year by a considerable margin while paying the best player on the planet the best deal they're ever going to get, which is completely gone and have now saddled him with bloated contracts on a very mediocre team.

Failure is acceptable around the Oilers organization for reasons I don't understand.

Also subscribing to the ATL thread to get feedback on the Oilers would be something Oilers management would actually do.

They probably have no idea that they underperformed last season. You better keep reminding them and us even more often.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I know this is sarcasm but they really don't seem to view last season as a massive failure.

No, I mean I had no idea the team did poorly last year either until you brought it up for the 1,197th time. Only then did I finally realise. I'll probably forget in the next 13 seconds though, so you better keep bringing it up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No, I mean I had no idea the team did poorly last year either until you brought it up for the 1,197th time. Only then did I finally realise. I'll probably forget in the next 13 seconds though, so you better keep bringing it up.
Can do!

Missed the playoffs by double digits in points while McDavid put up 108 points.

Maybe send a note to your buddies in the front office. Think you can do that for me?

Reactions: harpoon

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Can do!

Missed the playoffs by double digits in points while McDavid put up 108 points.

Maybe send a note to your buddies in the front office. Think you can do that for me?

Sorry, what were we talking about again? I was watching Gretzky videos and forgot.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sorry, what were we talking about again? I was watching Gretzky videos and forgot.
Chia, go upgrade the defense please.

amazing, Capitals lose "talent" in the offseason and it makes them a better TEAM
What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

We lost talent and became a worse team.

The Caps have always been a good team, they had to break through sooner or later.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
amazing, Capitals lose "talent" in the offseason and it makes them a better TEAM

Postseason is a lot about luck and bounces. They have always been able to do this but ran into a hot team at the wrong time, had some bad bounces, or had a few off games at the worst possible moment. There is way more luck (combined with talent of course) that goes into the playoffs than people want to admit.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

We lost talent and became a worse team.

The Caps have always been a good team, they had to break through sooner or later.
and the Isles gained talent and became a worse team....

look at the Cup finalists...a team full of castoffs versus the least "talented" Capitals team in years...yet the most mentally tough Caps team ever

shining examples that it takes more than talent to win in the NHL

Reactions: Night Witch

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Postseason is a lot about luck and bounces. They have always been able to do this but ran into a hot team at the wrong time, had some bad bounces, or had a few off games at the worst possible moment. There is way more luck (combined with talent of course) that goes into the playoffs than people want to admit.
and goaltending

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
and the Isles gained talent and became a worse team....

look at the Cup finalists...a team full of castoffs versus the least "talented" Capitals team in years...yet the most mentally tough Caps team ever

shining examples that it takes more than talent to win in the NHL
Eberle didn't make them a worse team one bit. They had really, really shitty goaltending that did them in. They scored 23 more goals than they did last year. Not sure where those came from....

You still need talent to win in the league. The Caps may not be the most talented version of the Caps but they're still more talented than we are.

As for the Knights, they're tough AND talented. They had 7 players who scored 40 points, 5 who scored 50, and 4 who scored 60. The Oilers? 3 players who scored more than 40 points.

It takes more than talent but if you don't have talent it takes a hell of a lot more.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Caps aren't a better team.

They're a worse team getting a few more bounces and a bit better goaltending.

They have been getting the bounces especially in the two close out games against the Pens and Lightning but they definitely play like more of a TEAM than they have in years past, much more structured and in sync with each other. They pretty much controlled the majority of the Pens and Lightning series at even strength.

Also, why does GreatKeith have to bring up how much the Oilers suck in every thread? We get it, it was a bad season. Lets move on, or at least keep it in relevant threads.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They have been getting the bounces especially in the two close out games against the Pens and Lightning but they definitely play like more of a TEAM than they have in years past, much more structured and in sync with each other. They pretty much controlled the majority of the Pens and Lightning series at even strength.

Also, why does GreatKeith have to bring up how much the Oilers suck in every thread? We get it, it was a bad season. Lets move on, or at least keep it in relevant threads.
Because it's fun. ;) Try it sometime.

Go Vegas!

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

No difference between what you described and every other series they lost in the past except 2016.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Eberle didn't make them a worse team one bit. They had really, really ****ty goaltending that did them in. They scored 23 more goals than they did last year. Not sure where those came from....
goaltenders are a part of the team you know
btw...did Ebs play in the World Championships? what a ghost as per usual

You still need talent to win in the league. The Caps may not be the most talented version of the Caps but they're still more talented than we are.
ok, but my point was this is the least talented team they've had in years yet the best "team" cause it take more than talent to win

As for the Knights, they're tough AND talented. They had 7 players who scored 40 points, 5 who scored 50, and 4 who scored 60. The Oilers? 3 players who scored more than 40 points.

It takes more than talent but if you don't have talent it takes a hell of a lot more.
the Knights had like 7 guys with career years...they're an all-time 'anomaly'
let's see how they do next year with pressure on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad