2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Long-term security > short term value. He NEEDED at least 4.5m over 3 years to pay back 4 creditors (they get 10% of this contract). 2 others are unknown. With the way this is structured, he probably gets ~8m of the 16m before taxes... so ~4-5m after (might be a touch more with his income situation). That should give him enough security to live a basic life in retirement if he is smart with it.
Thank God for him. I feel sorry for that guy

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Turns 33 in August, coming off of MAJOR foot surgery and now major knee surgery.

Already plays a heavy style and isn't the best skater to begin with. He's done being a top pairing defensemen. He'll probably be a 2nd pairing caliber guy for the next couple of years, then bottom into a 3rd pairing guy for the duration of his deal, if of course he isn't on LTIR.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I really wonder who else they could have gotten for Subban. At the time, he was one of the most valuable players in the league (and still is). They could have a top line center, or a package of multiple young players and picks. But instead, they have the broken down shell of a former star on what is turning into a terrible contract.

They are almost to the point where the best case scenario for Weber is a career ending injury.

Reactions: MacBradley

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Turns 33 in August, coming off of MAJOR foot surgery and now major knee surgery.

Already plays a heavy style and isn't the best skater to begin with. He's done being a top pairing defensemen. He'll probably be a 2nd pairing caliber guy for the next couple of years, then bottom into a 3rd pairing guy for the duration of his deal, if of course he isn't on LTIR.

He was a stud for a long time. Perhaps the mileage got to him.

I feel kind of bad for him. I hope he's remembered for how he played for a dozen years, rather than the guy on the other end of the Subban trade.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I really wonder who else they could have gotten for Subban. At the time, he was one of the most valuable players in the league (and still is). They could have a top line center, or a package of multiple young players and picks. But instead, they have the broken down shell of a former star on what is turning into a terrible contract.

They are almost to the point where the best case scenario for Weber is a career ending injury.
Reportedly the Canadiens asked for Taylor Hall from the Oilers, or it could be the other way around where the Oilers asked for P.K. Subban for Taylor Hall. Regardless, an agreement could not be reached.

member 116861

3 horse race, IMO. Sens, Habs, and Nucks appear to be the worst 3 as of right now. Isles and Canes won't be great either, but I don't think they're as bad.

I think the Canes are much better than the others. Canucks will be better than the Habs and Sens.

Draft will probably be

Habs
Sens
Canucks
Isles

Reactions: 22FUTON9

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
And a dumpster fire of goaltending options.

If you want to know what's wrong with Carolina just look at their pro scouting in terms of which goalies they target. I liked the Darling pick-up and I believe he can bounce back but why would you not grab someone who isn't one of the worst goalies in the league? This is essentially the Canes hoping to roll a 20 or going all-in on two jacks.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How does Bergevin make it through this summer as GM? Missed out on Tavares, missed out on ROR. The only notable player he signed in FA was Thomas Plekanec.

Now Weber has knee surgery three months after their season ended, and will be out until December/January. He can't even manage a medical decision for a key player.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Canes' problem was ownership. Then the team got sold. And now their problem is ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad